Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

IPOD Adapter/Bluetooth Add-ons really worth it?

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Darren 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Eos with factory installed nav (MFD2) I was debating whether to wait and get an all new nav system (perhaps Pioneer F series) or just get the bluetooth and ipod adapter add ons (perhaps via a vw dealer at $300 each).

I was just curious if anyone has had either installed, especially with a 2008 Eos or older and if the options provided by either are worth it.

Thanks

#2 ·
Hello,
I have a 2008 EOS with RNS510 Sat Nav factory installed. I will add a Fiscon Bluetooth telephone kit but I have to order a Vag-Com software first to do the coding.
I don't know how the tel kits work with MFD2 but if you are thinking of replacing it, there are many new units wich include the Ipod interface and bluetooth telephone functions (Zenec)

#3 ·
Zenec

Hi I have the full Zenec set up with nav and it is Great,
Bluetooth built in CD DVD Full i pod kit the whole 9 yards fitted myself in 30-40 minutes it really is Plug and play the ony thing you have to do is thread the navigation and i pod wires along the back of the dash into the glovebox but not technical or hard.
The unit works great, you can pair 3 phones with the unit at any one time it really is a great item, there is a newer version due out now with the nav unit inbuilt but i didn't see the point waiting you hide the unit away so it is as if all in one anyway.

Hope this helps

Steve

#4 ·
Talked to VW and....

VW dealer in VA stated that the parts cost for bluetooth is $341 and to install is $230 (bestbuy would do it for $65) Additionally the ipod adapter is $230 for parts and $260 for install (bestbuy $65).

They arent even sure if the ipod adapter will charge the ipod or just show up on the nav screen. Also with the bluetooth itll be impossible to hear esp when my convertible top is down.

In addition to limited functionality on the MFD2, you must choose to have either ipod or bluetooth because the nav will only support one or the other not both. I asked if having the RNS510 would make a difference and they said no.

I figured I would share the info for others out there. I guess the best bet are after market navs from other vendors.

#5 ·
I've posted elsewhere on this but I really like my Garmin Nuvi 360. It fits just infront of the gearshift nicely and I use the out on it via a mini-plug to the AUX in. I have a 4GB SD card in it with MP3s loaded. I play my music through it and when I am navigating, it pauses the music, announces the directions (over the speakers of the Dynaudio) and then plays the music again. True that the song titles, etc don't show up in the MFD, but for only a few hundred dollars, ease of upgrading the maps, etc, I think it is a perfect way to get nav and music. Oh, yeah, the Nuvi 360 also has bluetooth for my phone. Top down, I talk loudly and the other person comes through my speakers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.