Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 EOS Komfort. Until recently I never had a front license plate but recently was given a warning for not having it. There is no place to attach a plate or frame. So, in desperation to avoid a ticket, I super glued the plate to the front bumper. This worked successfully for a couple of months until 1 day I noticed that the license plate was gone. Not only was the plate gone but several spots of paint were also missing where the glue had been. I have been researching methods to attach the plate. Magnetic attachment seemed the most secure and without any damage but I cannot find anything on or near the bumper that is metal that would provide a secure attachment magnetically. I am not about to drill holes in the bumper. I have also seen the suggestion of using zip ties to attach to the grill. My grill seems to be plastic and also is only 5 " high and the license plate is 6" high.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a "fix" for this issue?

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
805 Posts
Mine is mounted to the lower grill. It is notched at the top so it sits under the large grill, bottom of the plate is secured with zip ties. I also tried a mounting plate that mounts to the front tow hook location, but I did not care for the look of that solution.

OEM location is a plastic license plate holder that screws into the front chrome grill.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Volkswagen Eos, Komfort 2.0L
192 Posts
I would think that if you want to be in compliance with your state laws, why not go to you local VW place. They have the OEM holder and can pop it in the correct location and it would be secured. Hopefully they can paint match the areas you need corrected so no rust will form.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Try reading this as a starter:Front license plate installation

The velcro "solution" seems a little risky.
Not risky at all.

Had them on all my vehicles for many years and never had one lost or stolen.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Agree, but there are different quality versions of 'Velcro'. The black cloth backed product sold cheap on Ebay isn't that good but there are Dual Lock round pads and tapes made by 3M for this type of commercial and automotive job. The key ingredient is the quality of the adhesive backing. I've used them to attach a perspex extension to a motorcycle windshield and it doesn't come off at motorcycle speeds!

I haven't tried it on number plates, but the double sided adhesive pads with a green removable film sold for attaching rearview mirrors to windshield glass would be more permanent if you don't want to swap plates.

·
Administrator
2,573 Posts
To remove the plate, use a high strength cotton thread or a piece of nylon fishing line holding the ends on each side of the number plate and pull the thread/line from side to side with gentle downwards pull at each end to "saw" through the velcro to plate contact pads.

Removing any adhesive left on the vehicle paint work with a solvent has to be done carefully to avoid damaging the paint - heating any residual pad on the paintwork with a hot air gun might facilitate lifting left-behind adhesive however due care must be taken to avoid damaging the paint finish. Be wary of using solvents as these may permanently damage the finish whilst a warm detergent/water rinse might soften any residual adhesive to facilitate removal.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think the key element is the same with so many jobs.
Preparation.
If you don't prepare then prepare to fail.
Wipe both areas clean then use alcohol wipes to remove any dust/grease/polish first.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
When I posted my suggestions I didn't know whether plates in some countries have to be easily removed or replaced? In U.K they are pretty much a permanent fixture on the car until an owner wants to get and fit a personal plate number or remove them when they sell the car. We have perps here that steal plates to avoid being tagged by road charging cameras, parking fines or do robberies! I wouldn't recommend having them easily removable.

I've used the 'Cheese Wire' cut method on double sided auto body pads. In fact, I have a length of flat section stainless steel wire that came with a windshield cut out and replace kit. As Silvershadow says, you need to be careful choosing solvents to remove the old glue to prepare surfaces. One product I use a lot and find safe on most surfaces is Citronella, an oil based solvent that can be bought in a small quantity as Avery Labelclene. Warming with a hair dryer helps but can make the residue more sticky.

The true test of a plate fixing method is one trip through an automatic car wash!

·
Registered
210 Posts
When I posted my suggestions I didn't know whether plates in some countries have to be easily removed or replaced? In U.K they are pretty much a permanent fixture on the car until an owner wants to get and fit a personal plate number or remove them when they sell the car. We have perps here that steal plates to avoid being tagged by road charging cameras, parking fines or do robberies! I wouldn't recommend having them easily removable.

I've used the 'Cheese Wire' cut method on double sided auto body pads. In fact, I have a length of flat section stainless steel wire that came with a windshield cut out and replace kit. As Silvershadow says, you need to be careful choosing solvents to remove the old glue to prepare surfaces. One product I use a lot and find safe on most surfaces is Citronella, an oil based solvent that can be bought in a small quantity as Avery Labelclene. Warming with a hair dryer helps but can make the residue more sticky.

The true test of a plate fixing method is one trip through an automatic car wash!
Pulling numberplates off cars so you can go through speeding cameras, avoid parking fines and do robberies is a bit far-fetched my friend. It doesn't happen.
In all these instances, the"perps" as you call them would have to have the exact same make, model, and colour car!

It would be far easier for them to just look online for a car for sale that's the same as theirs and have a numberplate made up on eBay to match. (Or just steal the whole car).
Not sure if you have looked in your boot lately, but there isn't much room for a haul of stolen goods from a robbery.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Not sure if you have looked in your boot lately, but there isn't much room for a haul of stolen goods from a robbery.
Have you wondered why expensive V.W EOS drivers manuals come up on Ebay? Not all are from scrapped cars, some are from unlocked glove boxes!

Do you know the Christmas season 'Presents in the trunk' car park theft scam? Sit near a car with a key fob jammer, wait for the car owner to think they locked their car with the remote (when it wasn't), then open the trunk and steal their Christmas presents.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Pulling numberplates off cars so you can go through speeding cameras, avoid parking fines and do robberies is a bit far-fetched my friend. It doesn't happen.
Number plate theft is a significant issue here in Oz, for avoidance of road toll charges, theft of petrol from self serve service stations, avoidance of vehicle registration charges, stupid games of deliberately going past speed cameras at insane speeds etc. It's also poular amongst middle eastern crime gangs for serious crimes such as drive by shootings and targetted assasinations.
For many years, various Police campaigns have been effected to encourage fitment of one way screws to prevent theft of plates:-

Reactions: silvershadow

·
Registered
210 Posts
Have you wondered why expensive V.W EOS drivers manuals come up on Ebay? Not all are from scrapped cars, some are from unlocked glove boxes!

Do you know the Christmas season 'Presents in the trunk' car park theft scam? Sit near a car with a key fob jammer, wait for the car owner to think they locked their car with the remote (when it wasn't), then open the trunk and steal their Christmas presents.
What's that got to do with numberplates?

·
Administrator
2,573 Posts
What's that got to do with numberplates?
This is often associated with the theft of number plates for use by criminals on cars to be used for criminal purposes or by "joy riders" wanting to deliberately break road rules [especially speeding] without being able to be traced from speed camera surveillance.

Here in NSW, the police highway patrol vehicles are mostly unmarked for obvious reasons and those that are marked have signage on the sides and rear only with nothing showing on the front of the vehicle to allow them to remain "incognito" when following a "car of interest" whilst waiting for an opportunity for a "pull over" once the road rules are broken.

Highway patrol cars are no longer one make and model only and cover a range of unmarked vehicles to reduce the incidence of offenders recognising a possible police vehicle and avoiding a "pull over" . I see many police vehicles of this type on my regular trips to and from our country home to our city home and one "give-away" is often heavy window tinting to obscure the driver from quick recognition.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is often associated with the theft of number plates for use by criminals on cars to be used for criminal purposes or by "joy riders" wanting to deliberately break road rules [especially speeding] without being able to be traced from speed camera surveillance.

Here in NSW, the police highway patrol vehicles are mostly unmarked for obvious reasons and those that are marked have signage on the sides and rear only with nothing showing on the front of the vehicle to allow them to remain "incognito" when following a "car of interest" whilst waiting for an opportunity for a "pull over" once the road rules are broken.

Highway patrol cars are no longer one make and model only and cover a range of unmarked vehicles to reduce the incidence of offenders recognising a possible police vehicle and avoiding a "pull over" . I see many police vehicles of this type on my regular trips to and from our country home to our city home and one "give-away" is often heavy window tinting to obscure the driver from quick recognition.
Yes, I understand all that. We have unmarked cars here in the UK too, some of which are older makes/models so they blend in.
I was responding to Voxmagna's post though, not yours.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
805 Posts
In all these instances, the"perps" as you call them would have to have the exact same make, model, and colour car!

It would be far easier for them to just look online for a car for sale that's the same as theirs and have a numberplate made up on eBay to match. (Or just steal the whole car).
Not far fetched at all. Thieves here in the US will steal a plate from a car and use it on another vehicle they stole. Stolen cars are reported with their plate number, so a police officer may be looking for a silver 90's Honda Accord with plate JDK015, but if they come up behind a silver 90's Honda Accord, plate ISL102, they won't pull it over. They don't bother checking to see if the plate was issued to a Honda or a Mercedes, they are just looking for the stolen plate number.

This is so common that its happened several times to friends I know.

·
Registered
210 Posts
"They don't bother checking to see if the plate was issued to a Honda or a Mercedes"
(Crap police 'work' then, isn't it?)

They do in the UK. Automatic Number Plate Recognition or ANPR is in 85% of police vehicles in the UK alongside multiple CCTV cameras on street corners.
They only have to drive near you and it will flag up.

·
Registered
210 Posts
So someone steals your number plates.
They go through several speed cameras and do all sorts of bad bad things.
It will all be on camera.
They will have to have the same make/model/year/colour of car as yours, or it won't match.
Even things like the wheels/trim/seats etc will have to match.
You are talking millions to one that they can ever pin this on you, and that's without you having an alibi as to where you and your car were at the time of the crime.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
805 Posts
"They don't bother checking to see if the plate was issued to a Honda or a Mercedes"
(Crap police 'work' then, isn't it?)

They do in the UK. Automatic Number Plate Recognition or ANPR is in 85% of police vehicles in the UK alongside multiple CCTV cameras on street corners.
They only have to drive near you and it will flag up.
Not every police dept has that technology. Crap is a possible choice, I would use "lazy" though.

Many of the reports I have heard about are plates stolen from specific cars, say a silver 90's accord, said stolen plates end up on a stolen silver 90's accord. This theft has happened to several people I know and has been reported on many of the forums/facebook groups I follow. Other instances include just 90's accord, color irrelevant being stolen and used on a 90's accord, color irrelevant. Still others are plates from any make/model/color being used on stolen cars of different make/model/color.

Yes the ANPR would flag vehicles falling into the latter category, which seems to have been more popular before ANPR's were in existence. But if you are planning on stealing a specific made/model/color of vehicle, it isn't too difficult to find another and steal the plates off of it. The more common scenario is for the thieves to swap the plates from the stolen car onto another identical car, that way the unsuspecting owner drives away with the stolen plates, if they get pulled over, they are in for a wonderful experience (happened to my sister, she drove around for a month before she got pulled over at gun point)

·
Registered
210 Posts
"The more common scenario is for the thieves to swap the plates from the stolen car onto another identical car, that way the unsuspecting owner drives away with the stolen plates"

Your car is at the top of the VW EOS banner (on the right) on every page, as is mine (on the left).
Have you EVER seen another car just like yours or mine in every detail?
No.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts