1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help.

I have a 2009 EOS TSI 2.0T
Recently had a p2181 code come on

After reading previous forums on this subject and doing my own diagnostic work. I really could not tell whether it was the stat, cts, or the pump...
but i really thought it was just that stat and had planned on replacing both stat and sensor.....

Alas, I took it to the local VW mechanic (not dealer) for him to diagnose.

He just called me back and told me that according to my engine, the STAT, CTS AND PUMP are all located in the SAME housing and I need to have all 3 replaced at the same time.

He is quoting me $850 for the entire job. Says it will take about 5 hours.

Does this sound correct???

From everything I read before I thought I could replace the stat and CTS independent of the water pump.

Any advice would be appreciated!
thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi. Sometimes it's worth do the lot, rather than having to go back into the housing 6 months later when the pump has failed. It's like having the cam belt and water pump done, does it need a new pump?. If he told you it would cost you a certain amount for other work, but while I'm at it, then it'll be would be worth doing while I've got it apart and it's only a new pump and no labour, then least you'd feel like you have a choice. Not sure about labour time, as I've never done one.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
You need to make a judgement call based on age and mileage. If the car has done 60K+ and you don't DIY your own repairs, then it's probably time for a replacement pump.

He just called me back and told me that according to my engine, the STAT, CTS AND PUMP are all located in the SAME housing and I need to have all 3 replaced at the same time.
Unless I looked at the wrong parts, what he really means is the stat and sensor are in the same housing and can be replaced (fairly easily and cheaply) but not wanting any come back, he'd rather replace the lot which is more expensive for you on labor and parts, but he gets the car out of the workshop quickly ready to make money on the next one. That way you never get to find out if your problem was a faulty sensor, its wiring, or the thermostat - but you get back a working car. however, he would still have to drain down and refill with coolant.

If you were doing these things yourself you would hook up vcds diagnostics and that would give clues and measure temperatures, rather than just spit out a fault code.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.