Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Happy to say I am a new Eos owner and am loving it thus far. I purchased used. It has 132000 miles. Wondering what are the best liquids (oil/transmission fluid/coolant/etc) to get to keep her running great! Also any suggestions on what to look out for or have repaired right away would be great! Thanks all! It is a 2008 Eos 2.0T manual transmission.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
The 'best' fluids are those recommended by V.W with their specs, which is what should have been used if the car was serviced by V.W? But it's not just what fluids are used, but how often they get changed.

·
Life is good... so far
1,056 Posts
If you don't know what services have been done, changing the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner might be a good idea. VW suggests the belt be done at 120,000 miles. The pump and tensioner should be done at the same time. I know the thread is about fluids, but as a new owner this is something else to be aware of.

Reactions: elgreco380

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
VW suggests the belt be done at 120,000 miles.
MY07 Tdi is 60K! V.W have different intervals and the only way to be sure is to check your VIN at the dealer. In fact with a new to you car, it's worth checking if they have any service history or recalls, particularly on the cam belt. Belt change mileage has always puzzled me because either they have better longer lasting poly belts or longer life (120k?) has something to do with specific engines. Or else they never retrospectively revise a cam belt change mileage upwards on an older vehicle in case people with an original design belt don't change them?

Cam chains are a different issue because of problems and iterative solutions for their tensioners. On V.W chains I think you are more likely to be cautious of the tensioner than worry if the chain has stretched a little?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all! Happy to say I am a new Eos owner and am loving it thus far. I purchased used. It has 132000 miles. Wondering what are the best liquids (oil/transmission fluid/coolant/etc) to get to keep her running great! Also any suggestions on what to look out for or have repaired right away would be great! Thanks all! It is a 2008 Eos 2.0T manual transmission.
I follow the recommendations in the manual and usually have maintenance done at the dealer

·
Life is good... so far
1,056 Posts
If you are lucky enough to have the owner's manual package, it should include a maintenance booklet which in my case is numbered 1.1. It only covers out to 120,000 miles and covers all models made that year. So you have to read it carefully. In my booklet they only mention a TFSI 2.0 belt change at 120,000 miles. I have the FSI which I would guess is the same. There is no time limits mentioned for anything other than brake fluid change and maybe coolant change.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
There is no time limits mentioned for anything other than brake fluid change and maybe coolant change.
That's strange because some years ago after buying my used Tdi I got a V.W reminder letter when it reached its 4th birthday. I never got any more because I've done them myself and they don't have a continuous history anymore. Many workshops who replace a belt often send out the reminder based on years to get more business. One thing that always annoys me is workshops don't seem to mark the engine with the date of a cambelt change. I always paint it on the cambelt cover.

Andy, next time you are near a dealer give them your VIN number and see if they recommend the 4-5 years? When the owner manuals were produced most drivers were averaging up to 20k a year and mileage was their indicator for a belt change. But cars like cabriolets don't always do this mileage, mine certainly doesn't now. I make a judgement on changing a belt but not the roller bearing and water pump due to my low annual mileage.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you are lucky enough to have the owner's manual package, it should include a maintenance booklet which in my case is numbered 1.1. It only covers out to 120,000 miles and covers all models made that year. So you have to read it carefully. In my booklet they only mention a TFSI 2.0 belt change at 120,000 miles. I have the FSI which I would guess is the same. There is no time limits mentioned for anything other than brake fluid change and maybe coolant change.
Sounds about right - oil is done from the variable service indicator; most jobs are mileage, not age based. The book contains all the info here so I won't repeat it. Some things are based on condition (you'd check them at an inspection interval).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts