Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new poster here so please be gentle.
Bought an Eos a while ago with a strange engine noise, been trying to find the source but it’s beginning to defeat me, its a BMM 2.0tdi 2007 with around 111000 miles, the noise is, how to explain, kind of a “dugga dugga dugga” it sounds like an induction issue rather than engine rattle, there’s NO mil light, NO inactive codes, pulls really well albeit a little under powered and slightly lower mpg but otherwise ok, and on startup it’s notchey, ie turns over fine, and doesn’t take long at all to start (3-4 turns and it’s running) but sounds like something’s not right just before it starts,
Because of this I checked the timing belt, all good, about half a tooth out, no worries there, set 100% correct, starts a little easier but still not quite right.

Replaced fuel and air filters, looks like they’d been done recently but hey-ho (going to oil and filter today) no difference,

Checked turbo, no end-float, spools up fine on run, nice and tight when stopped.
So that’s all good.

Last week I had the whole Climatic unit out (swapped for a Climatronic, but that’s another story) whilst out there’s a huge hole in the bulkhead so I could inspect all the dpf/backside of turbo and all associated pipework, all looked good, no cracked or loose pipes, tiny bit of soot around the egr gate but nothing untoward at all.

Whilst checking the turbo, with engine running and main air box out if I squeeze down on the pipe boost side of the turbo the noise virtually stops, hence my thoughts on it being induction related,

So it makes the noise constantly, “dugga dugga dugga” and when you drive it’s very noticeable too, as you speed up it sounds more like a scooby going down the road, but no real loss of power as I said so fairly certain it’s not dropped a valve or anything, NO smoke AT ALL, and if you Rev it hard whilst stationary it sounds horrid, I’m wondering if there’s any possibility it’s the tandem pump, all though most reports say about the trouble starting when this fails due to draw back but I don’t have this issue, noisy starting yes (not starter motor), but lazy NO,

Just to fill in, I’m an autospark with a very good background in mechanical too, and don’t usually get this stumped, but I’m open to any suggestions the collective can offer.

Thanks in advance
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine did the same thing. The hydraulic lifters disintegrate in BMM engines. Mine fell apart and cut a groove in the cam lobe. It’s apparently common in the BMM engine. Pull off the cam cover and have a look. Mine made chuff chuff noises. Most mechanics I took it to thought it was an injector. I had to have the head rebuilt new cam, lifters, bearings, had the timing belt and water pump done at the same time .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine sounded like induction as it was an exhaust lifter that went, so the compression stroke etc was fine but the exhaust valve was not opening so the compression gases had nowhere to go until the intake valve opens again and hence the chuff chuff noises. Compression blowing backwards through the inlet . I would bet money yours is the same problem.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Last week I had the whole Climatic unit out (swapped for a Climatronic, but that’s another story) whilst out there’s a huge hole in the bulkhead so I could inspect all the dpf/backside of turbo and all associated pipework, all looked good, no cracked or loose pipes, tiny bit of soot around the egr gate but nothing untoward at all.
I've often wondered if there was a way to get to the backside of these engines and the dpf. It sounds like it was a huge amount of work? You say there's a huge hole in the bulkhead, was this a removeable cover plate?

You could eyeball the cams as suggested, but for something as important as that with risk of serious engine damage I would also do a compression test on each cylinder. You'd need the high comp. diesel version with adaptor for your injector size. If you have a blown piston or rings, that should show up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Hi everyone, new poster here so please be gentle.
Bought an Eos a while ago with a strange engine noise, been trying to find the source but it’s beginning to defeat me, its a BMM 2.0tdi 2007 with around 111000 miles, the noise is, how to explain, kind of a “dugga dugga dugga” it sounds like an induction issue rather than engine rattle, there’s NO mil light, NO inactive codes, pulls really well albeit a little under powered and slightly lower mpg but otherwise ok, and on startup it’s notchey, ie turns over fine, and doesn’t take long at all to start (3-4 turns and it’s running) but sounds like something’s not right just before it starts,
Because of this I checked the timing belt, all good, about half a tooth out, no worries there, set 100% correct, starts a little easier but still not quite right.

Replaced fuel and air filters, looks like they’d been done recently but hey-ho (going to oil and filter today) no difference,

Checked turbo, no end-float, spools up fine on run, nice and tight when stopped.
So that’s all good.

Whilst checking the turbo, with engine running and main air box out if I squeeze down on the pipe boost side of the turbo the noise virtually stops, hence my thoughts on it being induction related,

So it makes the noise constantly, “dugga dugga dugga” and when you drive it’s very noticeable too, as you speed up it sounds more like a scooby going down the road, but no real loss of power as I said so fairly certain it’s not dropped a valve or anything, NO smoke AT ALL, and if you Rev it hard whilst stationary it sounds horrid, I’m wondering if there’s any possibility it’s the tandem pump, all though most reports say about the trouble starting when this fails due to draw back but I don’t have this issue, noisy starting yes (not starter motor), but lazy NO,

Just to fill in, I’m an autospark with a very good background in mechanical too, and don’t usually get this stumped, but I’m open to any suggestions the collective can offer.

Thanks in advance
Dave
Interesting that you swapped out the HVAC unit did you go for a dual climate system and if so what unit did you use ie. Golf or EOS unit, are you sure its not the DMF as they can also be noisy on when the starter engages but they do tend to sound more like a deep rattle.

Mick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts