Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone had been driving the car and it turns out they ran a few tanks of regular unleaded then brought it back with no fuel soo it died as soon as I tried to start it up to get to the station. It didn't want to turn over but when it finally did the epc and cel lights were on and it ran bad. I pulled the battery cables and tried to reset everything. Ran fine for a few hours then came back on and ran like crap.

Upon startup the cel flashes then once I start driving for a minute or 2 it goes solid and the epc light comes on. Initially taking off from a stop is really bad and sometimes it will rev past 4k. And it stutters and hesitates and bucks under about 2400 rpm. But if I drive a little harder and give it more gas it smooths out.

Codes are p0300, p0304, p0303, p050A

2.0tsi 2014

What should start with? Could this have been caused by running out of fuel? Actually I was told this wasn't the only time she ran it out and was using the cheapest fuel she saw whenever she drove it.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
When a fuel injection engine runs out of fuel, the fuel system from the tank to fuel injectors might need to be purged of air and any rubbish that might have been picked up from the tank. Most of this work needs diagnostics and there could be consequential damage to investigate.

I'd never drive a fuel injected engine with a very expensive high pressure fuel pump if I thought it had drawn air into the fuel delivery system. Neither will I drive an Efi car for miles that's registering below 1/4 full with an amber low fuel warning lit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When a fuel injection engine runs out of fuel, the fuel system from the tank to fuel injectors might need to be purged of air and any rubbish that might have been picked up from the tank. Most of this work needs diagnostics and there could be consequential damage to investigate.

I'd never drive a fuel injected engine with a very expensive high pressure fuel pump if I thought it had drawn air into the fuel delivery system. Neither will I drive an Efi car for miles that's registering below 1/4 full with an amber low fuel warning lit.

I wouldn't either. I always run the proper octane fuel and stay above a third of a tank. But I had no idea it was being ran low and with regular unleaded until now.

I'm hoping its just debris. But I've ran a tank and a half of premium gas and fuel system cleaner and still nothing. Feels a tad bit better but the issues persist. Sadly this happened at the most inopportune time. I'm thinking about possibly going to a salvage yard to pull some injectors off another compatible car, getting a fuel filter from autozone, then pulling mine to see if the ones for 3 and 4 are clogged and either cleaning or swapping them

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
I'm thinking about possibly going to a salvage yard to pull some injectors off another compatible car
You can't just do that because DI fuel injectors are individually calibrated and each calibration value is entered into the ECU with diagnostics. If you don't mark each fuel injector before taking them out and get them mixed up, you will need diagnostics to read back which fuel injector went where. Read up about Bosch Direct Injection fuel injectors before you blindly start pulling things apart and get in a mess.

You have to go through the same process as somebody putting diesel in your gas tank. I went through an injector problem on a Tdi and it's a logical process that has to be done carefully, otherwise you could end up with expensive collateral damage and no solution. You should remove any suspect gas in the tank, pour in some fresh, remove the fuel filter, disable the HP pump and run the LP pump to bring fresh fuel through from the tank. Then with a new filter you have to re-enable the HP fuel pump and run it for 2 lots of 30 seconds with a rest in between. By then, any air should have come out via the injector leak offs but you can attach a leak back test kit to check that. You can check injectors by measuring the leak back on each and they should all be about the same. Injectors don't always come out as easy as you might think!

However, all this is done using diagnostics which can also confirm the LP and HP fuel rail pressure. Only when fuel is at the correct regulated pressure in the fuel rail with no air or bad fuel in the system will you get a clean engine start and smooth running. Your car may be new enough to have Bosch piezo injectors, they are tricky, very expensive if faulty and have additional calibration codes per injector set in the ECU. Nobody repairs them. Good Luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got ready to finally get a good look at everything since I finally got a day off. Car sounded horrible when I started it, now I have more codes

Hand Cloud Gesture Font Finger

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Why do you think a computer printout will fix your problem? Have you done post #4 yet? If somebody poured sand in my gas tank or diesel fuel, the last thing I would do is keep running the engine and looking at fault codes which could bear no logical relationship with the primary cause - contaminated fuel and consequential faults in the fuel delivery system. Fault finding has to follow a logical path and you eliminate most probable causes before looking with a computer. That means you have to do some work or let more knowledgable people do it.

What you can deduce from the printout is all 4 cylinders are misfiring and human deduction would conclude it's something common to all 4 - Fuel, air, or sparks. Given how badly the car was treated in your first post, you need to ensure there is fuel delivery at the right time and pressure first. But keep looking, you might find a YouTube video to solve your problem.

·
Registered
133 Posts
P2015 fault is significant and could be the cause of the engine running roughly.
I had an issue recently where I started the car one morning, the intake noise was loud, it was idling at a higher speed than normal and the engine was hunting at idle. Fortunately, after a minute or so, this resloved itself but the CEL light was on so I scanned the vehicle and the P2015 fault code presented.
I showed the scan to my very experienced VW independent repairer who advised replacement of the manifold was needed, so I'm living on borrowed time!
It's a known issue with these engines and, if I'm not mistaken VW America covered this issue for an extended period of time, unlike VW Australia who ducked for cover and denied there ever was an issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had purchased 2 injectors and was going to swap them out since I assumed the issue was caused by crud from them running dry getting sucked through the system. However after seeing what's going on now I'm pretty sure I need to go get fuel pumps and a filter as well. I work long hours with few full days off and soo I don't have time to let it sit at a shop all week along with most places not even being open when I'm not at work. Soo I have to quickly get what may need replacing and change it in the few hours I have

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had purchased 2 injectors and was going to swap them out since I assumed the issue was caused by crud from them running dry getting sucked through the system. However after seeing what's going on now I'm pretty sure I need to go get fuel pumps and a filter as well. I work long hours with few full days off and soo I don't have time to let it sit at a shop all week along with most places not even being open when I'm not at work. Soo I have to quickly get what may need replacing and change it in the few hours I have
Which of those fault codes leads you to believe the fuel pumps/filter are the cause of the problem? Must say it is strange you have new fault codes that were not present previously.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which of those fault codes leads you to believe the fuel pumps/filter are the cause of the problem? Must say it is strange you have new fault codes that were not present previously.

I'm assuming that because now there's a misfire across all cylinders, no fuel smell. I'm anticipating being having a few hours between jobs Friday soo I'll be able to confirm my suspicions then

1 - 10 of 10 Posts