Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- I'm new :) i have a 2008 Eos turbo, and it got to acting up. Long story short, I need the pressure valve on top of the HPFP replaced. From what I understand, I can't purchase this separately from the pump, but the problem is very obvious. You can see the fuel leaking out of the cracked valve. Anyone on here know where I might find one? I'm in Oklahoma if that matters... Thank you

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
I suspect it's deliberately a non-replacable part of the fuel pump because it would be virtually impossible for anybody but a fluid testing engineer to ensure it and the pump are working at the correct pressure. 1000psi fuel pressure isn't something I'd take chances with. If you were able to do something, do you have the equipment to test the pump afterwards? These valves are usually quite small and just a fraction of a turn on the factory settting could make a big change in output pressure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, I've never posted anything in a forum before, I think you misunderstood what I was looking for. The plastic around the actual seated needle (I guess technically that's the valve) is cracked and leaking fuel causing my car to surge and lose power. I don't need the entire pump. I'm reasonably certain that if I take this broken part off and replace it with one off the same kind of pump, it would work. I removed the one in my car and had no trouble at all, just unplugged it and used a wrench and off it came, and I'm a girl. I suspect they wouldn't have made it easy or even possible to remove it if it was that easy to damage or change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That being said, I went ahead and ordered a complete HPFP. You're right.... If a things worth doing, it's worth doing right.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Irritatingly, the part number on that broken plastic part is the part number for the whole HPFP unit. Are you sure it’s leaking from the broken plastic and not the valve in the centre? A brief googling unearthed a couple of people suggesting it can be cleaned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am certain it WAS leaking out of the crack-until we put epoxy on it. Because the crack went all the way across, after the epoxy it actually is leaking out of the valve opening now. I ordered a new pump. In case anyone needs the info, my car started surging and had less power, and became difficult to start. My husband has an obd code reader so I hooked it up and it threw 2 codes. One was related to the fuel running lean and the other was pressure related. When he opened the hood it was very obvious what the problem was and since the valve was so easy to remove we thought we'd be able to just replace that.
I was trying to get away with not spending a lot of money lol. Question: is this pump the OEM for the 08 Eos?

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
A crack in such a high pressure component carrying fuel is a little bit worrying. Does it look as though the part just failed or could somebody have been messing about with it? Even more of a reason to replace complete with a genuine part? I'm wondering if the valve pressure setting became to high and wouldn't be noticed, until it burst? I think workshops have high pressure gauges to attach to the fuel rail for HP pump and valve checks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm told it's a common occurrence and usually due to the motor cover damaging the plastic cover and some times even the plug

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That's an OEM part number on the pump, so I would say it's the original part.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Looking at the way it's made from the photo, there appears to be a connector and loom hanging off a small section of ABS moulding. Engine movement and vibration will soon cause mechanical failure. If I was replacing one, I would see if I could add some additional mechanical support to the sticky out connector?

I'm surprised that what looks like an ABS moulding for the connector is holding back 1000psi? if there was that kind of pressure behind a crack, epoxy would do nothing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts