Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you to the community first off for seemingly making this an easy problem to diagnose. My right side roof beam will not move to retract into open position. I am getting no faults or sensors triggered so my first guess was something got bent or distorted. From what I can see the 'lever' that performs this action is not bent but a bolt does seem to be missing. Also it's a weird position where I dont know how it was bolted on to begin with. I have posted pictues... I am trying to be positive that it's nothing too catastrophic. Included pictures are of the suspected culprit and also one of how the left side looks.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Somebody here posted a similar problem within the last 2-3 weeks. They found a bolt inside the hinge mechanism and replaced it with Loctite on the threads. Search the posts here and come back if you can fix yours, because it seems like something that could cause a lot of hinge damage?

Have a good look at the bolt and what it's doing to see if you can come up with a mod. that stops it coming out. Get suspicious if it's a fastener put in thin sheet steel with only a few threads to hold it - Loctite is unlikely to be the permanent cure? I don't know what type of fastener it is or if it has a shoulder to allow parts to pivot? Is there clearance at the back for a lock nut? If there is room for a longer thread without fouling, is it possible to drill a 1/16" hole and pin it at the back? These hinges are assembled at the factory as complete units. It is possible other hinge parts are added after that bolt is fitted which could explain why you have difficulty getting to it? It's a Torx head without much clearance for a driver, I have a set of hex ended Torxes I use a small wrench on for tight spaces. Otherwise, grind off a short stub of the correct size Torx and arc weld the end into a piece of steel for a right angled handle.

If I'm correct about the other posting, this is an issue that could become common on older EOSs and your further investigation to help others would be appreciated. Don't be afraid to put right things that were not right to start with. I do it all the time!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Vox I just saw your post about the slide mechanism that extends forward. It seems that's why it didnt make sense to me how the lever was attached. It seems like it got stuck in the retracted position and the bolt broke off. Do you know of any methods of removing the clip that attaches the flap to the cars interior? I unfortunately cant find the bolt but found this... and well it concerns me

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Do you know of any methods of removing the clip that attaches the flap to the cars interior?
I can't be sure which 'flap' parts you mean? Many refer to the hinged flaps over the fish tanks and soft fabric flaps using the same word. Is that last photo showing a broken metal part - that would concern me because the shiny edges look as though it has been sheared off against something. The EOS roof is largely symmetrical and you should be able to look carefully over each side looking for differences. I'm not sure if you are inside the actual hinges or just the parts you can easily see pulling back some headlining? To be inside the hinges and the 'kick out' if that's where you are looking, you would need to have removed the headlining, top section trim cover and possibly the top outer roof member (roof beam?), the latter procedure being very tricky, even with a shop manual.

I have been inside and around the 'kick out' part of the hinge others had problems with, but only to wiggle the front and watch it seemingly flop about when the hinge is fully extended. I don't want to confuse you until I know exactly where you are and I can't make out much from the blurry photos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you're in the back seat of the vehicle and look directly around eye level... I believe it would be the headlining.. I actually believe I found a helpful video detailing how to remove the top trim cover in a video for manually opening the sunroof. I believe this week when I have a little more spare time I'm going to actually go into the vehicle more in depth. Thank you for the helpful tips on where to get started it's truly appreciated. Also that broken piece seems to be plastic.. just need to find the rest of it:unsure:

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You will only get more certainty after removing the linings and covers. I can't remember everything now, but there's a large ABS protective cover tray under the sunroof motor gubbins, well just above the driver and passenger heads. It could be a corner of that broken off as somebody over tightened a bolt without a washer under, but you need your eyes on to be sure. That would be a minor irritant and nothing to do with the roof mechanism.

DO NOT start remove the headlining at the top near the rear window, leave it attached and hanging down. You will never get it back once removed! Have fun with the tensioned black strings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts