Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Eos 2.0T with 18,000 miles. After 1,700 miles oil has no lubrication to the touch. An oil analysis done at this interval revealed that crankcase is now 3.5% fuel. Extrapolating that would imply after the full 10,000 mile service interval that the crankcase would be 20% fuel. Even at 3.5% the viscosity has broken-down beyond acceptable limits. VW Techs (Manufacturer) say they’ve never “heard” of an oil analysis so they have nothing against which to compare (?) and since there is no “error code” they feel there is nothing wrong.

Has anyone done an oil analysis on his or her car? What levels of fuel have you found? What levels of viscosity breakdown? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm afraid I can't be of much help - I haven't heard of anyone having an oil analysis on a petrol car before. I read somewhere that up to 5% is OK for a diesel engine.
I guess a lot would depend on how you achieve your mileage and when the analysis was carried out. If you had the analysis done after a lot of short runs or just after starting the car to move it then shutting it off while cold then this will cause neat fuel to run down the cylinder bores. A longish (75miles +) highway run will usually burn off the fuel from the oil so I'm not sure that your extrapolation from 3.5% to 50% is valid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the follow up. From what I have read (for gasoline engines) any amount of fuel in the crankcase is a problem - oils formulated for gasoline engines are evidently not equipped to handle gasoline. 2% after 5,000+ miles is the absolute limit. My test reflecting 3.5% was done with materially fewer miles (only 1,700) and after a series of 100+ mile runs (so fuel that would have burned off, should have burned off). This would appear to be a real issue that neither the dealers nor the manufacturer are taking seriously.

Unfortunately, this is only one of the issues I have been chasing for the 2.5 years I've owned the car (purchased new). The other issues include a trunk lid that would not close (only recently fixed by replacing the latch after the dealers "adjusted it" no fewer than 5 times over the 2+ years), burns a quart of oil about every 1,000 miles (more on the highway - fuel burning off as you pointed out) and a top that will not rotate below 65 degrees F. Everything I bring up for whatever reason can not be duplicated by the dealer. The dealer technicians in the past have agreed that gasoline presence in the oil would be a concern but was dismissed by technicians as according to their educated feel and smell there was no gasoline and therefore no need to test. I run my own test from the dealer's sample showing material contamination from a reputable lab and now there is no metric against which to compare. I feel at this point one of the few remaining logical explanations as to why I can not seem to get anywhere is that there is an effort to let the warrantee run out before verification of a problem. I really hope that is not the case. That is why I am reaching out for other's experiences on at least the fuel issue.

·
Save the manuals!
474 Posts
Potential fuel dilution issues with these DI engines is another reason why I change the oil every 5K miles in our Eos. I haven't sent off a sample to Blackstone Labs (or elsewhere) yet, but plan to after the next change. We're not quite to 15K miles yet.

What a hoot that the VW techs claim they haven't heard of oil analysis. I have a hard time believing that.

A good website for oil geeks is www.bobistheoilguy.com, if you haven't checked it out already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I haven't sent off a sample to Blackstone Labs (or elsewhere) yet, but plan to after the next change. We're not quite to 15K miles yet.
Please let me know what you find.​

What a hoot that the VW techs claim they haven't heard of oil analysis. I have a hard time believing that.
You and me both.​

A good website for oil geeks is www.bobistheoilguy.com, if you haven't checked it out already.
Great site. Thanks!​

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Failed oil consumption test.

The 2008 Eos with 18,000 miles and gasoline in the crankcase failed the oil consumption test. The dealer is scheduled to "replace the piston rings". No one will comment whether or not this is related to the gasoline in the crankcase or whether replacing the rings will cure the gasoline issue. There is obviously something materially wrong with this car that multiple dealerships were willing to ignore and overall quality issues the manufacturer is unwilling to address.

Bottom Line: I am very disappointed with VW as a manufacturer as well as the lack of quality I have encountered in their dealer network.

Further note: I alluded earlier that the top was materially less likely to rotate in cooler weather (below 65 degrees F) and no less than four dealers could find anything wrong. I had to point out to the last one that there was visible hydraulic fluid leaking into the trunk area if one merely removed the Masonite cover the spare tire. So much for their prior "thorough inspections".

Dealer is trying to sell me on the 20,000 mile maintenance package for ~$300. As far as I can tell they are going to change the oil and rotate the tires (I have already had to replace the OEM tires as they lacked traction in rain, snow and dry pavement so someone else is already rotating the tires). Anyone have any insight to any additional value to the 20,000 mile maintenance?

Thanks.

·
Save the manuals!
474 Posts
If the 20K maintenance interval on the 2008 is anything like the 2009, it's a whole lot of looking and not a whole lot of doing. 5 qts of correct VW 502 spec oil and a filter runs about $45-50. Check your owner's manual or look up the schedule online to see what's included beyond an oil change. There are a number of things that are checked for the 20K interval on our 2009 Eos, but I plan on doing this type stuff myself after the 3-yr "Carefree Maintenance" is over. It's not rocket surgery to measure brake pad thickness, check for leaks, etc.

If you feel like turning a wrench yourself, spend part of that $300 on the Bentley Repair Manual DVD. You should be able to find it online for around $100. Great source of information, and it will give you procedures for all the maintenance tasks.

I hope the piston ring replacement takes care of your gas in the oil problem. The dealer picked up on that by doing a compression test, I'm guessing. I've heard of leaky injectors also causing this problem (excess gas washes down the piston walls), but that's obviously a lot easier to fix than tearing the engine apart for rings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Combination problem

If you had fuel leaks from the injectors, that could account for the gasoline diluting the oil. The diluted oil would account for the premature wear on the piston rings. Unless you drove other VW's with the same engine, would wouldn't sense yours was not up to par in power and performance, therefore you would not realize you were stuck with a bad engine from the start. It happens. There's a point where you stop putting more money into this car than it's worth, it may be time to trade it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WHSTRAT - I am quickly coming to the same conclusion that the car is a lemon and the VW system is either unable to unwilling to fix it before the warrantee runs out. As a result selling the car might be for the best.

Thanks to everyone for their insights and thoughts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts