Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having problems accelerating in my 2009 EOS. Gentle acceleration is OK, but harder and it sputters and throws misfire error codes and EPC light. Replaced spark plugs and coils, and had fuel injectors cleaned. Same issue.
I saw thread that implicate the mechatronics unit, but was thinking it could also be fuel pump.

I know I should take to the dealer to troubleshoot, but want to prepare myself for the cost of the repair.

thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dan,

I just had the same exact problem. The dealer did an intake valve cleaning (don’t recall the name, but it cleans off built up carbon from where they get sprayed with fuel). Then they said to replace plugs and coils (their estimat $550). So I did it myself using parts and videos from DeutchAutoParts.com for about $130.

Then when replaced, still had sputtering, and irregular idle. I found this 2nd problem, probably the original cause for the sputtering. A vacuum leak in the PCV valve. I bough the part from DAP for $40 and used their video to replace(very simple for my older FSI engine, 4 thin bolts). On my first test drive, the sputtering was gone and had additional, steady power, better than when I bought it used last year.

Just check out the Deutche Auto videos. I can send you a link to a doc they have to determine which engine type you have. Then the PCV valve part needs to match your engine type.

Let me know if you want to fix it yourself. You should first check if you are having vacuum leak codes. But it is a common problem, happens mostly around 50k miles, but could occur earlier.

Get the PCV Valve replaced before you spring big bucks for the plugs and coils ($130-150).
Hope this helps! My car has been running great for the past 3 weeks since I fixed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Having problems accelerating in my 2009 EOS. Gentle acceleration is OK, but harder and it sputters and throws misfire error codes and EPC light. Replaced spark plugs and coils, and had fuel injectors cleaned. Same issue.
I saw thread that implicate the mechatronics unit, but was thinking it could also be fuel pump.

I know I should take to the dealer to troubleshoot, but want to prepare myself for the cost of the repair.

thanks,
Dan
Hi Dan:
I am interested to know how many miles your car has, and what brand of fuel you used most in this car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI - I decided to bring it back to the local mechanic and have them do a smoke test to see if there is a vacuum leak. DAP was very nice to talk to and would have sold me a new PCV Valve 06H103495AC, but recommended the better thing to do is troubleshoot to ensure the root cause is found. Will bring it in on Saturday (Jan 26) and report back.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
What are the diagnostics scan results? Smoke test? What for? :( IMHO Diagnostics in the hands of a competent person should be all that is needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: Problem Fixed! Mechanic hooked up diagnostic computer and found about 30 ground short errors. After doing some research on the Internet, he learned that relays often go bad, so he used a laser thermal device to find the relay that was running hotter. He replaced the $3 relay and woila! The Mechanic spent about hours total on troubleshooting, but only charged me for 2 hours. That was great!

The mechanic was Joe at Malley's Auto in Frankfort, IL.

Happy Driver, Dan!

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. I can't see how a relay can run hotter. :confused: But the trick with an IR thermometer with laser location is handy to know when you have a bunch of relays and need to know which are 'on' when it's hard to see if contacts are open or closed. Ground faults are possible. But diagnostics scanning with VW's VAS guided fault finding would have sent him looking at sensors and switching parts like relays.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update: Problem Fixed! Mechanic hooked up diagnostic computer and found about 30 ground short errors. After doing some research on the Internet, he learned that relays often go bad, so he used a laser thermal device to find the relay that was running hotter. He replaced the $3 relay and woila! The Mechanic spent about hours total on troubleshooting, but only charged me for 2 hours. That was great!

The mechanic was Joe at Malley's Auto in Frankfort, IL.

Happy Driver, Dan!
Thanks for your input on what was wrong with your EOS, can you please inform us of which relay was the problem and was replaced?
thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.