Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new owner of a new EOS and am slightly concerned at how different the car feels topless. I can on occasion getquite a severe vibration through the steering wheel which feels like badly balanced wheels, but balancing would surely affect the car roof up or roof down. Anyone any ideas. As all reviews seems to suggest this is one of the best cars for eliminating vibration, twisting etc, it bothers me somewhat

·
Registered
304 Posts
Almost any monocoque convertible car is going to be less stiff than a car with a roof - the simple mechanics of the structure see to that no matter how much under floor stiffening there is. ;) With the metal roof up, a lot of that stiffness is restored. :)The rougher the road you drive over, and the stiffer the suspension, the worse it can feel. :(

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I am a new owner of a new EOS and am slightly concerned at how different the car feels topless. I can on occasion getquite a severe vibration through the steering wheel which feels like badly balanced wheels, but balancing would surely affect the car roof up or roof down. Anyone any ideas. As all reviews seems to suggest this is one of the best cars for eliminating vibration, twisting etc, it bothers me somewhat
What Odie said.

Plus, the vibration you feel is called "Cowl Shake". It is quite normal for almost every open top car.

With the Eos and other "hardtop" convertibles, they stiffen up when the top is up. Almost as stiff as a sedan.

When I had my 2008 Chrysler Sebring Convertible, it had less cowl shake than any open car I have ever owned. The designers stiffened the car intentionally to eliminate that problem. It caused the car to be extremely heavy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think that in this particular instance is is all down to driver incompetence!!

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Growing old disgracefully
239 Posts
I think that in this particular instance is is all down to driver incompetence!!
Incompetence? That's somewhat harsh, a lack of knowledge does not necessarily indicate incompetence.

I would suggest that the explanation given above was a more beneficial approach to the matter.

The EOS is claimed to be good in its class and it may seem to a new owner that there is more shake than they would have expected, this undoubtedly being due to a poor or deformed road surface

I would also like to point out that the EOS is less prone to skuttle shake that many similar convertibles and to get my Pug 306 to a similar standard I have had to modify the car in several areas.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Its OK Topless, I know Eos_dimhead....!!!!
I currently have a Pug 308 on hire... its aweful. Everything shakes, particularly the rear seatbelt straps..

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Thank you for your kind comments Grotbag. I won't pretend that I'm not who you think I am, but that does not mean there will be no retribution!!
Good for you, dimhead.;) There is a smart arse in every crowd.:rolleyes:

Groty bag has no idea what he is talking about. I suggest he is barely in his 20s with a maturity level in the early teens. :D JMHO, of course, no judgement intended.

I have been driving convertibles off and on, all my atual driving life (53 years).

All of them from the early years to present have a degree of "Shake".

The great thing about the Eos and other hard top convertibles is that when the top is up and locked into place, these cars are completely twist free.

I have fun, with or without the cover up and so will you. :cool: You will get used to the feeling. Again, it is completely normal.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks D P, if only I was in my early 20's..... but maturity levels? you may be right :)

Actually I do know what I'm talking about, My EOS (RIP) had no shake with the roof down unlike the PUG 308.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
I guess I must be incompetent also as I've NEVER felt any additional vibration with the top down. However, I seldom exceed 60 MPH in the topless mode.

·
Registered
49 Posts
this is my first convertible and I notice the shake regularly. Particularly on a small stretch of road I travel every day, at a particular speed around 70kph. Very obviously shakes top down - never with the top up. Its minor, but its there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.