Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 is drinking oil but there's no leak and the engine is not smoking. It seems to be getting through about a pint every 500 miles.

Any suggestions?

·
Life is good... so far
1,043 Posts
Many theories, no absolute answer. Some think improperly installed rings, valve guide/seat issues, or turbo blow by due to a bad seal within in the turbo. Happened in 07 and 08 engines from new. Different engine in 09. Just keep checking oil level. Should improve some with highway driving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had my 2007 petrol eos New with oil consumption right at delivery . Started at .3 liters per 1000 miles. Now at 80k miles I add .8 liters of oil every 1000 miles. My detective work online has me guessing it was how they honed the cylinders and this causes leaks past the oil control ring. I call these vintage if eos , “ the smoky turbo club”. Has bothered me from day one but I top off every 1000 miles. Highway driving causes less burn between checks .

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Many theories, no absolute answer.
I can only comment from years of experience dismantling engines. I mean opening them up and replacing parts which modern service shops no longer do!

I had a car driven by an elderly lady who complained of excessive oil consumption at 20k miles. The same model and year car was used as business shared pool car with 50k on the odo using zero oil between 8K services. The business car was thrashed daily from new with attitude and no respect! Like rental cars, it would go on roads, tracks and at speeds no private car would.

The lady owner car had owned her car from new and drove it carefully for shopping trips. Unlike the business car, hers was in showroom condition without marks, drank oil and its exhaust smelled more like a diesel.

I lifted the head, saw massive carbon coking then pulled the rods and pistons. To my surprise, the original bore honing marks were still visible after 20k! The piston compression and oil control rings were totally gummed up with oil and carbon deposits. So bad that the oil control rings were stuck and could not expand into the piston bore. I measured the bore and pistons which were still at nominal 'as new' sizes.

The reason for this engine failure was obvious: The machining tolerances on modern engines are much tighter. Oval pistons with cast expansion inserts are used to give lower wear and overall higher mileage when the engine is running at its design temperature.

Short journeys on a cold engine do not allow these special pistons to seal well to the bore. Oil bypasses the rings and starts to burn producing carbon. Modern oils are designed to reduce engine wear and this doesn't help get the new pistons and rings to fit snug and even into freshly honed bores which until smooth, allow oil to leak past. If a new engine is driven at high speeds its parts will eventually wear in and any initial high oil consumption should go away.

The solution for this engine was a thorough de-coke and replace the piston rings. New oil and the car was driven by the lady's young son on regular commutes for 500 miles. The son was told to be a regular borrower of her car. It didn't burn any oil after that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi,

What oil are you using , as i did notice a slight increase in usage with 5w-30 vs 5w40 . switched to 5w-40 do to low miles and usage ?

Whats the mileage and have you done a compression test ?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
my first suspicions would be Turbo seals on a twelve year old high mileage car.

Mick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts