Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2007 EOS. So far I love it.
I have been reading up on and slowly getting into the maintenance routines concerning the rough.
I have a front roof seal that is a bit wavy. Some sticks up higher than the roof, some fairly even with a slight slant downward toward the sunroof itself (back of vehicle).
I am not sure what the original, proper position should be. I have read about being able to rework the shape a bit when applying oil, and would like to try to slowly get these in proper position over the summer.
I presently have no known leaks, so that is a good thing!

If you can describe proper alignment with the roofline between wind shield and sunroof that would be great!
If you have a picture of proper appearance that would be even better!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Show us some photos to put your question into context?

The seals on MY07 are straight and true, if they were not, I'd do something about them. Most of the roof seals are tubular and hollow. When they start to look out of shape that is usually when there is no lube on the surfaces. When the sunroof or roof parts close in, the dry sections stick and cause the seal to pucker. The sunroof front seal at the top of the windshield body has a U profile all the way along and should run a smooth even line along its length. It is only pushed in and you can carefully work along and straighten it up with your fingers.

The design weakness in the sunroof seals is in the corners on the bends. Use a thin sheet of paper and check you get seal grip all the way around. The problem is the front seal half with the U channel is gripped by the body flange and on the corner radii particularly can work back from the body flange and then won't follow the seal curve in the roof, leaving a gap when the sunroof closes. I've been able to carefully massage mine with Krytox and with a little tugging restored seal contact on all 4 corners.

Roof seals should be lubricated twice a year and immediately if you aren't sure the PO did it recently.

·
Texans fan
46 Posts
Krytox - I purchased much more than most by going generic. So I use it more living in Texas and don't feel bad if I over use it. a little really does go a long way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
voxmagna- thanks for the info. I am attaching links to pictures.
This is from further away, showing it is more raised in the middle.

This is closer, showing one side where the transition occurs.

Also, the weather got pretty warm the last couple days, and the part in the middle that is higher appears to have become a bit lower. I also did a Krytox treatment about a week ago. But, I still am not sure which profile of the seal to work on reshaping.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Those seals are definitely not correct! They should have a tubular profile. Open the sunroof and see if you get an even tubular profile all the way along, like the start of the seal on the left side of your photos which is correct. They should sit like that all the way along.

Although you said there are no leaks, there are channels and a couple of water drains behind the sunroof glass. However, these drains are last resort because any water lying in there has bad long term corrosion effects, particularly on the sunroof cables and water effectively inside the cabin and not drained away, just adds to condensation build up.

What appears to have happened is the PO has neglected regular Krytoxing and the seals have puckered up and been left like that a long time and as I said, have now lost their tubular shape, taking on a semi permanent distorted set.

You may be able to recover them. Open the sunroof then massage along with your fingers wearing latex gloves and work in Krytox. Warming with a hair dryer can also help. Some of these hollow seals have a clever rubber ribbed core on bends that slides inside the hollow seal and helps the seal keep its shape. It seems to me they should have used that idea on most of their seals. I don't know if that is what distinguishes an early seal from a later 're-designed' seal.:confused:

MY07 had extensive investigation and seal replacement done under factory warranty. Later seal parts are supposed to be 'improved' but externally look the same? Adding a core to the hollow seals would reduce their tendency to pucker up when dry and deform like yours. Unfortunately, I can't easily confirm if my sunroof seals are hollow or have this rubber slide in core but mine are nice and tubular all the way along.

I think you should try to recover the original shape of your seals. Don't think you can easily go buy and fit a new seal, some of these seemingly simple jobs can involve a lot of work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts