Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trading in my EOS, so I wanted to remove the module before I take it to the dealer. I did the initial installation myself, so I'm very familiar with how it went in. I reversed the installations, removed the module, and buttoned everything back up in the trunk... only to find that my car wouldn't start!!
I removed the trunk carpet again, rechecked all the connections, still no help. I then disconnected the negative battery terminal, waited 5 minutes, then tried again. Still no luck. Car is DEAD!!!!
All the other electronics function as I would expect - courtesy lights, etc - so it appears the battery is fine. It should be - it was just replaced last May.
When I try to start the vehicle I hear a thwap-thwap-thwap under the hood... not the usual clicking.. a definite thwap, or maybe a thud??

Please help!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
If you had said you had removed an aftermarket car alarm I could understand your symptoms. But not a SmartTop. These car electronics can be quite sensitive doing anything.

I can only suggest you try putting it back and see if the car comes good. If it doesn't, then something else has gone wrong and you need to get it scanned for fault codes. It is better to have a running car than a broken car with a working SmartTop.

·
Great Car Guy!
36 Posts
I'm trading in my EOS, so I wanted to remove the module before I take it to the dealer. I did the initial installation myself, so I'm very familiar with how it went in. I reversed the installations, removed the module, and buttoned everything back up in the trunk... only to find that my car wouldn't start!!
I removed the trunk carpet again, rechecked all the connections, still no help. I then disconnected the negative battery terminal, waited 5 minutes, then tried again. Still no luck. Car is DEAD!!!!
All the other electronics function as I would expect - courtesy lights, etc - so it appears the battery is fine. It should be - it was just replaced last May.
When I try to start the vehicle I hear a thwap-thwap-thwap under the hood... not the usual clicking.. a definite thwap, or maybe a thud??

Please help!!!!!!!!!

I agree with voxmagna. You should reinstall it and see if your car starts. BUT, I had a 2008 and did the same (I added the smarttop then removed it before selling). I had no issue at all. And now it is on my 2012, working fine.

Good luck.

Frank in Michigan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Put it back in and if it works just set SMARTOP to disable mode via the sunroof/top buttons. You can set it in disable or ghost mode, its function 1 and it wont be detected by any system from the dealer. Everything will be factory settings and when you get it back turn it back on, check website for manual

1 - 4 of 4 Posts