Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Black Individual 2.0 TSI
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks - applied krytox to roof seals the other week - bought some of the £2.99 stuff from Ebay. Used it sparingly - when it rains, a deposit streaks down the glass and door panels. Seems that it's the krytox washing off - anyone else tried it yet - results ?

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's what normally happens, even with the normal priced Krytox GPL105 I got from GBR Technology. ;) After a few rain storms or washes of the car it settles down, then I apply it again 4 months later and the whole process starts again. :) Afterall, AFAIK it isn't actually absorbed by the rubber, but rests on the surface. Even a small amount of excess will get washed away and cause smears.

So is it a possible issue with the cheap Krytox? I'd say not.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's what normally happens, even with the normal priced Krytox I got from GBR Technology. ;)
+1. A small price to pay to stop leaks and squeaks.

Have heard it can be cleaned off with a clean cloth and windscreen wash (I usually rub it off with just a clean dry cloth).

·
Black Individual 2.0 TSI
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what normally happens, even with the normal priced Krytox GPL105 I got from GBR Technology. ;) After a few rain storms or washes of the car it settles down, then I apply it again 4 months later and the whole process starts again. :) Afterall, AFAIK it isn't actually absorbed by the rubber, but rests on the surface. Even a small amount of excess will get washed away and cause smears.

So is it a possible issue with the cheap Krytox? I'd say not.
Thanks Odie - that's what I was looking for, someone who'd used the full priced pucka stuff and confirmed it acted in the same way.
Happy krytoxing.

·
Former Focus CC3 owner!
632 Posts
What I don't understand is why they can't produce a self-lubricating seal so that we didn't have this trauma in the first place! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
have yet to Krytox my car...had it about a month and going to do it very soon - just want to make sure that there is no damage to the paint from this draining down the side of the car?

·
Registered
304 Posts
have yet to Krytox my car...had it about a month and going to do it very soon - just want to make sure that there is no damage to the paint from this draining down the side of the car?
No problems at all, it's a pretty much inert fluid. :) The best stuff to wash off any over-application is, as mentioned before, a drop of screenwash. ;)

·
Rated EE: Eos Enthusiast
1,255 Posts
The runoff isn't pretty. I usually wax my car before applying the Krytox and then any excess smear from application wipes off with a microfibre cloth. Also, with Krytox, a little goes a long way and I really try to massage it into the seals instead of sitting on top of the seals.. When it rains it does run off onto the paint and windows but I am a fanatic for washing my cars anyway so about once a week I wash and dry and all looks good again. Just did some Meguiars polish and Carnuba wax and she's all shiny now. Probably this weekend if it is warm again, I'll put a little Krytox on again. I try to do this about every 3-4 months.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I will usually use another clean dry cloth to thoroughly wipe off after applying, that reduces the problem. Dont overall apply - you will hate it when it rain haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts