Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2007 VW EOS 2.0TDI
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 2007 VW Eos with an issue. The car is a 2007 2.0 turbo diesel Eos.
I am really trying to look for this part to replace and can't find any information at all, the steel pipe has split causing coolant to leak everywhere while the car is running.
White Product World Organism Font

I apologise for the poor image however it is the only one I can find.

The middle steel line has split and I can't find the name of the part, searching everywhere on Google yields nothing valuable. If anyone knows the part number or has any good advice please let me know 馃檪

Administrator
Hello everyone, I have a 2007 VW Eos with an issue. The car is a 2007 2.0 turbo diesel Eos.
I am really trying to look for this part to replace and can't find any information at all, the steel pipe has split causing coolant to leak everywhere while the car is running. View attachment 24489
I apologise for the poor image however it is the only one I can find.

The middle steel line has split and I can't find the name of the part, searching everywhere on Google yields nothing valuable. If anyone knows the part number or has any good advice please let me know 馃檪
I suspect this part most likely failed from metal fatigue induced by engine vibration and/or internal pressure variations.

I have had similar fatigue cracking and corrosion problems with high pressure [2000psi] steel brake lines on a Rolls-Royce Corniche which were resolved by replacing the original steel brake lines with 90-10 Copper Nickel tubing and fittings.

90-10 Copper Nickel tube. pipe and fittings are readily available in most countries and the price is affordable. The tube is easy to manually bend by hand and an Australian supplier is as below:

https://www.australwright.com.au/technical-data/advice/copper-brass/copper-nickel-alloys/

If you need to know more, please message me through this forum :).

Registered
The middle steel line has split
This isn't a part to take chances with because they look like the high pressure diesel fuel lines feeding the injectors? Injection pressure for DI diesel engines is usually about 1800-2000 BAR That isn't PSI!!. The equivalent PSI is up to 30,000 psi! If it has split you should with knowledge of diesel engines, check the fuel rail/HP pump pressure looking for an over pressure problem? The fuel line assembly is usually isolated from engine vibration by a rubber hose connection and rubber clamps? Any forwards and back engine movement causing these lines to fracture may be due to a faulty or worn engine mounting? If they are the injector leak back lines, then the pressures are closer to zero atmospheric, but diesel spillage causing a fire under the hood remains a risk.

There's an assembly part called 'fuel pipe', part 03G 130 308 N. but it's down to you to determine if that's correct or not? You may find a used Golf V Tdi engine part is compatible. Stay safe and don't set your EOS TDi on fire with diesel fuel pouring on the hot exhaust manifold and dpf!

Administrator
This isn't a part to take chances with because they look like the high pressure diesel fuel lines feeding the injectors? Injection pressure for DI diesel engines is usually about 1800-2000 BAR That isn't PSI!!. The equivalent PSI is up to 30,000 psi! If it has split you should with knowledge of diesel engines, check the fuel rail/HP pump pressure looking for an over pressure problem? The fuel line assembly is usually isolated from engine vibration by a rubber hose connection and rubber clamps? Any forwards and back engine movement causing these lines to fracture may be due to a faulty or worn engine mounting? If they are the injector leak back lines, then the pressures are closer to zero atmospheric, but diesel spillage causing a fire under the hood remains a risk.

There's an assembly part called 'fuel pipe', part 03G 130 308 N. but it's down to you to determine if that's correct or not? You may find a used Golf V Tdi engine part is compatible. Stay safe and don't set your EOS TDi on fire with diesel fuel pouring on the hot exhaust manifold and dpf!
Vox,

The longitudinal cracking reported is most likely a pressure-induced crack from cyclic pressure fluctuations in the fuel line leading to work-hardening of the parent metal together with the presence of an internal defect in the metal pipe that acted as a stress-concentrator to initiate the subsequent longitudinal crack.

30,000psi corresponds to a tensile strength of 13.3 tons per square inch limit which is well within the safe working limit of mild steel tubing which has a yield stress in excess of 18 tons per square inch.

90/10 Copper Nickel tube may or may not be a suitable alternative based on yield strength which varies with the degree of work hardening during fabrication however its Ultimate Tensile Strength is in the range 275/310Mpa [40,000/45,000psi] which is comfortably above the fuel injection pressure you quoted of 30,000psi. This alloy has good formability which would be a benefit when bending.

Registered

Sure this is high pressure? Diagram indicates it is attached using hose clamps, don't think a 30,000 PSI pipe would be attached that way.

Reactions: Ron X

Registered
Yes I said looking at it you can tell if it's the high pressure connection to the injector or the low pressure leak back return. Fuel returning from a faulty diesel fuel injector can still be at high pressure. I had a problem with leak back connections recently and after just a few miles with a broken connection, the engine bay was can be covered in diesel fuel with smoke coming out of the hood! I bought a set of short steel connector lines for a later Tdi to do some fuel injector testing. Though not for this BMM engine, the lines from a Golf engine were the same profile.

Registered
I've never worked in parts but learned how to use ETKA and it's described as Part 13 'Fuel Pipe' used for fuel feed return. IMHO they are taking the injector leak back and cooling fuel before it gets back to the tank. Check out part 03G 130 308 N against the year VIN. Post #3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts