Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what technology the V.W EOS MFD display uses (Early 07)?

The attached photo shows my display as good after it rested a while. But whilst driving, a shadow started appearing from the bottom up which could make the odo difficult to read for annual test. :(

I suspect the display is going to be a pain to get to, replace, code and may involve the immo. module. If the display is edge lit with leds I might be able to fix those, but if it's electro luminescent with a failing layer and creeping doom, I will be stuffed to try and repair it.

I don't know if transplanting a good display panel into my existing module and keeping settings would be possible?

Anybody been there?

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
I sure wish I could help, especially after all the help and advice you've given me and this community as a whole. I can't believe your mileage is so low. When converted to Km, you and I have about the same amount of mileage on our vehicles but mine's a 2013! Looks as though despite it being an 07, you've got YEARS left to go with that baby!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I've always assumed it's edge-lit, based on how the light comes through it in strange conditions.

From reading http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3043843 it seems that the cause of your problem could just be that it's a bit hot right now (LCDs tend to go dark when they get unusually hot). Wait for the usual British weather to resume and the problem could go away, if you're lucky...

·
Registered
436 Posts
It is relatively easy to remove the instrument cluster from the car. I have seen a Wheelers and Dealers episode where the MFD was replaced on an Audi TT - very similar to the EOS and the MFD was replaced by someone in London or thereabouts.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll monitor what it does in cooler weather. I might be able to do something if it's edge lit. But some types of LCD displays used in cars can 'bleed' from the edges due to contaminants leaking through the LCD edge seal. When that happens they are dead. I've had the opposite problem with cheap lcds stored in sub zero temperatures that start going black from the edges

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Research update

O.K I've done some research and it appears that this problem often heat related is common for the V.W FIS display screen. Filtering through various posts it seems the problem isn't the lcd panel itself but their ribbon cable which interfaces the display to the FIS screen.

There are 2 versions of VW instrument cluster. I think MY07 is the VDO version, but you have to check the name on the housing before considering a repair and parts.

The OE ribbon cable seems to be made with carbon tracks and the ends of the ribbon are heat glued with some kind of heat curing conductive adhesive. I've met this before and they use this method because you can't solder to the plastic backing. Over time the carbon tracks and their interface with the tinned circuit board can become intermittent with temperature.

The 'dive in and fix' method using micro electronic surgery is to replace their delicate ribbon film with copper ribbon cable and solder the ends. Fiddly, but I like the idea for permanency and reliability.

Another option is to look at this site:

http://www.pixelfix.net/eng/audi-vw-seat.html

They sell replacement silver ribbon cables and complete module replacement kits at what seems a fair price when you can't buy from a Stealer. If you replace the complete cluster you have to do some tedious re-coding which includes the IMO module and vcds won't do that. I shall probably do what most others have done for now, tolerate the bottom edge dimming in very hot weather until it starts occurring at lower temperatures. N.B if an mot tester can't read the digital odo, you could have problems!

Here are some resources, no recommends but at least you get a good idea of what a repair involves:

But the problem is not on LCD panel, it is on the ribbon cable runs from motherboard to FIS screen LCD panel. For some reason VW/Audi put the driver chip on the cable which will develop some bad connections overtime as the cable flexes with heat causing expansion and contraction. Needless to say the design is so fragile and any attempts to fix the cable will be a failed attempt. Replacing the cable with super precise soldering equipment and skill is the only option.

Instrument cluster removal on a Passat:
Kind of a pain on the passats. You have to lower and pull back your steering column all the way. Remove the upper half of the column cover.
Remove the lower kick panel, 2 screws under fuse box cover, 2 screws facing the drivers seat.
Remove the accordian looking surround that covers the column / dash. 2 screws are on the bottom and are easy. 2 screws are on the top and much harder to reach.
Slide that back as far as you can, then you can get to the 2 screws on the bottom of the cluster that hold it in.
Remove those screws then reach your hand under the dash behind the cluster and push it out.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31020.0
http://www.pixelfix.net/eng/audi-vw-seat.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64hRG4-jouc

·
Registered
63 Posts
My Audi has a full MFD on it, it’s quite handy as a previous owner fitted an Audi RNS-E sat nat in it and it shows directions on the MFD as well as on the nav.

Thing is it loses pixels at the top of the screen in hot weather, I always guessed it was the heat in the car affecting the ribbon contacts where they touch the top of the board, I live it with it but if I was going to get it done I would try this lot for a quote.

http://www.bba-reman.com/gb/content/dashboard_instrumnet_cluster_range/

Seem to repair a lot of electronics in cars and even noticed on the site they repair hydraulic roof pumps

·
Registered
336 Posts
Last week when I went out for an evening drive the whole display dimmed to almost not seeing any figures to then back to normal every 5 to 10 seconds for the whole 45 minute drive. I thought it was curtains for it, but not done it since even though it has been as hot. :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts