Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a service on our EOS the VW main dealer phoned to advise that the “rear brake pads were 95 – 100% worn and would need replacing plus the discs which are scored”. I agreed to the work but I thought that when brake pads are worn below a certain thickness a sensor sent a warning signal to display on the dash. There was no such warning. Also if there was no material left on the pads then the metal to metal would create an audible squeal when the brakes were applied.
Thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Roy

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just replaced my rear pad, 2006 model, and it didn't have brake sensor wire. I think it's only the front ones which see more work and are more critical to actually stopping the car.
When the pads are totally worn out they make a grinding noise, rather than squeal, but perhaps were not that low to have been there yet. Brake discs do get scored during their life, so perhaps it was more that they had come to the end of their life.
You don't say mileage of car or discs, but mine are scored with only 56,000 on the clock and would probably say the same about mine if I took it into a dealers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shep.
Mileage is 38K - seems a tad low for disc change but so be it.
Roy

·
Super Moderator
2,308 Posts
Brake pad and disc life is determined by the type of driving, the driving environment and use of the car.

Also, keep in mind the fact that the dealer is not only rating the components as they are now but also on whether they have sufficient service life to get through to the next service plus a safety margin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've done the pads on our Eos myself and agree with Shep, the sensor wire is only in the front pads.

Would have been a good opportunity to get rid of the super dusty OEM pads too.
My wheels stay much cleaner these days :)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I've done the pads on our Eos myself and agree with Shep, the sensor wire is only in the front pads.

Would have been a good opportunity to get rid of the super dusty OEM pads too.

My wheels stay much cleaner these days :)

I have one pad sensor on the front and one pad sensor on the opposite side on the rear but mine is a 2010. I accidentally broke the front pad sensor wire on the front when I fitted lowering springs, as my pads were still quite new I just programmed the sensor out with vcds.

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Brake pad and disc life is determined by the type of driving
In my case it's determined by my low mileage insufficient driving! I'm not impressed with the metallurgy of these discs. Mine get pitted just standing and questions can be asked at mot.

The front discs lasted about 34k miles, which I thought was pretty poor. My EOS Sport has hard pads. Softer pads may produce more dust but discs wear less. I'd rather change softer pads more often than keep replacing the discs.

V.W use different types of caliper and disc combo across their model range. I have the (cheap) single piston horse shoe caliper type on 2 V.W cars and both give uneven pad wear, despite regularly cleaning the caliper slides and using some copper ease. I've never had this problem with symmetrical 4 pot calipers. I might look into an upgrade. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
2,308 Posts
Vox,

If you follow through with this idea, don't forget to match the brake master cylinder with the new calipers as the bore size required may be different if more fluid is needed for brake applications from multi-piston calipers compared to single piston calipers.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
They now recommend ceramic grease for pad sliders and I only put a dab of copper grease where the pad sits on the carrier to prevent rust binding the pad to carrier. When they manufacture cars they don't put any type of grease on the pads just ceramic on the slider mechanisms.

Mick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts