Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I found these guys online
Was wondering if anyone as used this website ?
Sorry if this is in the wrong section

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
258 Posts
You peaked my interest so I went and created an account. First off, there is no FAQ, no way to determine what tool to use to upload tuning file to ECU and even going through the process of purchasing, they are asking many questions that a end user won't be able to answer. I have to assume that this company is setup to sell to tuning companies NOT an end user. On top of everything already mentioned, there are so instructions on their site explaining all of the options listed.

I will admit that for a stage 1 tune with a price of $85 euro, its reasonable but I have to assume also that some sort of programmer is needed so that would need to be factored into the cost.

Fired off a long list of questions to see if they respond.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
If it's a late Bosch Tri-core ECU I bet it will be a bench flash using Alientech or similar. Bench flash isn't for the inexperienced and you need to be brave enough to get the sealed ECU lid open first. To do ECU flash via OBDII you need dealer or cloned software tools which only use genuine V.W OE encrypted flash files. Unencrypted flash files manipulated with Winols are usually bench flash. An 07 ECU isn't tri-core and can accept an unencrypted binary file via OBD. Here's the key phrase:

With these tools, you will be able to copy the original engine maps from your vehicle and upload them to our tuning service. Once we have produced custom tuning files for you, you will be able to download them back to your vehicle. These tools make the process easy and simple.

The hard and expensive part is buying the software tools to do the read first and being sure you can write the modified file back to a Tri-core ECU. Just trying to read a tri-core ECU incorrectly can brick it.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
258 Posts
If it's a late Bosch Tri-core ECU I bet it will be a bench flash using Alientech or similar. Bench flash isn't for the inexperienced and you need to be brave enough to get the sealed ECU lid open first. To do ECU flash via OBDII you need dealer or cloned software tools which only use genuine V.W OE encrypted flash files. Unencrypted flash files manipulated with Winols are usually bench flash. An 07 ECU isn't tri-core and can accept an unencrypted binary file via OBD. Here's the key phrase:

With these tools, you will be able to copy the original engine maps from your vehicle and upload them to our tuning service. Once we have produced custom tuning files for you, you will be able to download them back to your vehicle. These tools make the process easy and simple.

The hard and expensive part is buying the software tools to do the read first and being sure you can write the modified file back to a Tri-core ECU. Just trying to read a tri-core ECU incorrectly can brick it.
The download of the original engine map isn't necessary in most cases. If the tuning company already has the engine map for that model vehicle and vehicle engine, they modify the file they already have. I believe the option is for vehicles/engines that are not already in their database. This is also localized to the Mychiptuning company, none of the other companies need your ECU file nor ask for it.

All of the major tuning companies I have contacted upload via ODBII, there is no removal of the ECU. Some even provide the ODBII tool to do the flash yourself (Integrated Engineering for example) for a nominal cost of $150. If we look at the MK7 Golf R, same is true, there is no bench flashing necessary, the DIY ODBII tuner option is GTG. Other companies require you to bring in your vehicle and they plug their system into your ODBII port for the tune to be uploaded (APR, United Motorsports etc.)

There was a point in time where the tri-core locked ECU's were a problem and required removal but we are way past that.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
If the tuning company already has the engine map for that model vehicle and vehicle engine, they modify the file they already have.
I hope that works for you because the ECU has personality data e.g immo codes, dpf data for diesels, odo data etc. I think the VIN is in there too. The only way they can keep the original data is by selectively writing back the mapping block, but then I think the CRC end of file code will need to be recalculated. The price of the tune file will be a lot less than the software tool to use it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also if I did go for the stage 1 on my 2008 2.0 tfsi
What is the max torque and BHP should I be looking at
As for mychiptuningfiles.com
There prices are not bad but I think I will save up and go with revo vendor
Just a question for the moderates it would be awesome if the was a ecu remapping section on the forum
Maybe members can work on and swap ecu files

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
It seems a good idea but the admins might be concerned that non OE tuning files from suspect sources critical to the running of an EOS were being used? There are many autotech. savvy people using WinOls working from their bedrooms and selling on their popup websites. There are even free access sites with hundreds of tuning files. You wouldn't be able to trust what was being hosted and swapped. Bona Fide firms with a good reputation for selling custom tune files will probably protect their products to use with matching software keys. People will then start trying to use ripped off copies of dongles and tuning software which carries a huge risks of corrupting their ECU.

If you want to experiment with that kind of thing at your own risk, then have a look at specific tuning forums like Digital Kaos and the Garage forums - plenty of dodgy files swapped there, judging by the lengths of some of the threads, what goes wrong and requests to recover blocked ECUs. You won't get any of the max torque after an ECU reflash if you turn on the key and nothing happens!

I experimented a little with bench reflash because that method writes direct to ECU memory using WinOls readable unencrypted binaries. However, I decided to get a used ECU with the same board version and that's what I play tunes with. Get a problem and I can revert back to the OE. Handy strategy if I am forced to use a Stealer who might overwrite a remapped ECU without asking.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
258 Posts
I hope that works for you because the ECU has personality data e.g immo codes, dpf data for diesels, odo data etc. I think the VIN is in there too. The only way they can keep the original data is by selectively writing back the mapping block, but then I think the CRC end of file code will need to be recalculated. The price of the tune file will be a lot less than the software tool to use it.
You can do a simple Google search for Volkswagen ECU engine tune. Thousands of owners have done ECU tunes, this isn't new technology. I personally don't know the intricacies of applying a tune directly to the vehicles ECU, but the companies such as APR, United Motorsports etc. do. If I were to take a stab at what they are doing, their method of tuning does not compromise or overwrite any of that personality data you mentioned, so its not like wiping a hard drive and reinstalling a OS, its more like they are over writing specific areas of the OS, keeping the personality data intact.

My personal experience is with ECU tuning my Kleemann supercharged CLK320, which involved using a Unichip piggy back ECU to make specific adjustments for high flow injectors, smaller SC pulley etc. In hind sight, it was really a waste of time and money. You either get it optimized for max power (and lose drivability) or you optimize it for drivability (and compromise max power). The Kleemann SC kit only netted about 80 rwhp, much less than they advertised and their configuration had everything running maxed out (100% duty cycle on the injectors). Fortunately I bought the car with the SC on it, its not worth the 7k they want for it, especially when you can just purchase a CLK55 which outperforms it in stock fashion.

I may go with a stage 1 tune on the VR6, but the APR tune is $300 which includes;

Features:
  • Horsepower - More horsepower throughout the whole rpm band
  • Torque - More torque throughout the whole rpm band
  • Program Switching - Change programs and access features with your cruise control stalk optional cost
  • APR Mobile - Change programs and access features with your smart device
  • Valet Mode – Neuters the vehicle, giving the driver minimal output
  • Anti-Theft – Password protects driving the vehicle
  • Security Lockout – Password protects program switching
  • Fault Code Erase – Resets ECU fault codes and adaption on the fly
  • Fuel Grades - Multiple octanes from which to choose
  • Acceleration - Accelerate faster with more power and reduced throttle lag
  • Brake Boosting - Left foot braking or brake boosting added
  • Speed Limiter - Go as fast as you want with the speed limiter out of the way
  • Rev Limiter - Increased redline for higher revving
  • Standing Limiter - Increased standing limiter for higher revving at idle
  • Rev Hang - Recalibrated engine braking assist to remove overrun hang
  • Economy - While cruising, or driving normally, your fuel economy may benefit from our optimized calibration
  • Direct Port Programming - Clean and easy install through the OBD II port without removing the ECU
  • Guarantee - 30 day money back guarantee
  • Free Updates - Get free updates for life
Crank HP increase is about 10, assuming everything is stock. Numbers would be higher with CAI and exhaust mods.

Not really worth it IMO. Personally, I really need to see before/after dyno runs to see what real world numbers would be. Next to impossible with a EOS though, so I have been on the hunt for R32 owners who have done similar ECU tunes. R32 owners seem to prefer the United Motorsports ECU and DSG tune.

·
Super Moderator
2,443 Posts
It seems a good idea but the admins might be concerned that non OE tuning files from suspect sources critical to the running of an EOS were being used? There are many autotech. savvy people using WinOls working from their bedrooms and selling on their popup websites. There are even free access sites with hundreds of tuning files. You wouldn't be able to trust what was being hosted and swapped. Bona Fide firms with a good reputation for selling custom tune files will probably protect their products to use with matching software keys. People will then start trying to use ripped off copies of dongles and tuning software which carries a huge risks of corrupting their ECU.

If you want to experiment with that kind of thing at your own risk, then have a look at specific tuning forums like Digital Kaos and the Garage forums - plenty of dodgy files swapped there, judging by the lengths of some of the threads, what goes wrong and requests to recover blocked ECUs. You won't get any of the max torque after an ECU reflash if you turn on the key and nothing happens!

I experimented a little with bench reflash because that method writes direct to ECU memory using WinOls readable unencrypted binaries. However, I decided to get a used ECU with the same board version and that's what I play tunes with. Get a problem and I can revert back to the OE. Handy strategy if I am forced to use a Stealer who might overwrite a remapped ECU without asking.
Vox,

You have "hit the nail on the head" regarding the inherent problems with providing tuning files on this website and I would certainly not be in favour of having these files hosted on this forum with regard to both legal liability and also liability for failures associated with rogue/pirated software.

I strongly and inequivalently advocate any one contemplating installing tuning files only obtain these from legitimate business sources who can provide "bug-free" conversions and after-sale warranty protection if future problems are encountered.

"The quality is always remembered after the price is forgotten" always applies to products/services from after-market suppliers especially those who do not have a physical presence in your home country to provide after-sales support.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
It's been a while since I looked at Alientech, but I think many of their tuning files are dyno tested on VAG engines, although maybe not EOS specific, which isn't an issue? Advertising feature lists are great as long as they work the first time you turn the key and you know what to do if nothing happens.

Diesels are tricky because it's easy to get infinite horsepower, but that carries the risk of dpf clog if still fitted and a legal requirement. An important part of tuning must consider emissions components, their performance after a tune and reduced life if they are still there. In U.K we have emissions inspection and testing for diesels and gas engines. If a car fails the tests or the DPF/CAT has been removed, it's illegal and off the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts