Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,
I just purchased a 2008 EOS v6 w/26K miles. Original miles / one owner.
I really like this car and hope it will give me years of enjoyment.
Any input of maintenance and upkeep is greatly appreciated.

I do have a rattle in the back right hand side, sounds like it is coming from the top.

I had to jump it the other night when I was using battery power and changing the settings on the radio system.

Was knocked into next week at the cost of 2 6v batteries..... Does anyone advise buying batteries online and having them coded by my independent mechanic?

Thanks. JB

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I don't have your V6 but there are posts here (search) about those batteries. Of course being rather non-standard they will be more expensive and harder to find at a cheap price. I learn something every day, but wasn't aware the batteries were specially coded?

Jumping these cars is more likely to bring on electrical problems, random faults and leave the diagnostics with stored error codes which would need to be cleared.

Unless I was in a dire situation with a flat battery, I would always disconnect the ground lead then put it on a charger, even if it took a few hours. I had to do this once and in a moment of creative thinking whilst away, found a 15 volt 2 amp flat screen TV power supply which put enough charge in a flat battery overnight to start my car next morning. :)

If you want to do jump starts, keep a battery terminal wrench in your tool kit, disconnect your ground terminal and use the jump leads with the other car running to get some charge into your battery for 10 minutes or so. Then re-connect the ground lead. Throughout all of this, leave the driver window lowered and avoid leaving keys in the ignition, because the locks sometimes come on. :(

It might be worth charging those batteries first with a bench charger, have them load tested, fit them and check for any large discharge drain. Others like me have had issues fitting radios, changing CAN controllers then getting battery drain problems afterwards.

·
Registered
707 Posts
What I know is that there are yellow tops and red tops (and original, which seem the red tops - I think). The yellow tops are still expensive, but the others are outragious. And they all perform well!
There is nothing to code, just exchange. Maybe you have a small 12 v unit, so that you keep radio codes, window settings etc. Just connect that in parallel before disconnecting the batteries. And do not start the engine in between:rolleyes:

So, it must be the other way arround, see next post!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome to the VR6 club!! :- )

You DO NOT need the VW specified batteries. The regular red top (non-deep cycle) will be just fine. I wondered, too, and finally pulled the trigger and went with the (much) less expensive red tops.

I bought them on Amazon. Free shipping (on batteries! Go figure!) and I took my old ones to the parts store and got $5 coupon for recycling them.

After swapping batteries (You'll need a hex set to remove the protective covers and a metric socket to remove the cables), you will want to reset your windows by running them up and down a few times so they re-learn their "park" locations. You may also have to drive straight forward for 10-20 feet so the steering angle sensor can re-learn/calibrate its position, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts