Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading posts from this forum of others upgrading their radios, I bit the bullet and bought one. The dealer suggested I get the Quadlock Steering Wheel Control Adapter instead of the CANBUS adapter because it didn't need any coding. The install was much easier than I thought, maybe 20 minutes and the job was done. So I'm pretty happy to have CarPlay and everything that goes with it, but not everything is working as I thought.

I don't get the reversing sensor display come up although the volume dips when in reverse and the sensors are beeping so I'm thinking my model doesn't have the right sensors in place for this to work, or it needs coding to enable it.

The phone button on the steering wheel doesn't launch the phone app (is it supposed to?) and the up/down buttons on the right of the steering wheel change stations and the MFD at the same time. Again, is this a coding issue?

On a side note, there was supposed to be an antenna and camera adapter in the package, but apparently they're on the way. So for now, I plugged in one antenna (the white one) and oddly, FM reception seems better than the old unit because I can now get a lot more stations than before, although no AM reception which I don't care about anyway.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
The Genuine V.W F.M twin diversity antennae system for the EOS is very clever if it's in your model. There are many fake sellers of FAKRA 'dongles' on the internet for connecting two antennae together. They are rubbish because V.W radios with 2 white antennae inputs have very clever circuitry to select each antennae automatically according to signal strength and it is very fast at doing it. I expect this clever design to be V.W proprietary and not found in clones or other makes.

IMHO you can't easily prove a single antennae is 'better than before' because it depends on proximity to the station, its Tx power and beam direction, the surrounding terrain, going around corners and whether the top is up or down. You will get the real picture on long journeys when the station may be holding the signal or switching to others. I've done quite a lot of work on this and concluded the V.W radio diversity system is the best you can get with EOS hidden antennae. The really best performance comes from a single externally mounted whip antenna, but for some that would spoil the clean lines of the EOS. For now I use MP3 music as backup in poor radio areas.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I don't get the reversing sensor display come up although the volume dips when in reverse and the sensors are beeping so I'm thinking my model doesn't have the right sensors in place for this to work, or it needs coding to enable it.
You would need to upgrade your parking sensors to OPS (optical parking system). Plenty of people have done it on Golfs and Jettas, but I don't know how that plays with the Eos roof, as the reversing sensors are used to check whether there is an obstacle in the rear area before trying to open the roof.

The phone button on the steering wheel doesn't launch the phone app (is it supposed to?) and the up/down buttons on the right of the steering wheel change stations and the MFD at the same time. Again, is this a coding issue?
I'm guessing you have the red MFD. It could be that some coding is required. I don't know the RCD340 but I know that on the RCD330 it was mentioned that cars that have the red MFD aren't 100% compatible - but earlier units like the RNS510 were configurable to red or white MFD cars.

Reactions: Gretsch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
voxmagna,
The original unit was RCD500 MP3. Driving to town today, I can confirm the RCD340 reception is definitely better because on a particular stretch through a heavily treed valley, FM reception didn't fade anything like the RCD500.

aku-aku, yes I have the red MFD. Today I stopped at my VW service centre and the mechanic told me newer units generally are not compatible with my particular MFD. I noticed the radio menu on the MFD now doesn't appear which indicates the VW can't communicate with the RCD340. However, the phone and mute buttons do work as I can end a call and pause/silence audio. If I want to call someone, I'll probably call out for Siri to do it for me. I've read on another forum that OPS has an issue with the roof so I don't think I want to go there.

I was expecting some compatibility issues, but otherwise, I'm really happy with the upgrade and it's improved my driving experience immensely. I like the fact I can choose media from the SD card or my iPhone - not to mention internet radio :p then driving home, GPS was showing estimated time and distance to my home, without my intervention. Very cute :)

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

·
Registered
841 Posts
aku-aku, yes I have the red MFD. Today I stopped at my VW service centre and the mechanic told me newer units generally are not compatible with my particular MFD. I noticed the radio menu on the MFD now doesn't appear which indicates the VW can't communicate with the RCD340. However, the phone and mute buttons do work as I can end a call and pause/silence audio. If I want to call someone, I'll probably call out for Siri to do it for me. I've read on another forum that OPS has an issue with the roof so I don't think I want to go there.
I think if you wanted the OPS you'd need a new roof controller so they know how to talk to each other, but then who knows if that'd be compatible with the rest of the electronics.

Others on here reported that the steering wheel buttons work for the RCD330, so good to know that the 340 is the same. They seem quite tempting, but sadly aren't compatible with Dynaudio, so wouldn't work in my car :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts