Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

If you havent already seen ALDI are doing a code reader for £15 which comes with a book with all the fault code diagnosis.

i bought it and it seemed to work ok on diagnosing a MAF fault on the wifes Qashqai.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Since you're new here, maybe you're also new to VW group cars.

The diagnostics system in VWs does much more than provide fault codes: it allows you to read live data from pretty much every sensor in the car, and configure a whole bunch of things about how the car behaves.

Of course, you have to spend a little more to get something that will do VW-specific stuff. In order of cost:
hand-held scanners allow you to do basic stuff (no long coding)
OBDeleven is a Bluetooth dongle that pairs with an Android smartphone and will do everything you need, just in not as friendly a manner as...
VCDS, which people here have most experience with.

And then there's the official dealer tool, but that's another story...

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Somebody needs to buy one first and try it on an EOS roof. :confused: If this scanner turns out to be a basic scanner which most are, it may not be any good for diagnosing roof sensor faults unique to the EOS. Since this is a cheaper tool only giving out a fault code, you would have to use the internet to find out what it means.

All vehicle manufacturers are now required to make their diagnostics systems compatible, but this only extends to basic car and engine faults and can exclude the complex EOS roof parts , diesel dpf measurements, accessory modules, infotainment and much more.

An important requirement from a decent diagnostic tool is the ability to get 'live data'. Gettting back a fault code is one thing, watching for changes in roof sensors as the roof moves, or getting data on engine components and what they are doing is another.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Found it: https://www.aldi.co.uk/auto-xs-vehicle-code-reader/p/086756235912300

Looks like a generic code reader, it won't do any live data.

Although the hand-held scanner I linked to will do live data, even on the roof module, but it won't be as easy to use as VCDS or OBDeleven as the functionality is quite basic and the settings and values don't have labels on.

·
Super Moderator
2,308 Posts
I cannot read something like this without remembering a saying from my grandfather "you only get what you pay for" and this is a classic example.

I will add another of mine from times spent on rural properties during my childhood and teenage years "as useful as tits [teats] on a bull".

A complete waste of money for a DIY owner IMHO - spend the extra money and get a VCDS that provides both information and. more importantly, a forum where analysis and advice on specific problems is readily available.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I agree, Silvershadow. Well worth it. It's saved me money SO MANY times....

I have 2 VWs, so it's "half" the cost for me!
;- )

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
I absolutely agree. When it comes to getting help solving problems from a forum, nobody wants to waste time giving misleading advice because posters source data is restricted to fault codes. :( The next fault finding step is often to do something else.

The internet is full of generic fault codes and advice, but often the advice can be conflicting because real faults are usually complex with interdependent factors which may or may not be relevant, This wouldn't be a problem if suspect parts cost a few cents, but parts and labor cost can be huge for modern cars and your diagnosis needs to be based on extra work. It is a fallacy to assume that a fault code reader tells you what's wrong and you go and buy the suspect part. A diagnostic tool is a tool to help you work with quite complex fault scenarios.

Keeping a fault code reader in the car can be a good idea to give a feeling of what may be wrong and how serious. But unless you have mobile internet access or the reader interprets the codes it gives you, you are no better off.

You can buy a cheap VW generic code reader for about $8 and use it with Ross-Techs free version of vcds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts