Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously the sun roof is glass, or at least a high grade of transparent plastic. What I want to know is .... what is the section of roof between the sun roof and rear window made of. ANd what do you use to clean it? Just glass cleaner, or polish and wax?

·
Registered
333 Posts
The panel behind the glass is steel. I thought it was glass too at first but I bought the Bentley CD Manual for the Eos and it states that it is a steel panel. I wax mine and keep it clean with soft cloth and not abrasive cleaner. It DOES look like it would scratch very easily.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The panel behind the glass is steel. I thought it was glass too at first but I bought the Bentley CD Manual for the Eos and it states that it is a steel panel. I wax mine and keep it clean with soft cloth and not abrasive cleaner. It DOES look like it would scratch very easily.
Thanks, I suspected it was steel but wanted another opinion. I just acquired an 09 Factory exec car with low mileage and want to really put a good finish on it. Don't know if it was ever waxed or not but it has a few swirls in it when viewed out in the sunshine. Planning on using Meguiars Swirl X and finish up with Meguiars Gold Class Wax.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Oh well, live and learn :eek: I've had my Eos for over three years and I've always assumed that the whole roof is glass and cleaned it accordingly. Maybe I'd better start using polish on it, though it still looks fine with no marks.

·
Growing old disgracefully
239 Posts
Thanks, I suspected it was steel but wanted another opinion. I just acquired an 09 Factory exec car with low mileage and want to really put a good finish on it. Don't know if it was ever waxed or not but it has a few swirls in it when viewed out in the sunshine. Planning on using Meguiars Swirl X and finish up with Meguiars Gold Class Wax.
If you want a really good finish and your paintwork isn't as slippery as you would expect, your hand should travel over the surface without any resistance or sound, try clay. Meguires is good but so are others.

·
Quiet~Flight
149 Posts
I learned a simple test. After the car is washed, take a ziplock clear storage bag and put your hand in it. Rub it over the cars paint. You will probably feel many thousands of bumps.... take hand out of bag and run your bare hand over same area... feels smooth. Once you clay bar the paint, it should be smoother (with zip lock bag). Wash. Clay. Wax. You can probably clay once every 6 - 12 months.

Hope this also helps...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've just noticed that I can't put my magnetic GB sticker on the boot/trunk lid. So, I assume this is some form of plastic. A GB sticker is a requirement when travelling around Europe (England to France) as are yellow safety vests and headlight converters. By the way for anyone fitting the EUROLITES you need ascertain whether you've got the 'projector style' (diagram 4) or 'standard style' (diagram 6) type of lights. It took me a while to understand this by experimentation shining the dimmed lights on the wall.

·
EOS GOD
2 Posts
Thanks. For sharing this information. The clear coat has finally come away and I was wondering if I should respray or just vinyl wrap this section..i think based on this I'll wrap it..once again appreciate the thread

1 - 8 of 8 Posts