Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2007 EOS sport 2.0 with 67k miles for my wife. twice recently (a couple hours apart) it bucked in lower RPMs at point of shifting under easy acceleration. a few hours later, under moderate acceleration, there was a huge, thick exhaust cloud. I couldn't even see the car behind me! In just a few seconds it cleared and hasn't happened again now two hours later. There were no engine lights and everything seemed normal otherwise.
Are these connected, & what can I do to diagnose this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm still experiencing an occasional huge white cloud of exhaust. Usually when under light acceleration after a stop. Twice it was preceded by a "miss" or jerk but no engine lights come on. All else seems normal. Anyone ever heard of this? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have not heard of it. I have a 2007 Sport with 82000 miles and no problems. During the first and second year I had some bucking when I was crusing at 75 mph. It took four trips to the dealer to solve the problem, but then it was a new model back then. No clouds of smoke.

Steve

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I recently bought a 2007 EOS sport 2.0 with 67k miles for my wife. twice recently (a couple hours apart) it bucked in lower RPMs at point of shifting under easy acceleration. a few hours later, under moderate acceleration, there was a huge, thick exhaust cloud. I couldn't even see the car behind me! In just a few seconds it cleared and hasn't happened again now two hours later. There were no engine lights and everything seemed normal otherwise.
Are these connected, & what can I do to diagnose this.
A white cloud that dissipates very quickly is more likely to be condensation, this could be a sign of a blown head gasket. A white or grey cloud that hangs around could be a sign of heavy oil consumption ie. worn rings or valve stem seals.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not from headgasket. It's oil. Using way too much & finding soot on rear bumper. Seems to load up after highway cruising or slow city driving. switched to Castrol edge. minimal improvement if any. Putting in new NGK plugs this week. Also switching to only premium fuel. Not comfortable with oil additives but if anybody has an informed opinion on something beneficial , I'd love to hear it. Thanks friends, not giving up on VW yet ;)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It's not from headgasket. It's oil. Using way too much & finding soot on rear bumper. Seems to load up after highway cruising or slow city driving. switched to Castrol edge. minimal improvement if any. Putting in new NGK plugs this week. Also switching to only premium fuel. Not comfortable with oil additives but if anybody has an informed opinion on something beneficial , I'd love to hear it. Thanks friends, not giving up on VW yet ;)
Just a thought it could be turbo seals, and worst case scenario if they go big time it will dump all your engine oil into the intercooler.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VW tech in St Paul suggested new NGK irridium plugs and thicker synth oil. The old plugs were definitely BAD. It's helped some no doubt. still happened once or twice. I'm hearing about HPR15 15w60 oil. I'd like to try that now. Is HPR a brand? I've been a car guy for 40 yrs & never heard of HPR.

·
Super Moderator
2,388 Posts
VW tech in St Paul suggested new NGK irridium plugs and thicker synth oil. The old plugs were definitely BAD. It's helped some no doubt. still happened once or twice. I'm hearing about HPR15 15w60 oil. I'd like to try that now. Is HPR a brand? I've been a car guy for 40 yrs & never heard of HPR.

HPR oils are a brand name owned by an Australian company Penrite and they have an oil for VWs that is certified to VW 502, 505 and 507 specification [Enviro+ 5W-30 fully synthetic oil]. HPR15 15W-60 is a synthetic oil certified to VW 502 and 505 specification only, it is an oil mainly for older engines with oil consumption problems especially in hot climates; I personally would not consider it for use in cold climates [cold cranking viscosity at -20deg Celsius is 4404cP] especially Wisconsin having experienced a Milwaukee winter.

More information can be found on the following link:

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products-categ.php?id_categ=1&id_brand=1

We might be the end of the world for those in the northern hemisphere but we often lead the world as well :).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the HPR info silvershadow. It's just a summer car so I'm considering the 15w60 synth. Car still loads up if I'm climbing a hill slowly or taking it real easy. Even clatters briefly when it loads up heavily (Just once).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would be looking at the turbo seals, as someone else has sugested. Also keep to the correct oil for your car as the wrong oil could do more damage. The clattering could be because the compression has been raised by oil getting onto the top of the pistons and it pinking, just a thought.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Mine is the Tdi and I have already discovered something about the turbo.

The last time I had the underbody tray off I noticed black oil around the big hose into the intercooler. When I uncoupled it with those fiddly spring clips there was oil inside which I cleaned out.

I took the issue forward because that is a low point and higher up is where the engine breather gets fed in. I spoke to several turbo rebuilders who said with the cars low mileage, I was unlikely to be getting turbo seal problems.

Then I looked more into the engine breather arrangement only to find that oil pickup is quite a common problem with closed loop engine breathing. In fact you can buy addon separators which take any oil drops and return them to the sump. Unfortunately they are a bit large to fit in.

I have tried something crude but cannot say if it has worked until the tray comes off in a few weeks time for the steering rack investigation. I wrapped some Scotchbrite into a cylinder shape and pushed it into the breather feeder hose before it gets connected into the turbo loop.

The other thing that may help is the car is now driven aiming for 2K on the tach. That should help move oil vapour back into the motor rather than have it build up with low rpm town driving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts