Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

No car wash: no soap! just a wet chamois

9103 Views 19 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  archiea
I have now wiped down our EOS twice. Both times it had lots of dirt etc. I used a moist chamois to wipe off the dirt. Rinsed the Chamois and rewiped. The car sparkles. No soap, nothing. Just water and a clean chamois.

Obviously, if the car gets caked on dirt and such, more will be necessary. But since the car is small, the chamois is quick and easy and efficient.

I will not chamois the wheels. I will probably use wheel cleaner and see the results.

My 16 year old miata maintains a very nice luster based upon similar maintenance.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
I agree that the results can be good doing what you are doing. However, I do think there is a danger here in that most car shampoos have added wax to bond to the paint and the detergent acts as a lubricant to avoid the myriad of scratches that appear on the surface.

By just using a chamois you risk increasing the number of surface scratches. I think you said it yourself with your miata, 'has a nice luster'. Surely it should be a glossy, glass like finish.

Just my opinion anyway.
;)
I agree that the results can be good doing what you are doing. However, I do think there is a danger here in that most car shampoos have added wax to bond to the paint and the detergent acts as a lubricant to avoid the myriad of scratches that appear on the surface.

By just using a chamois you risk increasing the number of surface scratches. I think you said it yourself with your miata, 'has a nice luster'. Surely it should be a glossy, glass like finish.

Just my opinion anyway.
;)
What do I wash my Eos with then ??? bearing in mind I have never washed a car !!!!! Help !!!
What do I wash my Eos with then ??? bearing in mind I have never washed a car !!!!! Help !!!
As I said before - I find best is a big sponge with lots of soapy water - then rinse off with cold water - then dry off with a GOOD big (real) chamois leather.

If you try to remove the kind of gritty dirt from our roads without loads of soapy water first you will get millions of tiny scratches which will dull the appearance in time.

I agree with GOgg, you are risking surface scratches by washing the car with this method. Better to use a soap like Zaino's.
I was told the best solution is cheap shampoo as it has just the right ph balance which will not damage paint ??? ANd was told to be careful of tiny scratches caused by grime & dust on the car being wiped over with a sponge. so yes, lots of water & rinse sponge often
I know I am probably asking for it, but I am a sucker for charities and the schools and churches around here like to do "free" car washes in the parking lots for any donation. I have done it twice now and they seem to take extra care when it is a nice car. No swirl marks yet (knock on wood). I just tell them to watch the paint please and ring out the sponges.

Maybe I should let them do my bicycle instead?:eek:
I know I am probably asking for it, but I am a sucker for charities and the schools and churches around here like to do "free" car washes in the parking lots for any donation. I have done it twice now and they seem to take extra care when it is a nice car. No swirl marks yet (knock on wood). I just tell them to watch the paint please and ring out the sponges.

Maybe I should let them do my bicycle instead?:eek:
Nah ... you are good man Pepino .... even if your care were to suffer a minor consequence, you will feel better inside, where it counts! Happy "EDA's"!
I have used this system for quite a while now
http://www.freshliving.com/flashcarwash/home.htm

No need to chamois off at the end, meaning less chance of scratching and also it REALLY does leave it "water spot" and smear free. No good if you haven't got a hosepipe handy tho.
Some of the jet washes at garages have this option (spot free rinse) on them (i know morrisons does) but all it does is leave the residue from the ions on the car leaving white marks instead of water marks? as was the experience on a black car i used it on
Some of the jet washes at garages have this option (spot free rinse) on them (i know morrisons does) but all it does is leave the residue from the ions on the car leaving white marks instead of water marks? as was the experience on a black car i used it on
I can only speak from my experience, and the flash system is great in my opinion. Not a mark on the car once I've rinsed it with the ionised water. I've had people a couple of days after washing the car come up to me and ask what polish I use (had a black 4x4 before the Eos and the same happened with that car too.)
I do live in a soft water area, so no idea if using hard water may leave a residue?
As I said before - I find best is a big sponge with lots of soapy water - then rinse off with cold water - then dry off with a GOOD big (real) chamois leather.

If you try to remove the kind of gritty dirt from our roads without loads of soapy water first you will get millions of tiny scratches which will dull the appearance in time.
Thanks fpr the advice will try and wash Eric tomorrow, with soap and sponge and have bought a real chamois from Halfords. Oh and treated myself to a bucket too !! Just haven't used any of the washing gear yet !!!
do any of you guys use "quick detailer" on the car? Its pretty schweet. great for wiping off bird dew-dew as well as other things that deside to stick to your paint. It includes a libricant to reduce scratching.

Its great, too if you car gets splashed by water. you wipe down the car, and then spray a little quick detailer and wipe. they use it at car shows to maintain the cars throughtout the day as they get covered with cheetos colored fingerprints!
Eos washing

As for me, I do it the old fashion way. Also, I use only high quality products, such as Meguiar's NXT product line.

1. Park Eos in shady area, sunny area washing = bad, bad, bad
2. Rinse thoroughly with cold water, low pressure only
3. Soft sponge bath with cold soapy water (Meguiar's soap)
4. Attack bug splats with fish-net sponge in circular motions only
5. DO NOT let soapy water dry on surface (work small areas if necessary)
6. Thorough rising with cold water, low pressure only
7. Thorough dry with shammi or terry cloth towels
8. Don't forget to wipe down and dry inside of door sills
9. Wheel detail every 2-weeks or as needed
10. Good waxing twice yearly (Meguiar's)
11. Enjoy...
See less See more
do any of you guys use "quick detailer" on the car? Its pretty schweet. great for wiping off bird dew-dew as well as other things that deside to stick to your paint. It includes a libricant to reduce scratching.

Its great, too if you car gets splashed by water. you wipe down the car, and then spray a little quick detailer and wipe. they use it at car shows to maintain the cars throughtout the day as they get covered with cheetos colored fingerprints!
Good advice, cheers. This is new to me but I've checked it out on 'tinternet and it looks very good indeed, so I will purchase some!!

Cheers

paul:cool:
Deanintemp.... very good breakdown.... near gospel...

to add to that, After the wash, I do use quick detailer on the car... nothing is more satisfying than applying quick detailer on a freshly washed car, and seeing only a white towel when you are done.. sniff.. the beauty of it.. it gets me all misty!!! sniff sniff...

to add to that, After the wash, I do use quick detailer on the car... nothing is more satisfying than applying quick detailer on a freshly washed car, and seeing only a white towel when you are done.. sniff.. the beauty of it.. it gets me all misty!!! sniff sniff...

I had a look at Meguires quick detailer yesterday. What exactly is it? It's £10 a bottle in Halfords (or Halfrauds as I call it), so would like to know it's used for b4 shelling out the cash.
Detailer

Archia, I would like to know more about the detailer too. Is it a step you use every time you wash? How is it applied and what are the effects?

I do the same. Quick detailer leaves a nice glossy smooth finish on the car and can be done rather quickly. All I do is wash and use quick detailer afterward to remove any waterspots and give a nice shine. I can quick detail my car in about 10-15min if im in a rush. Just spray and wipe!
^^^^^^^^^
what he said!!

If you already have a wax on the car, its great for getting rid of liitle sap hits, bird bombs, finger prints, water spots that may appear from splaches onto you car. After a wash its great because it helps maintain that just waxrd look that the car had when it was waxed.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.