Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had previously posted about the car starting but wouldn't continue to run... similar effect to a no chipped key trying to start a car. Have since taken it to local garage with no luck. Wires were followed back to computer with no signs of issue. They found that it has no RPM signal but don't know what to do about that or where to look. Any suggestions I can give them before it goes to an expensive dealer?

·
Registered
847 Posts
If they said it has no RPM signal, I guess they did some form of diagnostics on it, so I'm surprised they drew a blank on the next steps. You should be able to get a live view of the engine RPM using measuring block 001 on the ECU with VCDS, OBDeleven or your favourite other VAG diagnostic tool. If it shows zero while the engine is running, that is likely to indicate a problem with the crankshaft position sensor. Its location depends on your engine code, but you should be able to find information on it with a simple enough internet search.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
As aku says, the first thing a computer controlled engine must see is an output from the crankshaft position sensor. If an engine turns over on the key the ECU reqires the crank sensor to be giving out a signal AND the immobilizer needs to be inactive. From what you say about the fault as you described, it doesn't sound as though they are a V.W dealership with V.W diagnostics? Your kind of problem should be easy peasy for 'guided fault finding' and you shouldn't need to tell a competent mechanic anything?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts