Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, this is my first time actually creating a thread, so first of all, nice to meet ya.

I'm actually going trough quite a nightmare, since my 57k miles 2012 Volkswagen Eos has a failing DSG transmission.

What makes my story different is that, unlike you fellas who live in first-world countries like the US, UK or Canada where you have a wide variety of technicians, experts in the brand and top dealerships, I happen to live in a hellhole in Central America where I'm certain to be the owner of one of the two active Eos'. This means obviously the model isn't sold officialy and the only way to purchase one is getting a salvaged unit from the US and repairing it in a local shop. So, no warranties, no nothing, I'm on my own.

This leaves me with only a couple of guys countrywide who specialize in Volkswagen, Audis and so on, since those are considered really luxury brands.

Long story short, I was late in replacing my transmission fluid, did it at 56.5 k miles, used Vaico brand and new filter. Old oil came as black as a cup of coffee. I felt the car super smooth for around 3 weeks when, one day, all of a sudden, it wouldn't shift into reverse after a long and aggressive drive to another town. I panicked a bit, but took the car to this shop the next day.

His diagnose was clear: there was needed a brand new cluth pack, which I ordered from the US, and had to wait a very decent time (around 12 days) Cluth pack purchased.. He replaced the clutchs, the car felt like a dream, like new... for around 24 hours. After just 3 days of driving I got the error again, this time, he scanned it with his software and voilá... he didn't doubt a
second to point that a brand new Mechatronic unit was needed.

He even replaced a couple of solenoids, we replaced the DSG oil a second time after just 4 weeks, and again, it came as black as a cup of chocolate. As you might imagine, I can barely find a used Mechatronic unit in this country, so I'm thinking of ordering a used one off ebay. Mechanic says my mech unit number is:
02e 927 770 AL

So I have a couple of questions for you fine gentlemen:

1. Do you think after replacing the clutch pack and after replacing the mechatronics I will be good? what else could go wrong after that?
2. Will this piece off-ebay. ORIGINAL control unit gearbox VW GOLF VI (5K1) 2010 | eBay work for me? Is it a safe shot to order it? I've read many forums where they said the unit wasn't compatible with their car, so I have that fear.

3. Do you think a new transmission is a better option in this case?

Thanks for your attention!

Computer Personal computer Output device Font Computer monitor accessory
Liquid Dishware Serveware Sky Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I don't have DSG but many of our USA and NA members do. From reading posts I haven't come across many who have dug deep to do their own DSG repairs, although issues over warranty claims and religiously changing oil and filter crop up often. The fact these units have been replaced under warranty and lack of regular servicing cited as a reason for failure, would leave me suspicious that there may have been a design issue which V.W fix under warranty as and when they went wrong. That could mean used older units may not have had any design changes, compared to a new (expensive) part replacement?

IMHO you always take a compatibility risk trying to use parts from other VAG vehicles and expect them to work in the EOS system. This applies particularly to electronic control modules, even though they may have the same part number on a label. There is some diagnostics adaptation work to be done AFIK when installing Mechatronics units? You should make sure you have had your car scanned and all DSG related module information and any adaptation saved to better identify what you have, in case you need it.

In moments where I've taken a risk on a module, I've chosen the Golf/Passat series of a similar year because more were sold. But I've never paid a lot or waited weeks for an import due to the risk of it not working. If as you say you don't have the same resource for used parts, your options are limited. Presumably you can buy new dealer parts, but they will be very expensive?

I honestly don't think you will get replies from anybody who has actually fitted alternative parts themselves and my reply probably isn't that much help. There are lots of V.W part variants and the only thing you could do is search the EOS parts catalogue with your VIN or ask a dealer, get the latest genuine V.W EOS part number and search for it. I have suspected for a while that V.W (electronic) parts on a per vehicle model basis have been shrinking and replaced by more universal versions with a new part number. Finding that same compatible part being sold as used will be hard because it won't have been available for long and then only used as exchanges for repairs. If you can find a Chinese aftermarket part it may be worth a try if the cost/risk is low.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi folks, this is my first time actually creating a thread, so first of all, nice to meet ya.

I'm actually going trough quite a nightmare, since my 57k miles 2012 Volkswagen Eos has a failing DSG transmission.

What makes my story different is that, unlike you fellas who live in first-world countries like the US, UK or Canada where you have a wide variety of technicians, experts in the brand and top dealerships, I happen to live in a hellhole in Central America where I'm certain to be the owner of one of the two active Eos'. This means obviously the model isn't sold officialy and the only way to purchase one is getting a salvaged unit from the US and repairing it in a local shop. So, no warranties, no nothing, I'm on my own.

This leaves me with only a couple of guys countrywide who specialize in Volkswagen, Audis and so on, since those are considered really luxury brands.

Long story short, I was late in replacing my transmission fluid, did it at 56.5 k miles, used Vaico brand and new filter. Old oil came as black as a cup of coffee. I felt the car super smooth for around 3 weeks when, one day, all of a sudden, it wouldn't shift into reverse after a long and aggressive drive to another town. I panicked a bit, but took the car to this shop the next day.

His diagnose was clear: there was needed a brand new cluth pack, which I ordered from the US, and had to wait a very decent time (around 12 days) Cluth pack purchased.. He replaced the clutchs, the car felt like a dream, like new... for around 24 hours. After just 3 days of driving I got the error again, this time, he scanned it with his software and voilá... he didn't doubt a
second to point that a brand new Mechatronic unit was needed.

He even replaced a couple of solenoids, we replaced the DSG oil a second time after just 4 weeks, and again, it came as black as a cup of chocolate. As you might imagine, I can barely find a used Mechatronic unit in this country, so I'm thinking of ordering a used one off ebay. Mechanic says my mech unit number is:
02e 927 770 AL

So I have a couple of questions for you fine gentlemen:

1. Do you think after replacing the clutch pack and after replacing the mechatronics I will be good? what else could go wrong after that?
2. Will this piece off-ebay. ORIGINAL control unit gearbox VW GOLF VI (5K1) 2010 | eBay work for me? Is it a safe shot to order it? I've read many forums where they said the unit wasn't compatible with their car, so I have that fear.

3. Do you think a new transmission is a better option in this case?

Thanks for your attention!

View attachment 24486 View attachment 24487
The DQ250 DSG has been around since 2003, millions have been produced and in relative terms is a reliable unit. It is unusual to have issues at such low mileage. If your DSG has never been serviced previously, this may be the root cause, the service shedule calls for servicing every 4 years / 60,000 KM (approx 40,000 miles). The reason I mention this is the very unusual fact that the oil came out black both when the changed initially and again the second time, this is very abnormal. The reason for this needs to be investigated. Was the factory procedure followed when changing the oil? Is it possible contaminated oil remained in the transmission?
Does the shop have experience with DSG? It is strange that they would change the clutches and not be aware that there is an issue with the Mechatronic unit.
The same physical mechatronic unit is used across the VW range for this transmission HOWEVER, different software is loaded for different vehicles, the Eos definitely uses different software to say a Golf GTI. I would not take a chance on a second hand unit, I would be looking at a re-conditioned exchange unit from a reputable repairer such as TVS engineering in the Netherlands. DQ250 Mechatronic - TVS Engineering
If the mechatronic is the cause of the problem, replacing it should fix the problem assuming that the correct procedures have been followed when replacing the clutches. If the repairer is not expert in DSG, I would get the vehicle towed to someone who is.

Reactions: voxmagna

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Why would the oil be black when AFIK it starts off red? Is there any possibility it can mix with engine oil? Are there Buna-N rubber O rings that can fail in the oil turning it black?
The only black oil I'm familiar with is graphite loaded Molyslip oils. They do additives for shift boxes, but would somebody put it in a DSG box?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't have DSG but many of our USA and NA members do. From reading posts I haven't come across many who have dug deep to do their own DSG repairs, although issues over warranty claims and religiously changing oil and filter crop up often. The fact these units have been replaced under warranty and lack of regular servicing cited as a reason for failure, would leave me suspicious that there may have been a design issue which V.W fix under warranty as and when they went wrong. That could mean used older units may not have had any design changes, compared to a new (expensive) part replacement?

IMHO you always take a compatibility risk trying to use parts from other VAG vehicles and expect them to work in the EOS system. This applies particularly to electronic control modules, even though they may have the same part number on a label. There is some diagnostics adaptation work to be done AFIK when installing Mechatronics units? You should make sure you have had your car scanned and all DSG related module information and any adaptation saved to better identify what you have, in case you need it.

In moments where I've taken a risk on a module, I've chosen the Golf/Passat series of a similar year because more were sold. But I've never paid a lot or waited weeks for an import due to the risk of it not working. If as you say you don't have the same resource for used parts, your options are limited. Presumably you can buy new dealer parts, but they will be very expensive?

I honestly don't think you will get replies from anybody who has actually fitted alternative parts themselves and my reply probably isn't that much help. There are lots of V.W part variants and the only thing you could do is search the EOS parts catalogue with your VIN or ask a dealer, get the latest genuine V.W EOS part number and search for it. I have suspected for a while that V.W (electronic) parts on a per vehicle model basis have been shrinking and replaced by more universal versions with a new part number. Finding that same compatible part being sold as used will be hard because it won't have been available for long and then only used as exchanges for repairs. If you can find a Chinese aftermarket part it may be worth a try if the cost/risk is low.
Temperature sensor under dsg recall all connected in that area but keep to OEM or om

1 - 5 of 5 Posts