Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

Really excited to meet you. I'm thinking of getting a '12 EOS with 20k for 16k at carmax.

My question is whether or not to get the Bumper to Bumper coverage for $2500 that will cover everything for 5 years.

I love the hardtop roof and watching it retract and come up is one of the coolest things but does it break a lot?

I'm really struggling to figure out whether or not I need to get the warranty.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Check the details of the warranty thoroughly. Search this forum and you’ll find people who have struggled with various warranty claims through the years. The roof is what you’ll want the warranty for - it’s not like it breaks a lot, but when it does, you don’t want to be left in the lurch - but some people had issues with this, I seem to remember.

If the warranty really does cover everything, it comes down to a simple equation: do you think you’ll spend $2500 on repairs in the next five years? That’s a lot to go wrong, but if you don’t want to get your hands dirty and fix things yourself, you might consider it worth paying for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I bought my 2013 Eos last August from a private seller. One of the big appeals to me besides the car itself was that it had an extended warranty until Aug. 31, 2020 which would be transferred over to me. I bought the car, did the warranty transfer and a couple of months after I bought it, one of the rear wheel bearings needed replacement. This was covered under my warranty and otherwise would have probably cost around $800.00 or so to fix, so I was definitely glad to have it. I've had a couple of other weird small things happen that were also covered. It's impossible to say whether or not you would spend $2500 in repairs over five years but as you know, sometimes just one or two repairs can be really pricey. I guess the question comes down to what the peace of mind is worth to you, just like any sort of insurance. Humans beings really vary in terms of their degree of personal risk aversion. I'm pretty risk averse so I like having a warranty. Once it's gone it's gone but for now I like the peace of mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both very much for your advice. My wife wants me to get it but I'm so cheap!

I'm leaning towards getting the warranty but with a deductible just in case something really bad happens.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You're welcome. They're great cars in a lot of ways but they do get weird glitchy electrical issues pop up from time to time which are typically covered under warranty.

·
Registered
707 Posts
<irony on>And still it only costs 2500. Those insurance companies must be selling them at a loss !<irony off>
It is your call if you want to take the risk. Banks and insurances are just a bunch of th***es.
There are about hundred of thousands EOSes sold worldwide. Not all of them went broken on their roof of whatever. Just make pretty sure that everything works in good order (as stated in other posts) and you shouln’d have a problem. But that is not a guarantee!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've had a front spring break, wheel bearing fail, front suspension joints needing replacement, various leaks and to top it off, roof failure, all in under a year of me owning it. Wish Mine had come with a warranty, though probably would have never failed if I had, well not until the day after it had run out. lol
Nice car though, so don't let me put you off buying one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yay I bought it yesterday!! Didn't get the warranty though. I think I'm just going to get really into the maintenance of the vehicle!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts