Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new to me EOS just arrived and I have a list to tackle and I’d appreciate any help this forum can offer. Let’s call her ‘Chequered Past’ - she’s a BLK/BLK 3.2L with just 25k, she starts right up but will not take a gear, all P-R-N-D, etc have the same result, no propulsion. Yet, the trucker that collected her for me said she drove right onto the trailer. :/. What the heck! Next, power drivers seat is stuck, unresponsive all the way forward. And the trunk will not open, including the release pull at the ski sock area. Also, I can see the ‘claw’ that holds trunk down is in the release position, so who knows. Thx ahead for any help! Enjoy your day

·
Registered
309 Posts
What have you done to try diagnose it already? How much experience with cars do you have?

I would have thought a few of those things will throw a fault code, which can be read with a VW-specific scanner.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Use the search function and you’ll find plenty about the trunk release claws on here.

As for the seats, they can get stuck in that position. If you can hear the motor running, you need to lift the threaded tracks that the seat moves on and then the seat will move. Check the track for foreign objects!

You should get an appropriate diagnostic tool (see link in my signature for a guide) to help you identify and solve other issues. I don’t know what’s up with your gearbox but the right diagnostics will give you a valuable second opinion before you go to a mechanic.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Before spending money on diagnostics and trying to work out what might be wrong, why not get a report and repair estimate from a V.W dealer first? They will charge you for a diagnostics scan and their investigation, but you should get back the measure of problems in price terms. You can then decide if repairs are within your competence, hand it over to them or get another quote from an independent garage?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I smell a rat - if you buy a car from a dealer and it doesn't work, you go back to the dealer PDQ.
If you buy a car privately, you don't get it delivered on a truck.
If you buy a car from Copart, or direct from auction, it may very well have the combination of no comeback and delivered on a truck. The wisdom in buying cars with issues from eg Copart is to read between the lines of the description and to know the faults, including the approximate cost to repair, then do a sum based on the final value - repair cost - profit to determine the max bid amount.
Auctions are currently online only and you need to be an account holder, ie a dealer (at least in the UK).

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I was thinking the same. They winched it on the delivery truck and didn't actually drive it? We are in the new online age of buying off page (or rather screen) and trusting specifications and statements as truthful reality when the truth is 'Caveat Emptor'. It's now more important to read Terms & Conditions first. Buying a great sounding car full of this and that and a great looking photo isn't a good buy if it doesn't work or costs more than you paid to get it working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everybody for their good thoughts and general help. I'm a VW head from way back and have MKI, MKII, and MKIV, and MKVI examples. I saw this EOS online and bought it largely because it is cosmetically very nice and has the sweet 3.2 motor. Yes, bought it sight unseen. :( The prior owner bought this EOS at a car auction and then essentially gave up on the repairs. Very nice guy, and his private mechanic deemed the car was not worth the expense of chasing down the electrical issues. So I bought it with high hopes and from this forum was hoping to get some experienced technical insights to find the fixes this EOS needs. We'll see LOL. I will probably not bring it to the local VW dealer because they have a well deserved poor reputation. Though I do have a very good private VW tech to take it to when he has time and when I have exhausted my attempts to fix.

So here we are.
1) The EOS main issue seems to be from past water leaks. I did get the trunk open and the spare tire well was FULL of water. I will look into the 2009+ seal updates. The motor and its foam surround in the rear of the trunk were water logged. After some swabbing, the foam is now dry, spare tire well is as good as new and I will look to R/R the motor.
2) With a jump, the car starts fine and did engage drive and reverse, so she is the barn now. The prior owner's mechanic said the car started and drove fine, but after ten minutes or so would go into limp mode.
3) Driver's floor is wet, will investigate this.
4) Every warning light is on on the instrument panel. The radio does not power up. All power windows work. Sunroof works. Power passenger seat moves. Power drivers seat stuck forward. I do have the VAG COM on my laptop and frankly don't really know how to use it, so it's time to learn LOL.

I appreciate your time and advice. Cheers

·
Registered
309 Posts
Normally job #1 of this type of project is to either fully charge, or replace, the battery so it eliminates low voltage issues. On a 3.2 Eos...........

I wish you the best of luck, as Duncan Valentine would say.....I'm oot!

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Hope you got rid of the foam box around the pump completely? Search here for issues and help. There is plenty already posted to read.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, thank you vox magna. Will search. Also, a VW expert tells me to vaseline the rubber seal between trunk area and top to reduce the water leakage, and that the wet top actuator motor can be removed, dismantled, cleaned, and reused. Let's hope so.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Good luck with your expert optimistic advice. Once water is left for any time around the EOS pump, corrosion often occurs on the copper wired solenoids and their plungers. Most have found they need a replacement pump. V.W specify their own lubricant for roof seals similar to Dupont Krytox. You cannot mix Vaseline petroleum based grease and Krytox lubricants, but you will learn a lot from experts posting here if you use the search facility.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts