Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Afternoon ,

The drivers side wing mirror housing (metal part as seen in pic 1) is in need of a repaint as the paint is flaking off and looks a mess.

I've done a few small spray paint jobs on cars before but , i think, this is aluminum and not steel. Has anyone painted this part before / advice on painting it would be helpful ?

Second question is , if the mirror is folded in there seems to be some black almost felt like tape stuck onto the metal part , assume to help the top part fold in , but i can't seem to find any to replace it was / not sure what it is . Does anyone else have this on their car ?

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi, can't help with the felt, but if you're painting aluminium, use an etch primer, nothing else will stick. The best one is Bilt Hamber and I've tried a few. Martin.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yes, the felt tape is meant to be there - I have it on my mirrors too. I'd have thought it would be some kind of noise or vibration damping.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I think it's there for 2 reasons:

1. To stop any abrasion between surfaces as the mirror is moved.
2. To block wind which at speed might cause an annoying whistle in your ear with the windows or top down.

The downside is it can trap water which if acidic or salty will add to the paint problem if it's not done well.

If you can't get adhesive backed felt, try and find some very thin black neoprene sheet - that won't hold water.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the replys . Good to know . Its next on the list of jobs ...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
I've managed to got some time to look at this again . I removed the wing mirror housing (need to remove the door card and 3 bolts) . Then striped down the wing mirror as much as possibible . However i could not find a way to remove the motor from the housing (all other parts removed as well). Any ideas / has anyone done this . In the end I bought a new housing from TPS (£250 ) and replaced it as a snapped a screw that holds the puddle light in place (Arrrrrr...) . I do need to remove and paint the drivers side , and would like to stripe it down and repaint vs buy new. Any ideas how these come apart ? A couple of pics to show the part and how i remove the door clips that get stuck in the door when you remove the card. Best get new ones from tps around £0.60p each as they snap off

Regards

Attachments

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Reactions: Yorkshireterrier
1 - 7 of 7 Posts