Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I've done it 'word of mouth' in front of the service person whilst they look at their screen, just take notes. They will probably run a mile from copy/paste and emailing anything. If they want to do any work on your car and keep their jobs, you should expect them to be helpful, or try another dealer.

Your first interface with a V.W dealer for a 'new to you' car is important because this is the start of building trust for later service work or problems. If you don't get the co-operation you expect, it probably won't work in the future and you should try another dealer if you have one.

I found this out early on when I was treated like a numpty. Now all my work is DIY and I order parts from other VAG dealerships - Audi, Seat, Skoda and NOT those selling V.W.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A trusted independent I have used for other cars can do the cambelt and water pump for £425 all in - seems reasonable?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Sounds o.k to have the job done correctly and you only get one chance. Drive the car a bit first to get used to how it accelerates. The only time I took a non V.W car to a garage for a belt change, it came back feeling a bit sluggish because they were a tooth out. I do my own belts now and I know how easy it is to be a tooth out when a new belt is fitted. Independents don't have access to previous history of work done by V.W dealers. I always use a correction pen to mark covers with mileage if I replace a belt (and filters), I don't know why more tech.s don't do this.

Since you are going for the Full Monty with water pump, I think there's also a cheap plain V belt used as auxiliary and you might as well have that changed at the same time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sounds o.k to have the job done correctly and you only get one chance. Drive the car a bit first to get used to how it accelerates. The only time I took a non V.W car to a garage for a belt change, it came back feeling a bit sluggish because they were a tooth out. I do my own belts now and I know how easy it is to be a tooth out when a new belt is fitted. Independents don't have access to previous history of work done by V.W dealers. I always use a correction pen to mark covers with mileage if I replace a belt (and filters), I don't know why more tech.s don't do this.

Since you are going for the Full Monty with water pump, I think there's also a cheap plain V belt used as auxiliary and you might as well have that changed at the same time.
Again, thank you for your advice and for taking time to respond I'll ask about the V belt too. Have called and emailed the dealer just to see what they would charge but not had a response maybe they are not working due to the current circumstances

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I found dealer service more difficult to make contact with for a few parts I needed than independents during the first Covid lockdown. In fact, buying good parts from Fleabay mail order and my local Euro Carparts counter was easier. The V.W network employs more people and admin staff and have to have more social distancing than say a one man band independent, but they may have too much work. We haven't had MOT extensions this time either and many workshops are still catching up on the backlog from last time.

You won't be doing many miles or using much fuel during the next 7 weeks, but you need your EOS ship shape for the start of spring to drive in Covid free air. But be careful sitting top down in traffic queues. If you can smell cigarette smoke, perfume and aftershave from the car in front take care!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Lol, they are going to do the auxiliary belt for an extra £30 so thanks for mentioning it, booked in for Monday. Working so no lockdown for me, will be doing 30 miles a day, have to be honest it's blooming lovely to drive, had a few hairdresser comments but I don't care!

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
We've never discussed top down headgear wear AFIK, I keep a lined baseball type cap in the glovebox and in Winter it's full heat/blower and all face vents pointing at me! I keep the top up on long drives over 60mph, finding it too noisy unless I have ear plugs and I'd get strange looks wearing a motorbike helmet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
We've never discussed top down headgear wear AFIK, I keep a lined baseball type cap in the glovebox and in Winter it's full heat/blower and all face vents pointing at me! I keep the top up on long drives over 60mph, finding it too noisy unless I have ear plugs and I'd get strange looks wearing a motorbike helmet.
Lololololol

21 - 28 of 28 Posts