Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share some of my discoveries while adding a back-up camera and dashcam to my 2015 EOS (US model). I searched and searched on-line, but I really found nothing that seemed to apply to my car. I think there are just too many flavors of the EOS in Europe, but there were fewer variations in the US so perhaps my notes will help someone.

I bought a cheap dashcam/back-up camera kit from a friend. He said that when he realized he'd have to drill a hole in the body to install it, he gave up on it. Stupidly I thought it would be easy... WRONG.

The dashcam consists of a mirror which attaches over the VW mirror, which can display video through the reflective coating when enabled.

STEP 1 - Dashcam functionality

I tucked the USB power cable across the left side of the windshield down to the fuse box. There I used one of those fuse piggyback things to add my 12V to 5V (USB) adapter. At that point the dashcam is working.

pic01.jpg pic02.jpg

STEP 2 - Manual back-up camera functionality

I ran the back-up camera wire to the right and down the windshield. Tucking under trim along the way it is pretty easy to get as far as the rear seat. Next, you must remove the rear seat cushion. Access to the trunk is not obvious from this side, so work from the trunk now. To do anything you must remove the rectangular grey plastic panel the houses the trunk light. Remove the two connectors, pry it loose from the rubber weatherstripping, and disconnect the trunk light.

pic03.jpg pic04.jpg

The little round connectors are problematic. They have a hex shaped cavity but I was never able to unscrew anything. Use a thin screwdriver or knife to pry up the small inner core enough to get a bigger screwdriver under it to pry the core out. If the core breaks off, you have to drill it out. About 10% of mine broke, but even without the core the remaining outer part actually holds pretty well by itself.

You will encounter many more of these connectors as you detach the right side trunk liner. There is only one Torx screw holding it up near the hinge, all the rest are these little gray plastic connectors. One is hidden way up on the right side.
pic05.jpg pic06.jpg pic07.jpg
You will now see what looks like a white plastic bag jammed up in the place where you'd like to run your wire to the rear seat. Just pull this bag out. Shine a light or something in there and you should be able to fish the wire through the back of the rear seat area. Now run it along the floor to the back of the car. Here I discovered that my friend was correct, despite a hole in the trunk, and access up through the license plate light cavity, there is no connection between the two. You must put a drill bit inside the hole in the trunk and drill blindly through the thin metal there. At this point you can now fish your wire out to the license plate light and mount the camera.

You can now manually activate the back-up camera.

STEP 3 - Automatic back-up camera activation

My set-up had a red wire at the camera end which needed to be connected to the back-up light. Sadly I lost most of a day trying to find a wire in the dummy back-up lights. If you want to see what lights up back there and you don't have a helper, turn the car ON, but don't start it. Press the brake and engage REVERSE. Now you can get out and walk around.

pic08.jpg pic09.jpg pic10.jpg

Once I knew the light was in the trunk lid, I started attacking it from that end. There's no need to remove the entire liner of the trunk lid, just loosen enough to attach a wire to the black lead of the back-up light and sneak it down along with the other wire (radio antenna leads) into the lower trunk. Following the existing wires insures that nothing will get caught when the top folds down. Attach this wire to the lead from the back-up camera and you're done.

Knowing what I know now this is a half-day job, but it took me multiple long weekends to figure it all out!

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
The dashcam consists of a mirror which attaches over the VW mirror, which can display video through the reflective coating when enabled.
I bought one for its HD video spec. and general quality, but mine is still in its box.
When the top is down there's a lot of stray sunlight coming in. I found their built in mirror worse for driving than the OE mirror and the same for night driving. Although the video display side of it worked well, the important mirror function done through the lcd color display wasn't as good and I need that 99% of the time.
You will now see what looks like a white plastic bag jammed up in the place where you'd like to run your wire to the rear seat. Just pull this bag out.
That's one of their 'acoustic' bags. As part of my ventilation/condensation improvement mod. I removed both of mine.

Perhaps your strap on video mirror works better as a driving mirror than mine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm afraid my video mirror has the same flaws as yours. Plus it tends to vibrate somewhat at certain speeds. The other problem is the small video display area. Overall it's better than nothing, but not in the same league as replacing the head unit or something and getting access to the big built-in display.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
When I got mine I was more interested in fitting a decent HD box camera rear facing between the rear seat headrests and having remote zoom on the camera with a decent CCTV lens and iris. Thinking about it, if their display mirror could have been easily flipped up and down to use the OE mirror most of the time I would have been happy. You don't realize how something simple like reflections and stray light can affect the rear view. But then they have a color lcd with a mirror behind it, thicker glass and hence the problems. I might still go back to it and try it on the sun visor. Wifey has her illuminated vanity mirror, so the driver could have a decent rear facing long range camera with extra blue light sensitivity and image recognition for fast cars with lots of antennae sticking out! I have tried a decent CCTV camera on the parcel shelf, but the problem is getting a suitable vibration free mounting and I didn't want it external. The V.W emblem would be ideal but a CCTV box iris lens is rather large.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts