Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This forum is a lifesaver has already helped me more than once including when I installed a backup camera following instructions on the forum. Hoping the community can help out once again.

I've searched the forum and found a few posts about diagnosing leaks and treating the existing seals but haven't seen any posts about fully replacing the rubber seal along the front of the roof.

My 2010 EOS leaks quite a bit at the A pillars on both sides. I've already treated the rubber with Krytox and checked both of the drain tubes/funnels and they are intact. The rubber seal along the top of the windshield is very dried out and cracked all along the front of the car. It is deformed and it bulges out of the seamwhen the sunroof is closed I'm fairly certain this is the main source of my leaks and even if it's not the only issue its clearly in need of replacement. well beyond krytox, heat and a massage.

I've already bought the new seal and it looks like the right one. Seems to be authentic OEM VW part. I found it online at Volkswagen Kearny Mesa in San Diego California for $264 with shipping part # 1Q0-871-409-M-5AP

I'm wondering if anyone has replaced this and has any advice or can point me to any resources. it seems pretty self-explanatory, but doesn't it always seem that way before you dig in?

It appears to be held in place by a metal channel along the top of the windshield and an adhesive strip at the very front edge. I'll clean this surface well before trying to re-adhere the new seal of course, but any help or tips are greatly appreciated and If there is already a post about this on the forum, I'm sorry I didn't find it

Thank You!

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
See what the shop manual says first. If it says nothing then you have to rely on your own thoughts unless somebody here has replaced one. The only seal that's relatively straight forward AFIK is the large trunk lid and door seals. The top side member seals are held in a channel because I've had mine out, but I was glad I read the manual first because access to the seal required pre-and post shut gap measurements and a V.W service tool.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi,

A few pics of the part you are looking to replace might help . I posted a similar question a couple of weeks back and was advised to use the same part number for a 2007 euro car .

I have removed the a pillar part of the seal as part of my investigation and it just pops out. From what I could find out the older seal uses a separate adhesive to hold it in place , where as the part number you have has a 'double sided ' tape already applied . The old seal is destroyed when removed , see attached pic for ref / make sure we are talking about the same part .

As to Vox's comment , the manual will pay for its self many times over and is an absolute most for any roof work

Regards

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts