Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 EOS Executive. I have a loud knocking noise coming from the area of the rear passenger side roof mechanisms. (i'm not real good at localizing noises) It is very noticeable at low speeds around the neighborhood. i do not hear any knock with the roof retracted. Yes, i know, wind noise and such but i believe that if this was coming from a body or door panel, i would even hear it at low speed. Are there any known issues of things coming loose, or is there an adjustment in panel positions i could try?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I don't know of any specific issues, but if it's an issue with the roof mechanism itself, it's best left to someone with experience in dealing with the Eos roof. Can you get a friendly passenger to sit in the back and identify where the sound is coming from? They might be able to help you identify if it's something simple like a loose flap.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Feel along each rear handbrake cable and see if there is part with the outer pvc cover worn and the metal inner banging on the 'A' stiffener fixed to the body.

It's a simple but tricky fault to find because it depends on how much the car is loaded at the rear and the suspension drop. Roof down changes the rear suspension weight load. You should also check and eliminate a broken rear spring or bad shock absorber before launching into the roof. :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is an actual posting online that mentioned the same noise. It's a resting point in the mechanism that's bumping against the body. I tried to find the link as I did a ton of research on this top before buying my 09 EOS LUX and the vast majority of issues seems to be in colder climates. I'm in So Cal. where it's hot, so everything expands all the time. Check online and Google EOS Top Noise, you'll find it. There's a shim that can be made out of hard rubber that solves the issue. Again, as somebody else posted DO NOT MAKE ANY ADJUSTMENTS to the mechanism yourself. Its extremely sensitive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts