Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there,
I just had a dash light come on while driving my 2010 Eos Highline a couple hours ago with the warning “check front left dipped beam”. After arriving at my destination, I shut the car off and turned it back on again. The dash light went out within about a minute but the “headlights” are now two different colours? Attached is a picture that shows how the headlights look (ignore the mes—garage is a bit untidy at the moment):
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Wood Gas

Even after searching the internet for a while (I couldn’t find anything even slightly related) I’m perplexed by this and don’t really know how to proceed. I live over two hours away from a VW dealership so I figured asking here first could save me the huge inconvenience and expense of going to the dealership unnecessarily.

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts
IMHO - failed QI bulb with the only light coming from the filament.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
My garage is worse than yours, there's only enough space for me! The stock halogen bulb setup is a single filament bulb behind each projector lens for main and a single filament bulb for dip in the large headlamp housing. On main, both lamps should be lit each side - check by looking! If a lamp is lit but looks yellow compared to the other side you probably have a bad wiring connection which could trip bulb failure even though the lamp appear lit and yellow? If you put a digital voltmeter across the lamp connector and it reads much lower than the battery voltage or different each side, that's your problem.

In some rare cases, a filament can partially short inside the bulb making it much brighter than it should be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update 06/21/22:
I discovered that the dipped beam triggering the dash warning works and looks fine for the first couple seconds, then slowly fades into the more orange/yellow colour. The beam had completely “shut off” by the time I finished a 20 minute drive today but shutting the car off and turning it back on again seems to “reset the timer” so to speak. I’ll try to add a link to a video shortly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like two different Kelvin ratings on your bulbs. Are you headlights halogen or HID?
They are halogen as far as I know. I replied to this post with an update as well. The bulb in question changes colour and eventually shuts off completely depending on how long it’s used, so I’m doubtful it’s a kelvin rating issue unless there are bulbs out there with dynamic kelvin adjustment and my Eos just happens to have them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My garage is worse than yours, there's only enough space for me! The stock halogen bulb setup is a single filament bulb behind each projector lens for main and a single filament bulb for dip in the large headlamp housing. On main, both lamps should be lit each side - check by looking! If a lamp is lit but looks yellow compared to the other side you probably have a bad wiring connection which could trip bulb failure even though the lamp appear lit and yellow? If you put a digital voltmeter across the lamp connector and it reads much lower than the battery voltage or different each side, that's your problem.

In some rare cases, a filament can partially short inside the bulb making it much brighter than it should be.
I’ll have to take a look at the lamp connectors, as a wiring issue is starting to look likely. I posted an update in this post thread with further details as well.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
610 Posts
They are halogen as far as I know. I replied to this post with an update as well. The bulb in question changes colour and eventually shuts off completely depending on how long it’s used, so I’m doubtful it’s a kelvin rating issue unless there are bulbs out there with dynamic kelvin adjustment and my Eos just happens to have them?
Swap the bulbs, from left/right and see if the problem transitions to the other side. If it does, its the bulb, if not, then its wiring.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I do what I think is good practice with tungsten headlamp bulbs: Unless they are the over run higher brightness types they will last a reasonable time. But when one fails, another will often fail a short time after. You can find them starting to blacken on the inside or the filaments look 'crusty'.

Since it can be a fiddle faddle getting your fingers in taking off the covers and fitting new bulbs correctly, I always replace them both or all together. New tungsten headlamp bulbs are pretty cheap, often sold as pairs anyway and if a shop changed them they would charge more for labor than the cost of bulbs. In some countries a failed headlight bulb can be a ticket and it's a no brainer not to replace them all for several years trouble free lights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update 06/25/22:
After taking apart the whole front end to get at the bulbs and swapping them, I concluded that I need a new bulb. The left one clearly looks burnt and the problem moved with it to the right side. I’m ordering a new pair (because as previously mentioned, it makes sense to replace both together) and will be installing them when they arrive in a few days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts