Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The last time I removed my inner trunk liner, I noticed some dried water spots, it wasn't enough to localize where these might have come from. Since it was bugging me, I decided to pull the third brake light to clean and inspect it. I found a small hairline crack and the OEM silicone gasket seal was compromised in both corners. Normally I would just purchase a new third brake light but in this situation, decided to just clean and repair.

The red lens comes off the chrome frame easy enough. I used a needle application nozzle to apple a thin bead of super glue to the crack from the inside and reassembled the third brake light. Next was a thin bead of clear silicone sealant around the inner OEM gasket seal. Brake light was reinstalled and all the T20 torx screws tightened down. Of course some of the silicone sealant will squeeze out, so be ready with some Qtips and rubbing alcohol to clean everything up. The silicone sealant will make removal of the brake light more difficult, keep that in mind.

While I was in there, took out both backup light assemblies, cleaned them and inspected the black foam gaskets. Everything appeared to be ok, but nevertheless, ran a small bead of clear silicone between the gasket and light and between the gasket and vehicle body. Reinstalled and tightened down the three 10 mm bolts holding them in. Use of silicone sealant will make removal of your backup lights more difficult, maybe not the lights but the gaskets will need to be carefully removed so you don't tear them.

Did a cursory inspection of all the Molex connectors, including the one on the latch motor, no wire degradation or corrosion.

On my last visit under the liner, I ran a bead of silicone around the trunk handle, with the two bottom screws spinning freely in their threaded inserts, I was worried there might be enough of a gap to allow water ingress.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
My third high level led brake light has a small crack in the lens but no water leaking yet. I don't know why they get cracks, I think it must be poor quality plastic because it's not as if it's in a vulnerable place to be easily damaged?

Here's my post on the rear light assembly 'badly designed water traps'. Mine are fixed now. These are E.U rear lights.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts