Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

The garage want £300 to change my belt but I’m trying to cut costs. I know it’s still a bugger of a job but if I supply the parts they’re happy to do the work.

So: I’d this much timing belt? I have a 2006 Sport Cabriolet 2.0 Litre TDi.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
I've done this on my MY07 Tdi. Check compatibility with your engine version. Mine is the BMM 8V. If your mileage is around the 60k or 120k you definitely need the belt, water pump and tensioner. The workshop should have the camshaft/crank locking tools and tension spring holding pin - but they are cheap on Fleabay anyway. My old parts came out like new and I think they could have run for longer.

They made some changes to the tensioner assembly fitting (There are 2 compatible manufacturer types supplied with kits). Instructions in kits are by numbers and read like assembling IKEA furniture. But your workshop should know what they are doing. I've used the aftermarket kits, but tend to choose those of German origin. If you get your car back after a belt change and its performance seems flat, they were a tooth out in timing alignment which is very easy to do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Vox, I may bite the Juliet and jet them have full whack, they only want £300 all in and the alternative is catastrophe. I zero in on concourse condition and couldn’t be happier with it. Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looking into changing the timing belt replacement kit
But dunno which one to get
I have a 2008 2 lt tsi dsg automatic
I don't want to spend a lot but also don't want budget one
Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Nobody sensible will throw a part number to you when you could find your engine grenades at first start up. Forget saving a few beans on parts and think more about extra tools you will need and your competence to do the work right first time, because you only get one chance. Kits are usually matched to vehicle type, year and a VIN number.

If you have any doubts, leave it to a competent independent who has seen and changed timing belts on hundreds of V.W cars already, will give you a warranty and if they get it wrong, their insurer will buy you a new car.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wasn't going to replace it myself
Was only going to supply parts
Any manufacturer recommention
Thanks
Any garage which will fit customer parts are stupid/desparate, because they, by law, need to guarantee the work. Let the garage supply and fit the parts they want to. A decent garage doesn't want comebacks so will know and use reasonable/decent parts.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
I don't get much work done but I know my local independent uses the V.W parts distributor and EuroCarParts. They get trade prices, know they are getting the right parts and get them 'just in time' along with any other parts when they do the job. They add some on, but still price the parts lower than retail so it's a no brainer to source your own if they are doing the work. A cambelt change + water pump if required costs much more in labor than the parts. In my area small independent garages can get parts in stock within a couple of hours.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Agree, for no quibble warrenty, let the garage supply the parts, also Nothing worse than supplying parts for someone else to fit and finding out they are the wrong ones.
I only buy parts I'm going to fit if I'm trying to save money, least if it's wrong or poor make, then it's my problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts