Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to have a look in the boot today and found that the foam around the hydraulic pump is wet. I am keen to just remove the foam as per all of the excellent advice on the forum.

This is probably a very stupid question, but how do you remove the foam from underneath the pump? Is it just glued on and needs brute force or is it secured in somewhere? I was loathe to resort to brute force as that just releases more water from the foam every time I squeeze it!

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
It's a foam box in two halves. Just pull the damn thing off and launch it into orbit at light speed so it can never come back.

You then have to do some work, otherwise you could still lose your expensive roof pump although there's no guarantee because water could have already entered and started to cause internal damage (to the motor and solenoids). You can just about rotate the pump by 90 leaving all the black snap-in hydraulics connected to inspect the bottom of the pump and around, using a dental mirror helps. It will probably look very horrible with corrosion on the plating. The extent of the 'horrible look' and how far it has got in height determines whether you clean it superficially and close your eyes, or go further after you find out how much a pump will cost if yours fails. You need to dry it thoroughly with a hair dryer first and protect the bad plating with a heavy zinc primer like Galvofroid, followed by an ali silver rattle can top coat. If water damage underneath looks extensive, I'd think about removing the pump to get inside the motor for inspection and cleaning. Fortunately I caught mine early some years ago and just saw the start of discoloration on the casing.

You then have to find out how water is getting into the trunk and do something about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Voxmagna for the quick reply and for reassuring me that it is just a question of brute force to remove the foam.

I have recently applied Krytox to all seals so any leak is rather disappointing. Are there any notorious weak points on the rear seals (other than all of them!) that I should be prioritising?

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
There are several possibilities with no one size fits all solution. Search and read forum posts, there is plenty here. Learn how to do tests for leaks (into the trunk) with a hose and an assistant. Krytox is essential for regular roof seal maintenance but it's not magic goo to fix all leaks. You have to find them first. My aggressive test is a bucket of water dumped in the center of the roof with the car parked on level ground and newspaper laid inside around critical areas. I don't put up with leaks anywhere, but if I see one, I fix it pronto because MY07 is outside 24/7.

Check your 'fish tanks' after testing or heavy rain, they should be dry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I decided to have a look in the boot today and found that the foam around the hydraulic pump is wet. I am keen to just remove the foam as per all of the excellent advice on the forum.

This is probably a very stupid question, but how do you remove the foam from underneath the pump? Is it just glued on and needs brute force or is it secured in somewhere? I was loathe to resort to brute force as that just releases more water from the foam every time I squeeze it!
This exact thing just happened to me. Remove the foam rubber and throw it out. Dry out the motor and keep your fingers crossed. Replace the foam rubber with styrofoam and drill a couple of holes in your trunk floor around the hydraulic motor. My mechanic found a used motor and replaced the old one. It is labor intensive with all of the hydraulic lines, etc. I just picked it up earlier this week and everything is back to normal. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
drill a couple of holes in your trunk floor around the hydraulic motor.
You don't need to, there's already a hole with a rubber bung in it just behind the pump. You will find everything already written up here. I used styrofoam first time but replaced it later with black neoprene closed cell foam rubber for a professional job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts