What would you decide to do??

• Or take up bicycle riding-

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one 2007 EOS that now has a salvaged title because the panoramic roof no longer closes, & it’s got >150k miles. (I forgot my steel cup on the roof when I tried to put the top down and now the sunroof doesn’t close-the convertible top does go up and down fine, just seems to get stuck when it tried to finish with closing the sunroof) thankfully I love in AZ so not much rain, but still a major issue. I owned it for only a couple months before this happened. But I fell in love with it. So I bought me another one, same year, color etc. this one I have had for less than a month, and the timing belt broke, it now has 0% compression, even though I was idling at the time. So the recommendation is to replace the entire longblock engine—$10k. I still love this car-so in a perfect world I would merge them and end up with one fully functional EOS—without breaking the bank-He’ll who am I kidding- I have to borrow every penny from my parent’s& I’m almost 50 yrs old-So how crazy am I??

·
Super Moderator
2,344 Posts
Assuming the roof on the "spare parts" car is fully functional and "leak-free", I would seriously consider a engine & transmission transplant from your original car whilst doing a major service on the engine and transmission whilst they are out of the car providing easy access to all components. Depending on their relative appearance, you may also consider swapping of replacement interior items and fittings to give the best possible appearance.

Items removed or surplus to requirements may be sold through Ebay or similar to recoup part or all of your costs in rebuilding the composite vehicle. Body panels and doors should bring a good price if in good cosmetic condition as would other mechanical components removed or not needed to replace items in inferior condition. Trim and other items also come into this category.

It is possible you could repay a loan from your parents to fund the work to bring your car to best-possible standard and have money left over if the project is properly managed.

Reactions: ChristalRenee

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
When you love something so much, making decisions can cloud your judgement. If you start a project like this you are either paying somebody to do it or have the tools, skills, time and sustained enthusiasm to do it yourself. There's always a risk of bad health or hitting other problems during the project which cost more than your budget. By this time you have passed the point of no return looking at losses, more time spent or abandonment. I did a used engine swap once without tearing it down, then found it had a serious problem. Look at the market value of both cars as 'non-runners' or for spares and what value would one working 2007 EOS have if you made it good? Then search prices for a lower mileage higher spec. newer EOS and check the price. All the time spent on doing work and every year after that means a reducing market value until it becomes classic and desireable.

Not much of this rational applies to an enthusiast or somebody with a classic car and many pile on mods and farkles without ever seeing a financial benefit, but that's their choice to make them happy. If you like clean fresh air in good weather, try riding a motorcycle?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Do you know why the sunroof no longer closes? It could be something that’s not terribly expensive to fix. With a donor engine for the second car from a Golf or Audi A3 you could get both cars running, sell whichever one you’re less confident in, and end up in profit. Or maybe your parents deserve a nice car for being so understanding and helping you out. ;)

Maybe it’s not possible for whatever reasons, I don’t know. (Not being from the US I don’t know what “salvaged title” means, for starters)

·
Super Moderator
2,344 Posts
Do you know why the sunroof no longer closes? It could be something that’s not terribly expensive to fix. With a donor engine for the second car from a Golf or Audi A3 you could get both cars running, sell whichever one you’re less confident in, and end up in profit. Or maybe your parents deserve a nice car for being so understanding and helping you out. ;)

Maybe it’s not possible for whatever reasons, I don’t know. (Not being from the US I don’t know what “salvaged title” means, for starters)
I suspect a "salvaged title" is a US form of consumer protection to inform prospective buyers that the car has been "written off" by an insurer as uneconomic to repair at some stage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Clearing a salvage title in Pennsylvania, U.S. (Other states will be similar)

Step 1
Fully restore the salvaged vehicle to running condition. Save all receipts for parts and repairs, and carefully document the process as it is completed with photographs and records.
Step 2
Apply for the title of the salvaged vehicle, if you have not already transferred the salvage title into your name. Have the vehicle undergo a safety inspection from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. This will certify that the vehicle is completely roadworthy.

Step 3
Submit Pennsylvania state form MV426B, the "Application for Reconstructed, Specially Constructed, Collectible, Modified, Flood, Recovered Theft Vehicles and Street Rods" along with all documentation of repairs, the bill of sale for the vehicle and passed safety inspection information along with any processing fees.
Receive the new title for the vehicle. Depending on why the title was originally declared salvage, you will be issued either a reconstructed vehicle title or a title with branding on it that designates the vehicle was once damaged but is now considered roadworthy by the state and can be registered and driven. In some cases, when the vehicle was a recovered theft vehicle that was not significantly damaged, the state may issue a clear title.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Unless you've done this type of work many times before, I suspect you'll be chasing your tail with many small issues for weeks after, and you'll never fully know if the car is good or not. It might be good for a day or two, or a week...then something is loose or a pipe isn't fitted the right way, etc etc....

And I suspect if you HAVE done this type of work before, you'll know its very marginal and often only profitable if you ignore the time factor. Here in the UK a car will be marked as Cat C/D/S/N for accidents and write offs, although this type of issue might not put that marker on (depends on the circumstances, insurers don't normally insure mechanical issues here). And cars with the marker need a -30 to 50% adjustment on their sale price, realistically.

There's a ton of "hopefuls" buying and trying to flip mechanically and accident damaged cars. VWs, for some reason, attract people more. None of these cars make financial sense once the numbers are added up properly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Step one is to have both cars completely analyzed by a VW dealer who has an Eos certified mechanic on staff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello
I was a happy 2008 EOS owner and still have a new in the bag
Rear seat fold up black mess wind deflector an rear seat hideaway. It measures 26” x 26” in the heavy duty black vinyl zippered bag.

I’m located in Colorado and would be interested if you need this non-standard option from Volkswagon. I’m open to an Price offer.
I can send pictures.

Best
MrBill
[email protected]

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hello
I was a happy 2008 EOS owner and still have a new in the bag
Rear seat fold up black mess wind deflector an rear seat hideaway. It measures 26” x 26” in the heavy duty black vinyl zippered bag.

I’m located in Colorado and would be interested if you need this non-standard option from Volkswagon. I’m open to an Price offer.
I can send pictures.

Best
MrBill
[email protected]
I might be interested. My screen was standard equipment, but is getting faded and has a small hole.I'm in Grand Junction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I might be interested. My screen was standard equipment, but is getting faded and has a small hole.I'm in Grand Junction.
Hello
Thank you for your interest in the EOS rear seat black mess folding screen. I’m happy to send pictures.
Let me know how to proceed.
Best,
Oboebill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello EOS Owners:

SPECIAL OFFER $150 off my soon to be listed on the eBay
$300 buy-now price!!!

I’ll sell the EOS rear seat black mess folding screen for $150 + s&h from 80110.

First to commit to PayPal buys this gently used EOS rear seat black mess folding screen and black vinyl case.

thank you
MrBill
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
2,344 Posts
These posts should be in items for sale?
Hi Vox,

I know but haven't found a way to transfer the post in its entirety to an appropriate category - I can do it by copying and posting under my name but this loses the identity of the OP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts