Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2009 EOS Lux. The heated seats heat up extremely slowly but I’m not sure if it is normal or not. It generally starts to very slightly feel warm at 10 minutes and then at the 15 minute mark does it feel like it’s at its max temp.
I purchased the vehicle in 2014 as certified preowned and the heated seat function was completely nonfunctional. I was told it was a fuse issue. Since then it has been functional but slow as mentioned above. I’ve mentioned it to the dealer multiple times during routine service but they tell me it is to spec. I took it to another dealership and they replaced the entire bottom half of the seat wear your buttocks sit on but it didn’t make a difference. My question is if fellow owners have this experience and truly It takes this long to heat up. Thank you so much for your feedback.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
MY07 has heated leather seats but I hardly use them. When Wifey has driven the car she always has them turned on but I find my butt burning and turn them off! If you have very large butts it might take longer to feel the heat! :)

I don't think your service shop has the right approach to your problem? The seat heaters each have a defined power consumption in Watts. There may be some electronic control and heat sensoring, but initially the seat heaters when cold should take their full rated power. I haven't checked what the element power ratings are, but both seats should be the same.

I would attach a current meter to the heated seat fuse line and measure the maximum current taken by each seat when the seat heaters are switched on from cold. They should be about the same. If they are different, start looking at wiring and connectors. I don't know if they are using normal resistor elements or self regulating temperature thermistor heat pads, but you can discover a lot from current draw behaviour. Watch the current draw over say 20 minutes. If current draw is dropping the same on both seats slowly or cuts off, that will be caused by a (over temperature?) temperature control or timer element and is probably there to stop the seat and you bursting into flames. If the power to each seat heater is reducing more on one side than the other or cuts off sooner, that suggests a defective heat sensor or seat pad if it's a thermistor pad type.

·
Eos lover
65 Posts
My seats take at least 10 mins to get to max temp & always have done, owned it for ten years now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts