Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need two 6-V units, one for each battery, or can I install one 12-V unit and attach it to both batteries in series (one clamp on one battery negative and other clamp on 2nd battery positive)? Can it be installed permanently on the batteries and a plug run outside the trunk or to the interior where I can plug it in to the AC outlet in my garage? I don't want to leave the trunk open ass the light will drain the battery. What is the best maintainer to buy?

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
You want a 12Volt maintainer. I don't have your V6, but apparently there are terminal connections inside the engine bay. MY07 TDi has black ABS filler panels above the fog lights in the front bumper. I fitted a Euro style weatherproof cigar socket from a marine shop with flip cover in the near side panel. Between the new external socket and the battery terminal connection you should fit a 2 Amp (?) inline protection fuse and a small car bulb 10-20 watts in series in case of accidental shorts.

If you don't have the V6 terminal block you can find permanent +12V in the engine bay fuse box. These maintainers don't have very long connection wires, usually just a pair of croc clips on short wires, you should be looking at maintainers with about 2 Amps maximum output. Keep the maintainer dry plugged in indoors or in your garage and extend the 12V wires with 2 core 10 amp mains flex. I have about 20M of flex on mine.

The advantage of the Euro size cigar socket is if you forget and drive off, the charger cable just pulls out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You want a 12Volt maintainer. I don't have your V6, but apparently there are terminal connections inside the engine bay. MY07 TDi has black ABS filler panels above the fog lights in the front bumper. I fitted a Euro style weatherproof cigar socket from a marine shop with flip cover in the near side panel. Between the new external socket and the battery terminal connection you should fit a 2 Amp (?) inline protection fuse and a small car bulb 10-20 watts in series in case
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I don't know why VW installed two 6V batteries and I wonder what advantage they were thinking of, as it seems to be more complicated than a single 12V battery.

·
Super Moderator
2,305 Posts
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I don't know why VW installed two 6V batteries and I wonder what advantage they were thinking of, as it seems to be more complicated than a single 12V battery.
Not enough room in the V6 engine bay for a battery and boot/trunk space limited so 2 x 6V batteries in series take up the least amount of useable space in the boot/trunk.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
I'm sure V.W must have already thought about it, but given the high cost for these unusual 6V V6 batteries, has anybody with the V6 found an alternative location to fit a standard 80Ah 12V battery? Now we are seeing some Li-ions used in cars, a large area thinner and lighter Li-ion battery mounted behind the rear seat bulkhead would do nicely and reduce some of the V6 rear end 'squat' when I see them? Also there's the space between the rear seats?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a CTEK 12 volt charger connected to my two 6v batteries. Connect the positive to the positive terminal of the battery (left side) and connect the negative of the charger to the negative post of the right side battery, basically a series wiring configuration. CTEK offers a remote wiring kit, which allows you to directly wire to your batteries and then you can easily plug the charger into the unit. Search under the Interior/ICE section, I did a full review with pictures.

Disconnect your trunk light, then you can leave the trunk open for your power cord. Thats what I do with mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts