Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I’ll stick with my RNS 510 until I get something with Apple CarPlay, it’s a feature I just love on my 18 plate Tiguan with the Discovery Media unit.

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
I’ll stick with my RNS 510 until I get something with Apple CarPlay, it’s a feature I just love on my 18 plate Tiguan with the Discovery Media unit.

Mick

Oh that's right you are the Apple (aka evil empire) man:rolleyes:

Each to his/her own Mick.

Cheers Tony.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Oh that's right you are the Apple (aka evil empire) man:rolleyes:

Each to his/her own Mick.

Cheers Tony.

Yes the dark side of the apple force is with me Luke lol .

Mick

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Tony the Nav directions only work on the white MFD clusters 2010 onwards.
My RNS510 shows nav directions on my 2007 red MFD.

Would be nice if it automatically switched to the nav display when you’re coming up to a junction, then back to whatever it was showing before once you’ve cleared it, but you can’t have everything!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
My RNS510 shows nav directions on my 2007 red MFD.

Would be nice if it automatically switched to the nav display when you’re coming up to a junction, then back to whatever it was showing before once you’ve cleared it, but you can’t have everything!

I couldn’t agree more but how much would that system cost.

Mick

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think I have just found the ideal system for my EOS lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUc7nNLIm-o

Mick

Nice-I particularly like the trailer parking assist system, I still am half owner of a leisure trailer company in Perth, and some of the sights I've seen with mangled rear ends and trailers where the owners were totally clueless reversing their trailers would make me weep.
Tony

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I don't see why the positioning of connectors, fixed or floating should have any bearing on the choice of units, if they all connect the same way, so what?:confused:
Tony, it's not a huge deal, but it does give the possibility of one more potential break in the wiring.

I took a risk on the Erisin ES7818v. I compromised my much desired volume knob in hope that the rest of the unit will be solid. Check out the back of the unit. Hopefully, the PX5 is mounted to all of that alloy. If so I imagine overheating (crashing) shouldn't be an issue. I'll try to update this thread in about a month (the time I expect it will take for me to get the unit, and ample user experience out of it).

https://www.erisin.com/erisin-es7818v-9-android-80-car-stereo-gps-sat-navi-dab-4g-tpms-wifi-canbus-system_p1057.html

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I realize it's a risk, but I do have a certain level of buyer protection through eBay/PayPal. I speculate a major problem with all of these Chinese brand units is a lack of adequate cooling for the CPU. I've only chosen this model Erisin because of it's abnormal design, and in hope that the larger alloy case will provide superior cooling in comparison to other units...time will tell. I just hope your get the unit at this point, as the Chinese seller on eBay has very few transactions.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Tony, it's not a huge deal, but it does give the possibility of one more potential break in the wiring.

I took a risk on the Erisin ES7818v. I compromised my much desired volume knob in hope that the rest of the unit will be solid. Check out the back of the unit. Hopefully, the PX5 is mounted to all of that alloy. If so I imagine overheating (crashing) shouldn't be an issue. I'll try to update this thread in about a month (the time I expect it will take for me to get the unit, and ample user experience out of it).

https://www.erisin.com/erisin-es7818v-9-android-80-car-stereo-gps-sat-navi-dab-4g-tpms-wifi-canbus-system_p1057.html

Rick-
Good luck with the unit-I hope it does all you need/expect.
I particularly like the 45mm depth of the unit-that gives you more room at the rear for cables etc, as well as leaving room for more air circulation.:) My unit is basically just a big empty box, yours has obviously turned the mainboard to a vertical position.

One thing that occurs to me, if both the audio output chip and the CPU are mounted on that rear plate, it is going to get very warm indeed. You may need some secondary cooling system in the back of the din well.:(

I'd like to know how in actual real-world use you find having no volume knob, I know that there is a mute on the steering wheel, but muscle memory is a very powerful force, and I think I'd have trouble retraining my muscle memory after 50 years of driving with a physical one to grab. I'd be very interested to learn how you find it works out for you.

As a PX5 unit, you should be able to access the mods made primarily for the Joying units and tweak yours according to your needs. The first thing I do with any Android unit it to root it and tweak it to death.:D

Looking forward to hearing your reports:cool:.

Cheers, Tony

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi guys ,well I took the plunge tonight and bought a head unit.it's a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX on sale. here is the link.after the promo coupon it was $351.49 us with free shipping.sold by Drive-In Autosound for Newegg they are an authorized Pioneer dealer.

https://flash.newegg.com/product/9SIACPN5B26943

I hope it does all you can expect of it and more. Don't be too concerned it's only 800x600 resolution-that will just make it easier to read the fonts. I really don't know why Pioneer trumpets flac playback, both the Pumpkin and Joying units have no trouble playing them back for me....

Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i looked at the unit here in Toronto and the screen looks great the reviews are super at XDA and on the net.. done deal! I was very skeptical of offshore units and the bad reviews and dead after 2 year problem with having to ship to china for rem from Canada expense...the sound quality is great and with a lot of new apps coming out for android auto and waze working I'm all set.hope someone else can grab this great deal i will give an update..Scott

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
After nearly a year's use I'm pleased. I mainly use the volume buttons on my phone as that's the main source of my media.

I did install a CPU fan to the heat fins on the back of the unit, as well as plumb the glove box's HVAC duct to the back of the unit for additional cooling.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts