Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, y'all have been so much help to me this far, I thought I would keep the party going by coming up with new issues on my 2010 Eos Komfort!!

The wife drove the car, and told me that the radio didn't shut off when she took the key out, and stayed on when she got out of the car. She got back in and turned the power off to the radio, but as you can guess, the battery was dead the next morning.

Is there a relay that I should check, or would it most likely be the sensor that recognizes the key in the ignition? I noticed this morning that the FOB wouldn't work, but I thought maybe that was because the battery was dead.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did you replace the OEM radio with an after-market headend? They are notorious for not working properly with the CanBus interface to turn off properly
Are the interior lights set to "on", not auto
etc
Please provide more info.
Yes, charge the battery and get the keyfob working as a first step

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Original battery, which I of course didn't have a security code for. Lights seem to function correctly. After charging the battery, and disconnecting the stereo (partly just to get the SN to get a code), EVERYTHING seems to be perfect. I also ordered an OBDELEVEN which is arriving in a couple of days, so I hope that will help tell me what's going on. As far as I know, everything on the car is stock. The only thing I even did that day was disconnected the bluetooth module under the seat, and then reconnected it, trying to get the BT to respond...with no success. Hoping the OBD tool helps with that also. Your time is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
749 Posts
Did you replace the OEM radio with an after-market headend? They are notorious for not working properly with the CanBus interface to turn off properly
etc
The interior lights are on a timer, whether or not they are left on or not, they will only stay on for about 10 minutes and then shutdown. All of the electronics BTW work this way, everything except the alarm, which is not on a timer. I believe the trunk light stays on the longest out of everything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
etc
Sorry, I meant original radio.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I got the security code, and the OBDEleven. The canbus system is showing a code about the infotainment system, but the radio system shows that it's not communicating at all. Any idea??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, my MacGyver fix was to replace the fuse in the back of the radio head unit with 2 wires with an inline fuse, and a kill switch inside the cabin. It's not a fix, but it helps not have a dead battery every morning. I know the problem is in the canbus, potentially the gateway under the steering column, but I have no idea how to re-program if I get a new module put in.

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
These aftermarket Android system radios can work in different ways. Unless you have the original installation and wiring instructions it's hard to work out when you are in the dark. Most of them have a simple basic mode of operation requiring just 3 wires - A ground, A permanent +12V, and an ignition switched +12V wire. In this simple connection mode the radio should turn on and off with ignition and there's no Canbus involved. That should be good for most with least risk of battery drain.

If you want the whistles and bells of a reversing screen image, door open graphics, speed linked volume, steering wheel buttons and able to use the radio with the ignition off but key in, then you need CANbus control. This is done using either a built in CANbus controller for V.W car models or as a seperate external dongle module wired to the radio. The CANbus decoder needs to be told to use V.W CAN commands and this is usually done in the radio setup menu somewhere. Your Gateway should work with a genuine OE radio and the commands it needs and I would look first at the Chinese Canbus interface and how it is setup, or go to basic 3 wire operation.

Of course there's always the possibility your radio has a fault keeping it on? The problem with your MacGyver fix is most of these radios have presets for personalised station tuning which may get lost when power is disconnected?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the input, but nothing about my car is aftermarket or third party. All stock, original components. I think it is a canbus gateway error, because the buttons on the steering wheel won't work the radio controls, but will work for the dashboard messages.

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
In that case the radio CANbus controller is integral with the radio and you won't be able to do much with that. Do you have a steering clock spring problem? VCDS can access V.W radio test routines on OE radios, although I'm not sure about steering button presses? Have a look at radio control module 56 in diagnostics. Maybe there are already some error codes waiting for you?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my OBDEleven says there is no communication to the radio, and there is an infotainment fault code. I believe that the canbus gateway by the steering column might be the issue, but I am not skilled enough to test it, or to do anything about it even if I knew for sure. I think the problem really started when I disconnected the bluetooth module and re-connected it. I think the gateway, or potentially the auxillary input module in the console is causing a lack of communication with the canbus system. The clockspring was replaced about a week before any of these problems, and all steering wheel buttons worked then. There are no airbag warnings, the horn works, and some of the buttons work, so I don't think it would be clockspring related.

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
AFIK the infotainment CANbus bus is just that and isn't just a connection between 2 modules, but you can check that on a wiring diagram. You can also probe the radio CANbus connector looking for the correct dc voltages and any data activity. Diagnostics pings each module for an answer at key on and if it doesn't get one, it usually faults as no communication and has nothing to do with buttons which are normally off unless faulty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts