Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just wanted to tell you about my new headunit replacement. I had basic runs 310 without anything so first thing was to find something with BT, Nav and other misc. I chose chinese RCD330 app plus with CarPlay (this was essential for me). Its really cool to have connected iPhone with everything on the big screen. BT works flawlessly, CarPlay also so i can listen do spotify, podcasts, have navigation via maps or to talk to Siri and ask her stupid questions ;). I really recommend this unit , it costs about 150 euro, fits flawlessly into dashboard. I plan to add rear camera to it inn ear future. Oh and most important sound is quite good, even better than basic rns310.
One thing: I knew that 2008 EOS could have old gateway and probably i had to replace it but i gave it a shot and just connected new unit without checking it - i only knew that EOS is from 05/2008. Today car started normally, so i suppose there is no battery drain? The unit shows temperature and clock from car's dash , lights up when EOS'es lights are on and when i turn off engine it also shuts down. So i suppose there is can communication and i don't have to worry?
https://zapodaj.net/5ea67ff7ced85.jpg.html

·
Registered
757 Posts
I took a look into this at one point, and I discovered lots of people have different views on which CAN gateways work and how quickly the battery drains. I’m not sure one night would necessarily be enough to be sure that you don’t have problems with battery drain.

If you have no battery problems over a longer period, it’d be interesting to know which CAN gateway you have.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Reespl, thanks for this review! I have an RNS 500 head unit currently and while I like everything about it, I REALLY would love to have CarPlay, mostly for Siri messaging and to run Spotify on screen. I always worry a bit when I see a price as low as what the RCD 330 sells for but if you're happy with it and you haven't noticed any reduction of sound quality, I'm sold.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I found it on Amazon and I'm thinking of buying it. Will the optical parking assist feature still work? I don't care about a camera. I actually prefer to the VW optical parking thing.

I currently have the RCD 510. Do you think it will sound different from what I have? I don't have NAV but I don't care about it as I use the WAZE app on iPhone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076V4FZFB/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Thanks,

Derek

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Aku -Aku i suppose we can talk in Polish, yeah :) ?
Anyway after 3 nights its still working and there's power so i suppose there's no battery drain? I shoot: it must be "L" gateway because i found some stickers near wheel, on the old radio, on the doors labeled range 2-5/2008 production. Than i checked old gateways sold on polish allegro ("eBay") and all "L" were produced early 2008.

D-Vancouver Glad to hear that you're sold :) Don't buy it from Amazon its much cheaper form Ali and there's chance that they will send it from EU warehouses.
Remember to buy rcd 330 app plus, Desay or Nonane with the buttons "phone" "app" "setup" on the right side of the screen (check my photo) and the letter "B" in the model. This is what i have
https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/Carplay-Noname-RCD330-Plus-6-5-MIB-Radio-For-Golf-5-6-Jetta-CC-Tiguan-Passat/32815705967.html?spm=a2g17.search0104.8.8.19a44205iiV2tc&priceBeautifyAB=0

Anyway i don't think i'n right person to tell you about mods in EOS cause i have this car for 2 months but after doing my research for headunit replacement i dug a lot of vw's forums and sometimes the OPS works on the screen, sometimes not. It depends from gateway / can bus controller. You can always add camera to this unit, im still thinking about it, but first i have to invest in new summer tires and rims...

·
Registered
757 Posts
@Aku -Aku i suppose we can talk in Polish, yeah :) ?
Well, you can try... I'm British, but I understand a reasonable amount of Polish and speak a little.

Anyway after 3 nights its still working and there's power so i suppose there's no battery drain? I shoot: it must be "L" gateway because i found some stickers near wheel, on the old radio, on the doors labeled range 2-5/2008 production. Than i checked old gateways sold on polish allegro ("eBay") and all "L" were produced early 2008.
That's good. When I looked into it, it seemed like cars from model year 2008 onwards should be OK. Mine's 2006 so I'd need the new gateway for sure, and it seems like it would need recoding. Have you invested in diagnostic tools yet? You can check the part number of the gateway with VCDS or a VAG code reader - www.viaken.pl sell one with Polish language support for 119zl.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Can you run Whatsapp on the RCD330? Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, you can try... I'm British, but I understand a reasonable amount of Polish and speak a little.
That's good. When I looked into it, it seemed like cars from model year 2008 onwards should be OK. Mine's 2006 so I'd need the new gateway for sure, and it seems like it would need recoding. Have you invested in diagnostic tools yet? You can check the part number of the gateway with VCDS or a VAG code reader - www.viaken.pl sell one with Polish language support for 119zl.

AAAA ok, sorry i thought that you're polish or something :)
Anyway i haven't invested in tools yet, should i? Not so expensive as i can see. Now i have to buy new tires and trims and that's gonna cost...

@D-Vancouver: i don't use WhatsApp but i've installed it and yes it supports CarPlay. You have to talk to Siri when you choose WhatsApp icon on the screen and compose new messages, after that Siri will ask which contact use. I think its simple and effective. Very similar to messages.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yes, diagnostic tools are probably one of the first things you should buy. When a light comes on on the dashboard or something stops working, it’s good to know what the problem is before you take the car to a mechanic.

Changing the head unit is one of the few things you can do without the need for coding, so you were quite lucky. And since you seem to like modifying the car to improve it, I should probably mention that there are plenty of configuration options for all aspects of the car that you can only get to with diagnostic tools - everything from choosing whether the doors lock when you set off to the sensitivity of the power steering ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. Just seeing this now. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I DID order it from Amazon and I did pay more. Too bad I didn't read this earlier. I could return it and re-order it but that would be a pain and the seller was very good in answering many of my questions. I assume the steering wheel controls continue to work? That's a must!

This is the one I ordered which appears to be the correct model based on what you said: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B076V4FZFB/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Kindly confirm.

Thanks again!

Derek

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thank you for that, reespl. That's good news since for me the main things I want to use with it are Whatsapp and Spotify. Of course I'll use maps and iMessage and other things too but I use Whatsapp and Spotify A LOT. I confirmed with the seller that the right model is on its way to me and it is. It's the 187B and the buttons are exactly as you say they should be. Really looking forward to having this unit. And I don't care about losing the multi-cd changer as I never listen to cd's anymore. Much appreciated!

Derek

PS What I really like about Whatsapp is that you can use it on desktop or laptop as well and text with a regular keyboard which is a nice option. If you ever decide to try it out you'll likely see that many of your existing contacts are already on it. It's also great to be able to exchange pics and video clips because you can view them in full screen on your computer as opposed to the tiny box available with Apple iMessaging.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Derek, that's the right unit. Cool that you could buy it form Amazon.
however one thing - there is no antenna adapter in your package. There's only AV Camera adapter, but VW's FM antenna have two outputs in the end of the cable and it should have another adapter that connects to this new unit. Something like this. I think you can buy it from Ebay or even Amazon:
https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/Auto-Radio-Antenna-Aerial-Adapter-For-VW-Seat-For-Skoda-Fakra-MFD3-RNS-RCD-510-310/32728854346.html?spm=a2g17.search0104.8.28.112e33cbC785zG&transAbTest=ae803_2&priceBeautifyAB=0

just buy it:

https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Aerial-Antenna-Adapter-Columbus/dp/B01EYDPUZI/ref=sr_1_27?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522676589&sr=1-27&keywords=antenna+adapter+fakra

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow, thank you. I've just bought it!

It annoys me that they would sell a unit that doesn't include everything that's needed.

This is very helpful.

Thanks again,

Derek

·
Registered
757 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah as i read "H" is too old. Some say that "K" is enough, others that minimum "L". I still don't know what i have (lucky shot) but no battery drain since swap.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah as i read "H" is too old. Some say that "K" is enough, others that minimum "L". I still don't know what i have (lucky shot) but no battery drain since swap.
I had the battery drain problem with my Chinese HU after fitting it. Joying sent me a new canbus adaptor and this fixed the problem. Easy way to tell, if you switch the engine off and leave the key in-situ the radio should continue for about 10-15 mins before switching off. If you remove the key, it should switch off immediately.

Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi reespl,

I've had the RCD330 head unit for a while but I've been waiting for the antenna part to arrive so that I can do the install. I just called my installer to book an appointment and he asked me if the supplier of the head unit provided me with a 5 digit code. According to him, when he connects it he'll need to plug in a 5-digit code for it to work. Nothing came with the unit so I've just sent the supplier an email.

Did you have to provide a code when you installed your RCD330?

Thanks,

Derek

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi reespl,

I have the head unit installation booked for May 2nd. I'll put up a post about it when it's done. I would have done it much sooner but the antenna took forever to get here. I finally have that as well.

I've also just bought this as was recommended by someone else who bought the RCD330: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DFH8FVK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems like a good idea so that you don't have cord hanging around all over the place. Keeps things tidy.

Cheers,

Derek

·
Registered
757 Posts
By some coincidence, I just happened upon a similar item for those with the patience to wait for it to turn up from China (and gamble on quality, as is par for the course) - if you're quick you can get one for under $1, and at that price you might as well get a couple: https://www.joybuy.com/600121234.html

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow, can't get much cheaper than that!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts