Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the UK, when I got my EOS (2008) the folding mirrors were part of the Luxury Pack:
my 2010 sport (pre-facelift) had the heated/folding/reverse-dip mirrors and i really miss them on my 2015 executive. i thought the executive was top-of-the-line...were they not available on post-facelift models?

so how much of a deal is it to add h/f/d mirrors? i really miss them for squeezing thru narrow gaps in traffic;-)

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Lots of work with some uncertainty: You need the mirrors, compatible door controllers, replacement mirror switch and will have to check wiring and do some programming.

I put them on MY07 pre-facelift without the dip function. Finding compatible door controllers that worked was a nightmare. I designed my own interface that uses the basic stock door controllers. My mirrors fold in and out automatically when I lock and unlock the car. I have a small neat rocker switch on the door card which I can use to manually fold them in and out for narrow gaps.

My mirror folds were used Ex Golf and at the mo. I don't think the nearside mirror is heated which I have to look into when I next have the card off.

·
Life is good... so far
1,214 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sadly for the US, VW did not dribble down its top tech to the MK 5 and MK 6 platforms on a consistent basis with only higher trims getting the good stuff. When looking at the US spec EOS, the Executive got the most “love.” Power folding mirrors were still a bit luxurious in the mid-2010s. My wife’s 2012 Tiguan SEL Premium had them as did the 2014 EOS Executive, but only the driver’s mirror dimmed and they did not auto-fold at ignition off or locking.

The 2015 Final Edition trim took the place of the Sport trim, with the addition of a back-up camera, but no other tech was added from what the Sport trim had.

I’m pretty sure that European markets could custom order an EOS (or any other VW) and add specific options to their trims, but our custom orders were trim level only with zero factory options. There were some Port Installed Options in the form of accessories, but no additional tech. Anyone in Europe want to chime in on how well that ordering process actually worked and could you add folding mirrors to an EOS as an option outside of your trim choice?

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
That's a good account of how the trim and extras seem to be rationed out to different regions. I'm always cautious of marketing descriptions like Executive, Sport etc because they aren't the same as a build spec. and new buyers may choose extra addons thus making two cars with the same name different.

The plain fact is the EOS is no longer manufactured and you have what you have, unless you are shopping for a used car when you may want more certainty of what you are buying. The question then becomes how easy or difficult is it to add extras that weren't fitted from new? For folding mirrors on a late model, you could be lucky and find the loom wiring is there and the control modules are a later version and can be re-programmed for replacement folding mirrors, but you or somebody would have to look first and get the controller hardware and software versions to check compatibility. But so many times I've found wiring missing when for a few beans extra they could have used the same loom across all model variants.

Depending on how you look at it, a new approach from the likes of BMW is to fit more extras pre-wired and then charge for them to be enabled active with a software key. Personally I wouldn't like it, but for those with money to spend and no experience of car modding, it's an option for them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my 2010 sport (pre-facelift) had the heated/folding/reverse-dip mirrors and i really miss them on my 2015 executive. i thought the executive was top-of-the-line...were they not available on post-facelift models? so how much of a deal is it to add h/f/d mirrors? i really miss them for squeezing thru narrow gaps in traffic;-)
I’m not sure about the 2015 executive but the 2014 executive does have the h/f/d side mirrors. I can’t believe they would have removed them from the 2015.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sadly for the US, VW did not dribble down its top tech to the MK 5 and MK 6 platforms on a consistent basis with only higher trims getting the good stuff. When looking at the US spec EOS, the Executive got the most “love.” Power folding mirrors were still a bit luxurious in the mid-2010s. My wife’s 2012 Tiguan SEL Premium had them as did the 2014 EOS Executive, but only the driver’s mirror dimmed and they did not auto-fold at ignition off or locking.

The 2015 Final Edition trim took the place of the Sport trim, with the addition of a back-up camera, but no other tech was added from what the Sport trim had.

I’m pretty sure that European markets could custom order an EOS (or any other VW) and add specific options to their trims, but our custom orders were trim level only with zero factory options. There were some Port Installed Options in the form of accessories, but no additional tech. Anyone in Europe want to chime in on how well that ordering process actually worked and could you add folding mirrors to an EOS as an option outside of your trim choice?
In my 2014 executive, I have the backup camera, heated mirrors on both sides. I have all the factory options on mine, not sure if it was because I was able to build mine from the website.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts