Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I just received my 360 I ordered a separate can gateway (bottom) as suggested for battery drain I have a 2008 eos do I need the gateway or is that cable (top) enough?

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
610 Posts
Your 2008 may or may not have the battery drain issue, seems to be conflicting information on whether or not the 08 is subject to the problem. When I installed the RCD360, I ordered the canbus adapter, which will allow your steering wheel controls to work with the radio and eliminate the possibility of battery drain. Looks like you purchased a new gateway, probably cost way more than just getting the canbus adapter.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Luckily it arrived super late and I got a refund for it. One thing I noticed is that my radio doesn’t even need the antenna adapter which makes me wonder if I need the gateway. I don’t have controls on the steering wheel either. I guess I’ll just install it with the top cable that came with the 360 radio and pray I don’t drain. Is there a way to tell at all?

Your 2008 may or may not have the battery drain issue, seems to be conflicting information on whether or not the 08 is subject to the problem. When I installed the RCD360, I ordered the canbus adapter, which will allow your steering wheel controls to work with the radio and eliminate the possibility of battery drain. Looks like you purchased a new gateway, probably cost way more than just getting the canbus adapter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that image you posted the canbus adapter? Looks what I got in the box with the 360.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
610 Posts
Is that image you posted the canbus adapter? Looks what I got in the box with the 360.
Yes, that picture shows the canbus adapter connected to the RCD360 radio adapter harness. Also, the RCD360 does not have two antenna inputs and we have two antennas. I just turned on the radio to one of the weakest radio stations in my area and plugged in each antenna and chose the one that provided the best reception. I don't listen to the radio anyway, so it wasn't a issue for me.

As for battery drain, yes you can do a test to see if your getting a battery drain. Most people just come out to their car after a few days and find the battery dead. This video shows you how to test for battery drain, although on the EOS, it may be a different fuse, don't remember. You can consult your fuse diagram in your owners manual.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weird thing is I don’t actually have two antennas. I just have one. I was really surprised by that cause everyone mentions two antenna’s and I don’t have that. I just have one.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Perhap the EOS radio configuration is different for USA radio? In U.K pre digital DAB, the standard was f.m radio. DAB still suffers from iffy mobile reception and IMHO f.m is still the best. The EOS uses the rear window deffogger and another antenna mounted in the trunk lid. When the top is up, the best antenna will be the defogger. That is until the horizontal tracks corrode and stop heating! When the top is down, the rear window is stowed flat and horizontal in the tray. Top down is the worst case to test radio reception. Picking the antenna which seems to give the strongest signal may be the rear window, but repeat the test when the top is down. The purpose of diversity antennas is for the radio to pick which signal from 2 antennas is the strongest and as you drive around, particularly in built up areas, a stronger signal could be a reflection. The switch between the two antennas occurs seamlessly without clicks. As you drive about, reflected signals can be stronger and the diversity system makes the best choice. If you just pick one antenna that appears to work the best, it doesn't mean it will do so in these other situations.

Having looked at my original radio with 2 FAKRA antenna plugs and clever I.F diversity chips, I came to the conclusion V.W appreciated the problem of cabriolet radio reception top up and down and chose diversity design in the EOS radio as an alternative to an externally mounted whip antenna (which IMHO is still the best). V.W make many radio models for all their vehicles but the EOS and Audi cabriolets will have the unique problem of how to provide a decent antenna. I'd be interested to know what radio V.W fit in later EOS's and if they are different with an EOS specific part number, compared to the same radio type for say a Golf. If you are less bothered about F.M band radio it isn't an issue for you. Since the world of car radios assumes one antenna using the rear window defogger, that's what we have to work with. I've also tried top of screen flexi antennae, but they are horizontally polarised when vertical is best for mobile reception.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I'd be interested to know what radio V.W fit in later EOS's and if they are different with an EOS specific part number, compared to the same radio type for say a Golf.
AFAIK the Golf also has a diversity antenna setup and there’s no difference in the head units.

There may be a difference between the European and US markets, as the US has satellite radio so a different antenna setup.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Luckily it arrived super late and I got a refund for it. One thing I noticed is that my radio doesn’t even need the antenna adapter which makes me wonder if I need the gateway. I don’t have controls on the steering wheel either. I guess I’ll just install it with the top cable that came with the 360 radio and pray I don’t drain. Is there a way to tell at all?
Yes, you can look at the part number on the gateway. The letter at the end of the part number has to be K or later, or it should have two letters at the end, or the part number should start 7N0. Anything else could suffer from the battery drain issue.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
There may be a difference between the European and US markets, as the US has satellite radio so a different antenna setup.
I think they use 2.3Ghz (digital?) which means a much smaller antenna footprint and similar size to some of the GSM/GPS Bee Sting antennae. Since it is looking at the sky, a trunk lid mounted antenna would be ideal most of the time, until you get into big cities with sky scrapers blocking line of sight.

My Chinese Gateway had a letter on the end that wasn't listed anywhere in ETKA and there were no V.W logos in the plastic. That made me suspicious it was an emulator and not designed around the V.W hardware. I've opened up a couple of these so called 'clones'. Instead of recognisable chip maker names, you find one large unamed array chip and not much else. They rely on the market place testing their compatibility which is mostly Golfs & Passats, not EOS. But they are doing something I think V.W are now doing which is creating a universal control module which is supposed to be backwards compatible with previous generations? But I don't know if using them requires dealer firmware updates to other modules which we can't do? Saves on costs and warehousing lots of different parts. When you trawl through ETKA you can see some later parts flagged as replacement for several others. Unfortunately you won't find many of these sold as used car parts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok all. Installed rcd360. Amperage shows .01-.02 when testing with multimeter on 10A. So far so good. Anything else I should check? Working great so far. Radio turns off when car is off as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So one weird thing did just happen. Auto windows stopped and steering light on dash lit up. Turned car off and back on. Auto windows now work, started driving, steering light went off. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
610 Posts
Perhap the EOS radio configuration is different for USA radio? In U.K pre digital DAB, the standard was f.m radio. DAB still suffers from iffy mobile reception and IMHO f.m is still the best. The EOS uses the rear window deffogger and another antenna mounted in the trunk lid. When the top is up, the best antenna will be the defogger. That is until the horizontal tracks corrode and stop heating! When the top is down, the rear window is stowed flat and horizontal in the tray. Top down is the worst case to test radio reception. Picking the antenna which seems to give the strongest signal may be the rear window, but repeat the test when the top is down. The purpose of diversity antennas is for the radio to pick which signal from 2 antennas is the strongest and as you drive around, particularly in built up areas, a stronger signal could be a reflection. The switch between the two antennas occurs seamlessly without clicks. As you drive about, reflected signals can be stronger and the diversity system makes the best choice. If you just pick one antenna that appears to work the best, it doesn't mean it will do so in these other situations.

Having looked at my original radio with 2 FAKRA antenna plugs and clever I.F diversity chips, I came to the conclusion V.W appreciated the problem of cabriolet radio reception top up and down and chose diversity design in the EOS radio as an alternative to an externally mounted whip antenna (which IMHO is still the best). V.W make many radio models for all their vehicles but the EOS and Audi cabriolets will have the unique problem of how to provide a decent antenna. I'd be interested to know what radio V.W fit in later EOS's and if they are different with an EOS specific part number, compared to the same radio type for say a Golf. If you are less bothered about F.M band radio it isn't an issue for you. Since the world of car radios assumes one antenna using the rear window defogger, that's what we have to work with. I've also tried top of screen flexi antennae, but they are horizontally polarised when vertical is best for mobile reception.
The antenna that worked the best for me was the trunk antenna, but again, I don't listen to the radio.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
610 Posts
Ok all. Installed rcd360. Amperage shows .01-.02 when testing with multimeter on 10A. So far so good. Anything else I should check? Working great so far. Radio turns off when car is off as well.
Radio will maintain power for approx 10 minutes after you turn off the ignition. Trunk light is also on that 10 minute timer.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
610 Posts
So one weird thing did just happen. Auto windows stopped and steering light on dash lit up. Turned car off and back on. Auto windows now work, started driving, steering light went off. Any thoughts?
Sounds like you disconnected the battery, as those results will happen if you do. A reset of the power windows will fix the auto down option and driving and/or turning the steering wheel from full left to full right will reset the steering sensor.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like you disconnected the battery, as those results will happen if you do. A reset of the power windows will fix the auto down option and driving and/or turning the steering wheel from full left to full right will reset the steering sensor.
Sweet. Must’ve been that. I did disconnect the battery to test with multimeter so must’ve been it. Only other thing I’m noticing is the fog lights do not come on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Su 2008 puede o no tener el problema de agotamiento de la batería, parece haber información contradictoria sobre si el 08 está sujeto o no al problema. Cuando instalé el RCD360, pedí el adaptador canbus, que permitirá que los controles del volante funcionen con la radio y eliminará la posibilidad de que se agote la batería. Parece que compró una nueva puerta de enlace, probablemente cueste mucho más que solo obtener el adaptador canbus.
[/COTIZAR]
Hola de esta forma puede conectar estos cables para evitar la descarga de la batería ?

Your 2008 may or may not have the battery drain issue, there seems to be conflicting information as to whether or not the 08 is subject to the issue. When I installed the RCD360 I ordered the canbus adapter, which will allow the steering wheel controls to work with the radio and eliminate the possibility of battery drain. Sounds like you bought a new gateway, it probably cost a lot more than just getting the canbus adapter.

Hello in this way you can connect these cables to avoid battery discharge

1 - 18 of 18 Posts