Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title, i am having lots of problems with leaks and condensation, water seems to be leaking in around the top of passenger side A pillar, i stripped it down as shown in a post on here and found the seal had split on the drain pipe where it joins the end of the drain pipe, so repaired it with silicon, once dry i checked that there were no blockages by pouring water in and it drained out perfectly.

I waited a few days and the next time it rained it was still leaking at the top of the A pillar :( so next dry day i treated all the seals with Krytox, parked it up on the drive and went on holiday for 2 weeks lol.

Just got back and there has been a lot of rain in the UK so went to check and it's still leaking :( so i'm at a dead loss what to try next, though i will double check my repair when it finally stops raining.

Any other input welcomed, or anyone close to me (Stockport) could help out please?

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Did you do the fix I posted with hose connectors and silicone tube, or just tried to seal the leak with silicone sealer goo?

Did you go over the car afterwards with a hose, which would have told you if the leak was coming from somewhere else? If the roof and sunroof seals are doing their job, no water should go through the 'A' pillar drains you just repaired.

If your driveway slopes and you park down hill, water will pass over the sunroof and seals most likely to leak. If you park the other way it will give you time to investigate further when the weather improves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for replying, i didn't do your fix, but i did do the silicone fix, and checked that the drain hoses were clear and they were, poured water in and it came out underneath the car.

I was going on holiday the next day and on my return i noticed it was leaking further back now, at the join where the roof meets the A pillar, and the drivers side carpet was saturated, also it leaks worse now than before the fix when it was just a drip lol.

I've had the roof open again and Krytoxed the nipple at the end of the roof which connects to the A pillar drain, and re-cleaned the sunroof seals and also Krytoxed them again.

It's going to rain soon, (Stockport UK) so will see if it's made any difference.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
i didn't do your fix, but i did do the silicone fix
That's what I suspected. I know everybody wants to jump in and help but that fix has no guarantee of staying fixed. It may seem o.k for now, but in Summer the 'A' pillars at the top get extremely hot, which is why the VW OE plastic got deformed in the first place. If you want to fix things with silicone goo and insulating tape, you can only regard the fix as temporary and who really wants to repeat a job more than once? When I share a fix with the Club, I ask myself: ' Is this the design or quality standard I might expect from V.W'?

The only places where I've found silicone goo better than V.W is where they use useless holt melt adhesives that come unstuck e.g inside door cards and in small amounts over dry and degreased overlapping seal joins that have a small leak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I suspected. I know everybody wants to jump in and help but that fix has no guarantee of staying fixed. It may seem o.k for now, but in Summer the 'A' pillars at the top get extremely hot, which is why the VW OE plastic got deformed in the first place. If you want to fix things with silicone goo and insulating tape, you can only regard the fix as temporary and who really wants to repeat a job more than once? When I share a fix with the Club, I ask myself: ' Is this the design or quality standard I might expect from V.W'?

The only places where I've found silicone goo better than V.W is where they use useless holt melt adhesives that come unstuck e.g inside door cards and in small amounts over dry and degreased overlapping seal joins that have a small leak.
Looks like i'm going to do your fix as it does seem 100% better thanks.

Any idea as to why/how the leak moved further back, and got worse after my initial fix?

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The leaking roof is now the least of my problems as yesterday i had a roof failure.

I had lowered the roof with intention of doing Vox's A pillar fix, but had to stop due to the weather, when i came to put the roof back up it got to the part where the sunroof closes and it started making a noise similar to a ratchet, which i presume was the cog/gear failing, and then nothing.

I had to close the sunroof manually and i have now got it booked in to a garage who says he has experience of repairing EOS roofs, and await his quote.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update on this, my faulty EOS sunroof has now been repaired,

Invoice says

Diagnostic on roof.
Replace sunroof motor.
Free off siezed roof panel and glass.
Test and check operation.

£350 including VAT.

I also paid to have the roof serviced which was £100 including VAT.

So £450 in total, i'm hoping it will be fine now :D

Work was done by VAG Bolton, they specialize in EOS roof repairs.

·
Super Moderator
2,232 Posts
Make sure you lubricate all seals with Krytox GPL105 twice a year at least preferably in early Spring and Autumn on a warm day to keep them matt black, soft and supple so they can perform their key function of preventing water leaks and wind noise.

If the seals are matt black, soft and supple all is well; if they are grey and hard then wind noise/water leak problems are inevitable.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Quick update on this, my faulty EOS sunroof has now been repaired,

Invoice says

Diagnostic on roof.
Replace sunroof motor.
Free off siezed roof panel and glass.
Test and check operation.

£350 including VAT.

I also paid to have the roof serviced which was £100 including VAT.

So £450 in total, i'm hoping it will be fine now :D

Work was done by VAG Bolton, they specialize in EOS roof repairs.
I think that was a good price because a sunroof repair needs quite a lot of time spent. There have been several reported failures of the sunroof motor nylon gear. Whilst it is easy to point the finger at V.W for using a nylon gear, a lot of torque is required to pull the glass and shade across and I think the failure is accelerated by lack of lubrication on the sunroof slides and spiral bowden cable increasing forces on the motor gear? That is something to pay attention to during roof service.

I read somewhere that V.W were now supplying the replacement sunroof motor part with a metal gear, but I haven't yet confirmed this? Perhaps you could check this with VAG Bolton as well as their lubrication of the sunroof during your repair and give feedback?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that was a good price because a sunroof repair needs quite a lot of time spent. There have been several reported failures of the sunroof motor nylon gear. Whilst it is easy to point the finger at V.W for using a nylon gear, a lot of torque is required to pull the glass and shade across and I think the failure is accelerated by lack of lubrication on the sunroof slides and spiral bowden cable increasing forces on the motor gear? That is something to pay attention to during roof service.

I read somewhere that V.W were now supplying the replacement sunroof motor part with a metal gear, but I haven't yet confirmed this? Perhaps you could check this with VAG Bolton as well as their lubrication of the sunroof during your repair and give feedback?
I will check this out as soon as i get chance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts