Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I’ve just bought a 2007 eos and I would like to upgrade the media unit and get one with Bluetooth and reverse camera.
Any ideas or recommendations for units that would fit?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Search on here for "RCD330" if you want something that fits in with the rest of the dashboard. Unless you have Dynaudio (you can tell by the amplifier under the left front seat and the Dynaudio badges on the front speakers) in which case you're limited to the RNS510.

As for the reversing camera, it depends on how fancy you want to be. If you have a bit of money to spare, the nicest option is the badge camera.

I've retrofitted a lot of this stuff and written it up, my forum profile page has links to all the details.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Search on here for "RCD330" if you want something that fits in with the rest of the dashboard. Unless you have Dynaudio (you can tell by the amplifier under the left front seat and the Dynaudio badges on the front speakers) in which case you're limited to the RNS510.

As for the reversing camera, it depends on how fancy you want to be. If you have a bit of money to spare, the nicest option is the badge camera.

I've retrofitted a lot of this stuff and written it up, my forum profile page has links to all the details.
Thanks
Can you recommend a specific RCD330 and a camera ? I went online and there are many choices aftermarket

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
If it doesn't have a genuine V.W part number or V.W isn't advertised as the brand and it's cheap, then it's one of the many Chinese look alike clones. Search for RCD330 price high to low, most expensive will be the genuine V.W. I don't know if the clones fully implement Dynaudio. I bet they will drive the speakers with audio but I don't know if they will give the same full sound as genuine Dynaudio? I'd be surprised because Dynaudio is proprietary. Perhaps aku knows? The clones like mine don't implement the full V.W antenna diversity either which is very clever. Diversity radio reception is important in an EOS with no decent external radio antennae if you listen to local radio stations. These can drop out more easily due to low signal or obstructions. A genuine V.W radio should have 2 FAKRA antenna connections. If it comes with one and a splitter, it's not true diversity.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
169 Posts
If it doesn't have a genuine V.W part number or V.W isn't advertised as the brand and it's cheap, then it's one of the many Chinese look alike clones. Search for RCD330 price high to low, most expensive will be the genuine V.W. I don't know if the clones fully implement Dynaudio. I bet they will drive the speakers with audio but I don't know if they will give the same full sound as genuine Dynaudio? I'd be surprised because Dynaudio is proprietary. Perhaps aku knows?
Read the thread. Initial result was one type of sound output, after making some changes, the sound was corrected and replicates the original sound of the Dynaudio system

The RCD330 is a VW product from newer model that has been modified to work in older cars. I have a RCD360, it has VW all over it and VCDS recognizes it, not possible with aftermarket radio

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If it doesn't have a genuine V.W part number or V.W isn't advertised as the brand and it's cheap, then it's one of the many Chinese look alike clones. Search for RCD330 price high to low, most expensive will be the genuine V.W. I don't know if the clones fully implement Dynaudio. I bet they will drive the speakers with audio but I don't know if they will give the same full sound as genuine Dynaudio? I'd be surprised because Dynaudio is proprietary. Perhaps aku knows?
Even the original ones don’t implement it properly as they’re low-end units made for the Chinese market. According to 2phast’s link you can do some sound system configuration and make it work without distortion - but I wouldn’t recommend it for those who chose a car with Dynaudio because they appreciate good quality sound. At least, not until I’d heard it in action!

A genuine V.W radio should have 2 FAKRA antenna connections. If it comes with one and a splitter, it's not true diversity.
Surprisingly not all of them do. The lower end radios - and even the RNS300 - don’t have a diversity antenna and only have a single input. The RCD330 is a pretty basic unit from that perspective - even if it does do Carplay and Android Auto!

For what it’s worth I suspect that many of the clones come out of the same factory as the originals. It’s all a bit murky but the best bet is to find someone knowledgeable on the internet who got one and ask them where they got it from!

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
For what it’s worth I suspect that many of the clones come out of the same factory as the originals.
Not sure if you mean same as V.W, but certainly there are loads of Chinese clones with different marketing, options and the same type of guts. I've been inside mine a couple of times. Any more going inside and I'm worried parts will be breaking! They use a single mother board and attach the various modules in a cube fashion starting with the front panel. This is how they can seemingly all have different options at different prices. I have a DTV tuner and DAB radio in mine, they are just a couple of modules linked to the motherboard. The cube physical design makes it really hard to work on since some of the upright boards are hard soldered with a ratsnest of ribbon cable joining everything up.

The original V.W rf antenna diversity if they still use it is really clever. They use a special Philips (?) IC chip which duplicates two I.F channels, then they detect and level at I.F to avoid the need to do it badly and noisily at r.f. Lack of decent diversity on my clone means it can't hold weaker stations well. I once toyed with installing an external antenna and the only place I thought would work avoiding roof collisions was the center of the windshield section just forward of the sunroof. But I was too scared to start drilling a hole then have it go rusty around the antenna mount. Now I listen mostly to MP3s which are interference free.

I did have some issues with processor noise hash pickup affecting the satnav antenna and FM radio. Of course this gets worse with weak reception. I fixed some of that with screening, power line filters and some extra caps on the internal power lines.
My clone like most has seemingly quite comprehensive E.Q. controls. But the flashy screens are not what they seem. If you want the kind of true bass you can get with Dynaudio you need the power amps and speakers to match. The clones will spec. their audio output power at some distortion level, but you won't be able to sustain loud clean bass boosted by several dB. The Chinese have learned to limit power output gracefully as their boxes heat up or switch on a noisy fan and hope you won't notice.

If you mount the PA separately under the seat, you can get decent power. Although all that size has now changed with digital amps. I'm o.k with them for bass, but not above 100Hz.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Not sure if you mean same as V.W, but certainly there are loads of Chinese clones with different marketing, options and the same type of guts.
I'm thinking of all the different people selling RCD330s. The software on them is different but I suspect that they're coming out of the same factory, since that is (I hear) a common practice in China - once they've tooled up to build something, might as well sell more of them through other channels. There will be the more usual knock-offs as well - but many RCD330s are "too good" for that.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
The only thing you can do is try and get user feedback on a particular clone model? Although Radio 56 diagnostics errors may not be discovered until their car is scanned. Then there's the issue of compatibility with steering controls to test if you have them. I know my (old) clone doesn't fully implement V.W proprietary radio CAN and one clue is it won't come on in the ignition switch radio position. A cheap workaround for them is to simply detect the ignition on/off CAN and nothing else. My early OE radio can be scanned with vcds in diagnostics mode and test every speaker with a ping tone. I can't see the clones doing that.

It's old news now but my local VAG Stealership was fitting cheaper Pioneer alternative models and I can't see them doing that if there were compatibility issues. I might upgrade my clone to Android based but what's stopping me is the availability of good non-proprietary GPS mapping software which doesn't rely on Google maps and internet connections. That was one advantage of the WINCE mobile operating system when TomTom, Garmin etc sold mapping software that ran on PDAs. Now it's all locked down through hardware and cloud linked licensing.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Yep, user feedback is the way forward for figuring out what to get. There's at least one forum dedicated to the RCD330 and that's the best place for such advice. As for steering wheel controls, I think those do work for the RCD330 - but the display doesn't, as the RCD330 is newer and only supports the BAP (white) display protocol, not the older DDP.

I believe most of the higher-end car audio companies have some kind of CAN interface these days. Alpine make head units designed to slot straight into certain VW models (not the Eos, sadly) and even have an adapter to use their head units with the Dynaudio system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts