Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Was just wondering at what outside temperature is it safe to drop the roof ?
Also would the MDF give a warning ⚠
Depending on the weather temperature ?

·
Registered
2012 VW EOS 2.0 TSi LUX, 80k miles.
230 Posts
Hi guys
Was just wondering at what outside temperature is it safe to drop the roof ?
Also would the MDF give a warning ⚠
Depending on the weather temperature ?
I'd say "technically" anything above freezing (0C/32F), as a safe bet. The roof should actually function below freezing, as its electrically driven.

I doubt that they MDF would give a warning.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
The roof should actually function below freezing, as its electrically driven.
True only for the electrohydraulics, but if the soft plyable roof seals are not well lubricated, absorb moisture and freeze, they will be ripped up as the roof opens. It's a common problem seen on door seals when a car is well frozen and doors are forced open.

The EOS like most V.Ws puts up an mfd warning snowflake and a 'ding' when outside temperature drops below 4 deg.C. But this is not linked to the roof to disable its operation AFAIK.

·
Registered
230 Posts
True only for the electrohydraulics, but if the soft plyable roof seals are not well lubricated, absorb moisture and freeze, they will be ripped up as the roof opens. It's a common problem seen on door seals when a car is well frozen and doors are forced open.

The EOS like most V.Ws puts up an mfd warning snowflake and a 'ding' when outside temperature drops below 4 deg.C. But this is not linked to the roof to disable its operation AFAIK.
That's a good point, though practically, no one is going to open the roof when its below freezing, so that "issue" is more theoretical than real world.

I will keep that in mind for MY12 EOS, as we do plan to use her in the Winter here in Boston. (ie, don't force the doors open, if the windows dont drop and unseal first).

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
You don't have the same kind of snow and ice freezing we get in U.K. You may have lower temperatures, but we have temperatures going up and down above and below freezing during the night. The EOS isn't a good car to leave outside during these conditions. Without roof gutters water is always running around and over door seals only to freeze up. The door locks are also poor in freezing conditions because the door cavities leak water inside from poor design external wiper seals.

During Winter I put a thermostatically controlled heater in the footwell which uses a safe low voltage power supply. That keeps the cabin warm and dry at >2 deg.C, with no early morning start window fogging.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You don't have the same kind of snow and ice freezing we get in U.K. You may have lower temperatures, but we have temperatures going up and down above and below freezing during the night. The EOS isn't a good car to leave outside during these conditions. Without roof gutters water is always running around and over door seals only to freeze up. The door locks are also poor in freezing conditions because the door cavities leak water inside from poor design external wiper seals.

During Winter I put a thermostatically controlled heater in the footwell which uses a safe low voltage power supply. That keeps the cabin warm and dry at >2 deg.C, with no early morning start window fogging.
MY12 Lux is going to be garaged when not being used in the winter, so hopefully that won't be an issue with our EoS.

·
Registered
446 Posts

Hi Vox, hope all is well, I got back from sea on the 31st of July (only had 8 days off from the end of December until then lol) and have spent the past few weeks redoing my back garden and part of it included a gazebo carport on the drive for my Eos (I have got the frame well secured down and the roof bit has had reinforced lashings so hopefully it will be wind proof and survive the winter) as I don't want to keep putting the cover on every night only to remove it again each morning when I'm going to be using the car. We've had a few showers since I've had the gazebo up and the Eos has remained dry so hopefully I won't be getting frozen seals or windows this winter 🤞
Wheel Tire Leg Automotive tire Road surface
Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Hi, you got back with some good U.K weather still remaining until the fall. I put up a gazebo once which lasted a couple of years until a big wind lifted it up and away during a February storm! I can see you have weights or something on the corners, but I'd also drive in some large stakes. I learned something about gazebos: The cheap one I used didn't have a vent flap in the top to stop the wind 'uplift'.

I don't mind snow on my car because it keeps it nice and warm and brushes off easily - my neighbor uses his leaf blower! The U.K problem is nightime snow thaws and re-freezes leaving solid ice to shift. I now use some Krytox on the door seals as a precaution and learned the hard way never to put wipers on until I've lifted the blades and checked they are free.

My car covers have worked very well but are a pain taking them off each Winter morning for a commute - gazebos are a better bet.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi Vox, hope all is well, I got back from sea on the 31st of July (only had 8 days off from the end of December until then lol) and have spent the past few weeks redoing my back garden and part of it included a gazebo carport on the drive for my Eos (I have got the frame well secured down and the roof bit has had reinforced lashings so hopefully it will be wind proof and survive the winter) as I don't want to keep putting the cover on every night only to remove it again each morning when I'm going to be using the car. We've had a few showers since I've had the gazebo up and the Eos has remained dry so hopefully I won't be getting frozen seals or windows this winter 🤞 View attachment 23825 View attachment 23824
Looking at the last picture, I hope that you arent leaving the EOS with the top down, under the Gazebo "overnight".

·
Registered
446 Posts
Looking at the last picture, I hope that you arent leaving the EOS with the top down, under the Gazebo "overnight".
No intention, why would I lol

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi, you got back with some good U.K weather still remaining until the fall. I put up a gazebo once which lasted a couple of years until a big wind lifted it up and away during a February storm! I can see you have weights or something on the corners, but I'd also drive in some large stakes. I learned something about gazebos: The cheap one I used didn't have a vent flap in the top to stop the wind 'uplift'.

I don't mind snow on my car because it keeps it nice and warm and brushes off easily - my neighbor uses his leaf blower! The U.K problem is nightime snow thaws and re-freezes leaving solid ice to shift. I now use some Krytox on the door seals as a precaution and learned the hard way never to put wipers on until I've lifted the blades and checked they are free.

My car covers have worked very well but are a pain taking them off each Winter morning for a commute - gazebos are a better bet.
Hi Vox,

Wind uplift was a concern so as well as using the supplied weight bags full of gravel I have put a further set to each leg corner and attached the 2 legs closest to the fence to it and the canopy itself which was more a worry incase the wind rips it off the secured down frame I have used the guyrope eyelets in each corner to attach it permanently to the frame using tie wraps and on each side between the canopy and frame I have attached it further 3 more times so hopefully it won't be lifted away....I am looking this winter to see how it fares then maybe erecting a permanent car port in its place but fingers crossed the gazebo will hold out and surprise us.

I get what you say regards covers and to be honest I've always been happy with the performance of mine but you obviously have a lot more patience than me as I find it such a chore to put on and remove every day/morning lol

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
but you obviously have a lot more patience than me as I find it such a chore to put on and remove
I learned the hard way. I would throw it over the roof and it would slide off. Now I stick my finger in the air, ascertain the wind direction and throw it over into wind. Just like take off in a light plane! Then the wind helps hold it to the far side. I also put some long ropes on it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I learned the hard way. I would throw it over the roof and it would slide off. Now I stick my finger in the air, ascertain the wind direction and throw it over into wind. Just like take off in a light plane! Then the wind helps hold it to the far side. I also put some long ropes on it.
That sounds like the perfect method...I used to use small ratchet straps on mine to hold it around the car.

The biggest pain I found was actually putting it somewhere temporary when using the Eos, I didn't want to keep folding it up just to unfold it again later the same day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts