Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 EOS 2.0 TDI and since 2-3 days ago I started noticing a noise on my steering wheel while I am turning.

Today morning the noise was louder (at the point you could hear it with the radio on in comfortable volume level), but it usually gets quieter when i drive for some time (10-15mins)

The noise exists both when the engine is off or on, driving or stopped, and the pitch of the sound changes not with the engine RPM but how fast I turn the wheel

I read that this cars have an electro-mechanic steering so its impossible that some fluid is low, i guess

I managed to record the sound using my phone, but you can only hear it when the engine is off:

• Phone located on the dashboard: AAC sound file
  • Phone located in the engine compartment over the battery box and with the hood down: AAC sound file

Is it possible that it may be some bearing somewhere that needs replacement?
And its still strange that I hear the noise both inside the car and on the engine (according to the phone)

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
I read that this cars have an electro-mechanic steering so its impossible that some fluid is low
That is correct, there is no fluid. Just electric motors and electronic control. You shouldn't take chances with steering.:eek: Have a competent qualified workshop look at it. They will probably suggest a replacement steering rack. These days nobody repairs parts. On a 2006 EOS I would prepare myself for a replacement steering rack and recoding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, Im a kind of DIY guy, so whatever I can do at home I will try to do, in any case I guess this is more complex, so I will just ask the VW workshop.

I was just wondering if anyone had the same issue

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
If you don't have any software diagnostics tools you won't be getting very far.

If the noises are mechanical, the Stealer will just chalk you up for a new rack and fitting. Workshops don't take chances with reconditioning or repairing much these days, particularly brakes, steering parts and safety systems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car was on the VW service this monday for DSG oil/filter change, and check checked for errors, but from what I know there were no errors.
The car was also last week (Wednesday) on another workshop for engine oil/filter change and they told me nothing about errors.

Yesterday I was trying to check where the noise comes from but I didnt manage, i could hear it from anywhere.

Today when I was driving it seemed the noise was gone, lets see on the next days, if it will come back I will go to VW workshop.

Thanks for help, I was just trying to avoid spending a bunch of money on a new rack, specially when Im in a country that is not mine and where I have no knowledge of competent workshops apart from VW itself

1 - 5 of 5 Posts